2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

1 hour ago, Lodestar said:

Matthews visited a bunch of teams and has serious medical issues. The Patriots didn't sign him for pennies just because they're geniuses and we're "asleep at the wheel."

This. But speaking to truth rationally around here is not the norm.

1 hour ago, Lodestar said:

Matthews visited a bunch of teams and has serious medical issues. The Patriots didn't sign him for pennies just because they're geniuses and we're "asleep at the wheel."

That they signed him for 170k gtd means we should have done it if we could and means it's a good move.  170k gtd accounts for the injury risk.

if the injuries don't come around, then you have lost 0.17M against the cap which is nothing.  If they do come around then you have a bona fide NFL Low end 2nd high end 3rd WR.  BTW, I'm not a matthews fan as far as his fit on this squad.  Think he's a slot only guy.

7 hours ago, PackFan4Life said:

This. But speaking to truth rationally around here is not the norm.

170k guaranteed, that's pretty damn good. Injuries or not there's no risk, if we passed on that we're fools. Although with the Cooks trade I think it's more than likely he simply chose them over us.

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

170k guaranteed, that's pretty damn good. Injuries or not there's no risk, if we passed on that we're fools. Although with the Cooks trade I think it's more than likely he simply chose them over us.

Do we know definitively that GB made an offer?  If anyone here knows for sure, please let us know.  Until then, what’s “foolish” is speculation.

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

That's what the "if" is for is it not?

I highlighted it, so yes, I saw it and I know what it means.  

Moving on from your “if” comment, my personal take on this situation is this:  I’m giving the Green Bay Packers the benefit of the doubt here.  And unless I hear otherwise, I’m not inclined to even speculate for a second that I know more about Matthews or his medical situation than the good folks at 1265, much less speculate whether GB made an offer or decided to take a pass.  From what I’ve read, all we fans really know is that he flew to GB, met with the team, and left without an offer.  I trust that if Gute passed on an offer, he had good reason.

New England is far more hard up for WR's than we are. They traded away Cooks because that situation didn't work out, they lost Amendola, Edelman is coming back from a serious injury so you don't know what you have with him until you see him play AND he's no spring chicken, Malcolm Mitchell was banged up as well last year and put on IR, and you have Chris Hogan who is a possession receiver. Frankly, they have no true WR1 and now they're without their starting LT. Desperation signing if you ask me...

50 minutes ago, Joe said:

New England is far more hard up for WR's than we are. They traded away Cooks because that situation didn't work out, they lost Amendola, Edelman is coming back from a serious injury so you don't know what you have with him until you see him play AND he's no spring chicken, Malcolm Mitchell was banged up as well last year and put on IR, and you have Chris Hogan who is a possession receiver. Frankly, they have no true WR1 and now they're without their starting LT. Desperation signing if you ask me...

They've never had a true WR1 since Moss.  They get by with guys like Matthews.  They also have 3-4 other guys who are similar value guys like Britt/Dorsett/Mitchell and one of them will work out.

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

I highlighted it, so yes, I saw it and I know what it means.  

Moving on from your “if” comment, my personal take on this situation is this:  I’m giving the Green Bay Packers the benefit of the doubt here.  And unless I hear otherwise, I’m not inclined to even speculate for a second that I know more about Matthews or his medical situation than the good folks at 1265, much less speculate whether GB made an offer or decided to take a pass.  From what I’ve read, all we fans really know is that he flew to GB, met with the team, and left without an offer.  I trust that if Gute passed on an offer, he had good reason.

benefit of what doubt, that it wasn't worth risking 170k gtd?  I'll take that lotto ticket

This team started out making moves and then proceeded to sit on their hands and 9M in cap room.  Making very little sense.  Who cares if we're speculating.  It's boring to simply say they know more.  Of course they know more, but it doesn't mean they made the right hypothetical call.

10 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

They've never had a true WR1 since Moss.  They get by with guys like Matthews.  They also have 3-4 other guys who are similar value guys like Britt/Dorsett/Mitchell and one of them will work out.

benefit of what doubt, that it wasn't worth risking 170k gtd?  I'll take that lotto ticket

This team started out making moves and then proceeded to sit on their hands and 9M in cap room.  Making very little sense.  Who cares if we're speculating.  It's boring to simply say they know more.  Of course they know more, but it doesn't mean they made the right hypothetical call.

You don’t know a g** d**n thing, other than he came, they saw, he left!  How do you know they didn’t make an offer?  How do you know “they’re sitting on their hands”?  You don’t!

For that money, I would have paid for Matthews to come here, but I’m sure as he!! not stupid enough to proclaim that 1265 made a mistake when we have no idea what they tried or didn’t try.  FFS.

Archived