2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

I'd go

Just now, cooters22 said:

Personally I think the 2 areas that we try to get help in FA are pass rush and TE.  Wilkerson is already being pursued. Sheldon Richardson and Adrian Claybourne are two guys that could get checked out by us. All three would be a lift at the DE pass rush point. I'm going to go out on a limb and say we sign 2 TE's again this off season and resign Richard Rodgers and cut Kendricks. Levine Toilolo from the Falcons is a great blocking TE, something Richard Rodgers isn't. Then I think they look for a yard marker mover.  Austin Seferian-Jenkins and Trey Burton are two guys that I'd get in early on in free agency. 

I'd go after Eifert as well, but I think some team is going to get suckered into his potential and pay him too much. I'd offer only a incentive type contract, spiced by bonuses. I didn't go cornerback on my lists only because I think the top market guys are going to be out of out league. And this is a good draft class and I think we nab 2 early this year in the draft. 

28 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

You look at that NFC west and you know you have a road to the playoffs. Looks like they're trying to go all in if they can. 

They have Goff on the rookie deal for 2 more years + the 5th year option.  Their window is the next 3 years before they have to pay for the QB.  Might as well go for it and see what you can get in deep playoff runs/Super Bowl appearances.  

What are people’s thoughts on Jeremy Lane? Has a slight contention to Pettine as he helped Seattle last year.

Still only 27 and good size.

if people don’t know he is rumored to be released tomorrow with Sherman.

6 hours ago, Green19 said:

What are people’s thoughts on Jeremy Lane? Has a slight contention to Pettine as he helped Seattle last year.

Like I've said all year, any cornerbacks added to this team that have starting experience and have started at least one game where they didn't completely suck (sorry Gunter), I am interested in.  The more the better.  Ideally one year deals to see which one should stick after this year.

Lane, House (or Claiborne), King, Randall, Rollins.  Basically, one corner that would likely be our outside starter, then another older and cheaper veteran that COULD be our outside starter. 

Then draft a corner if they're the best value available, even if that's our first round pick (in the event all the pass rushers and James are gone).  If Hawkins, Goodson, Waters, Donatello or Pipkins get a single snap at cornerback on our team this year, Gute will have failed in his first year as GM.  When you go two years in a row being completely and utterly depleted at one position, it is time to blow up the position. 

People kinda poked fun at me for having this mentality last year saying it was a fluke that we had so many injuries at corner.  I don't think it was.  King has a shoulder issue that nobody really wants to address.  Rollins is coming off a major injury.  Both of them plus Randall are coming off of offseason surgeries.  We have to add two corners before the draft in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

If Hawkins, Goodson, Waters, Donatello or Pipkins get a single snap at cornerback on our team this year, Gute will have failed in his first year as GM.  When you go two years in a row being completely and utterly depleted at one position, it is time to blow up the position. 

Not necessarily in the eyes of his positional coach, which is kind of important: 

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/09/15/whitt-intrigued-cb-convert-herb-waters/90439330/ 

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Bolt/Herb-Waters-compared-to-former-Packers-CB-Tramon-Williams--53241326

“He’s further along at this point than I thought he’d be,” Whitt said per Zack Kruse of USA Today. “I hate that he got hurt, hopefully he’ll be ready for training camp. If he is, he’s going to (push) Gunt, Q, D, Kevin, House, he has that type of ability in his body. Don’t be surprised. Like I told you back in ’09 about Tramon, how I said Tramon was the best cover guy we had, I think you guys said I was crazy at the time. This kid has that kind of ability. He does.”

Just now, ArthurPensky said:

No, nope.  Huh-uh.  Not buying it.  There's no way a corner named Herb will ever amount to anything in Green Bay. 

Just now, Watchmen said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-5-potential-splash-signings-that-could-have-a-huge-impact

One of the five ”splashes” is Watkins to GB.  I am pretty high on Sammy and would be ok if Gute released Cobb or Nelson to bring him on.

Site failed to mention that cutting Cobb and Nelson would give us over 5 million in dead money when we currently have 4.2 million in dead money thanks to Bennett.  We had dead money for Shields, too.  Other than an injury and Bennett quitting on us, we don't have dead money.  That's not a Thompson thing, either.  That's an organizational thing that's going to continue with Gute.  

Nobody ever mentions the dead money when it comes to Cobb and Nelson.  Not only that, but considering how many teams have dumped players already and gave them a head start on free agency, we aren't going to dump Cobb or Nelson at this point I don't think.  If we had any notion of doing that, we would have done it already.  Just like Bulaga said... No news is good news when it comes to whether or not he's getting cut by the Packers.  Same holds true for both Nelson and Cobb.  

I like the idea of Watkins, too.  I don't like what it would say about our organization to cut two receivers who never had a bad word to say about their team or their QB only to sign a receiver who has done that.   

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

Site failed to mention that cutting Cobb and Nelson would give us over 5 million in dead money when we currently have 4.2 million in dead money thanks to Bennett.  We had dead money for Shields, too.  Other than an injury and Bennett quitting on us, we don't have dead money.  That's not a Thompson thing, either.  That's an organizational thing that's going to continue with Gute.  

Nobody ever mentions the dead money when it comes to Cobb and Nelson.  Not only that, but considering how many teams have dumped players already and gave them a head start on free agency, we aren't going to dump Cobb or Nelson at this point I don't think.  If we had any notion of doing that, we would have done it already.  Just like Bulaga said... No news is good news when it comes to whether or not he's getting cut by the Packers.  Same holds true for both Nelson and Cobb.  

I like the idea of Watkins, too.  I don't like what it would say about our organization to cut two receivers who never had a bad word to say about their team or their QB only to sign a receiver who has done that.   

part of the reason for not having dead money is we typically don't have bad contracts. Cutting Nelson OR Cobb saves $10m a piece with only 20% offset as dead. Not saying those are bad contracts, but we're not cutting Wilkerson's contract here. I agree with you that we won't cut both, but I wouldn't be shocked with one of them. The Bennett thing wasn't planned

If we haven't made a move to free up cap space by Monday I'll be disappointed. All we've heard this off-season from Gute and Mac is how we need to play championship defense. Hell Mac even went as far as saying he's sick of the defense being the "stepchild" to our offense.

Well cool guys, you can talk the talk, it's time to walk it. You can't have a championship defense paying THREE WR's 10+ million dollars a year, two OT's about 10 per and a QB 20+.  You've got Nelson and Cobb way overpaid and a battered Bulaga who you have to feel confident can come back to be himself in order to pay him that. You also have a QB making nothing but base salary, with plenty of room in future years to extend him and push out that salary into bonuses. This defense isn't going to be any better next year adding a couple more House/Brooks/Dial quality guys, there needs to be some room to spend on defense. Of our current offensive starters Jamal Williams is the only player on a rookie contract, 1 of 11 is not being paid an increased salary for a second deal. On defense? Clark, Martinez, Ryan, King, Randall, Lowry, HHCD. 7 of the 11 base 3-4 starters are on rookie deals. If you go to the nickel you can take out Ryan/Lowry but you're adding Jones/Fackrell so two more rookie deal guys. 

Now Matthews/Perry deals will help the splits of money spent look a little better between O & D, but it's clear where the money goes. Lacy is the first offensive player who had some success that left before a 2nd deal. 

The talk is great, but I want to start seeing some action before the better FA's are off the market. It's time to shift some money around and invest in the defense. Rodgers made Geronimo Allison look like a Pro Bowl as he took over the Bengals game this year. He doesn't need close to 36m invested in 3 WRs.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

If we haven't made a move to free up cap space by Monday I'll be disappointed. All we've heard this off-season from Gute and Mac is how we need to play championship defense. Hell Mac even went as far as saying he's sick of the defense being the "stepchild" to our offense.

Well cool guys, you can talk the talk, it's time to walk it. You can't have a championship defense paying THREE WR's 10+ million dollars a year, two OT's about 10 per and a QB 20+.  You've got Nelson and Cobb way overpaid and a battered Bulaga who you have to feel confident can come back to be himself in order to pay him that. You also have a QB making nothing but base salary, with plenty of room in future years to extend him and push out that salary into bonuses. This defense isn't going to be any better next year adding a couple more House/Brooks/Dial quality guys, there needs to be some room to spend on defense. Of our current offensive starters Jamal Williams is the only player on a rookie contract, 1 of 11 is not being paid an increased salary for a second deal. On defense? Clark, Martinez, Ryan, King, Randall, Lowry, HHCD. 7 of the 11 base 3-4 starters are on rookie deals. If you go to the nickel you can take out Ryan/Lowry but you're adding Jones/Fackrell so two more rookie deal guys. 

Now Matthews/Perry deals will help the splits of money spent look a little better between O & D, but it's clear where the money goes. Lacy is the first offensive player who had some success that left before a 2nd deal. 

The talk is great, but I want to start seeing some action before the better FA's are off the market. It's time to shift some money around and invest in the defense. Rodgers made Geronimo Allison look like a Pro Bowl as he took over the Bengals game this year. He doesn't need close to 36m invested in 3 WRs.

great post

Personally I'd be looking to extend Nelson 3 years total and lower his number. I don't cut Cobb unless I know 100% a guy like Watkins is coming in. Otherwise I'd shoot for more the Jordan Matthews tier, draft a guy and let Cobb play out his final year. 

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

No, nope.  Huh-uh.  Not buying it.  There's no way a corner named Herb will ever amount to anything in Green Bay. 

Herb Adderly you doofus

I'm ignore listing you for this

5 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I agree that cutting both would be a mistake.  Even with Watkins, you need a Cobb or Nelson in the slot.  But I think you can absorb the dead money from releasing one.  Both contracts are expiring next year anyway, so a release wouldn't be completely outside of the norm.  For example Ted released Wahle, someone else in the Cobb/Nelson good person mold.

Just now, Watchmen said:

I agree that cutting both would be a mistake.  Even with Watkins, you need a Cobb or Nelson in the slot.  But I think you can absorb the dead money from releasing one.  Both contracts are expiring next year anyway, so a release wouldn't be completely outside of the norm.  For example Ted released Wahle, someone else in the Cobb/Nelson good person mold.

Difference there was that those Packers were in a cap hell and we essentially had no choice.  Thompson left this roster in 10 times better shape than Sherman left it for Thompson. 

Archived