2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

59 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

So anyone with a differing viewpoint is not objective.  Got it.  The love for Cobb on this board truly astounds me sometimes.

I totally wanted Cobb as a draft choice and was over the moon when we got him. But that contract we gave him was ridiculous and he hasnt lived up to it in the slightest. He accounts for over 7% of our cap this year, only behind AR. If we can replace him with Dez at a cheaper rate what is not to like? Or if we had both that would be pretty awesome.

I mean we are not talking about getting rid of a productive and underpaid vet we are talking about ditching an under performing over paid player.

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Sounds like a good strategy for a team like the Browns. If you're trying to win a SB I'd go with the guy who's been one of the most productive WRs in football the last 5 years, who is a redzone beast and who opens up the other side of the field for Adams, etc. 

Sounds like a good strategy for any team that doesn’t want to deal with a head case. Look Dez maybe great at 50-50 balls but how many times does Rodgers throws those balls to players? And does anyone think Dez is such a hard work to gain Rodgers’ trust? Maybe by week 16...

If it’s literally for nothing, like 2 million per year... sure. But if it’s for anything substantial it’s just not worth his side line acts.

2 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Sounds like a good strategy for any team that doesn’t want to deal with a head case. Look Dez maybe great at 50-50 balls but how many times does Rodgers throws those balls to players? And does anyone think Dez is such a hard work to gain Rodgers’ trust? Maybe by week 16...

If it’s literally for nothing, like 2 million per year... sure. But if it’s for anything substantial it’s just not worth his side line acts.

I'd say more than just about any QB in the NFL. In fact he's had to make a living off throwing into 2 inch windows and back shoulders in MM's offense. Dez is literally perfect for our offense and would thrive with Rodgers throwing him the rock.

3 minutes ago, Jaegybomb said:

WRs are getting paid this offseason and over 3 mil of Cobb's contract is dead. Would we even save any money at all signing Dez over Cobb?

4 minutes ago, Jaegybomb said:

WRs are getting paid this offseason and over 3 mil of Cobb's contract is dead. Would we even save any money at all signing Dez over Cobb?

You would save 9.5m by cutting Cobb after the dead cap hit, he accounts for 12.5m this season!!! 

Not sure there is much big dough to go around now. I reckon you get Dez for around 7m for a year.

I view him very similar to when we signed Cook, a lot of question marks around attitude and drops and performance but one season with a QB like Rodger and all was sweet.

The potential of getting Dez is very tempting in my mind, regardless of cutting Cobb or not.

8 minutes ago, Jaegybomb said:

I wouldn't even cut Cobb. We have the $$ to sign Dez, and if we extend ARod we'll have even more cap. Might as well keep Cobb and just let him and his $12 mil walk at season's end. 

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

So anyone with a differing viewpoint is not objective.  Got it.  The love for Cobb on this board truly astounds me sometimes.

I'd say it's about 50/50 for who wants to keep Cobb vs those who'd rather have a worse team. If that's astounding then you must live a magical life and I envy you. 

The fact you have a viewpoint doesn't mean it's objective. There are flat earther's out there after all. 

1 minute ago, Jaegybomb said:

Cap space carries over to next year.

Just now, Jaegybomb said:

You don't just lose the unspent money.

I understand that but it is going to be cleared next season and a 7 million dollar deal isn't going to cripple the rollover. I'm not 100% advocating for Dez but we have the money to do it on a 1-year deal. After a 7 million dollar deal, and the rookie class, we would still have around 6 mil of rollover. 

Archived