2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

The good news is every cornerback in the NFL now knows that we have zero depth at corner, starting spots are up for grabs. That in itself may make us an attractive FA destination. Maybe that was the intended effect after trading Randall in the week before FA.

Amukamara would be an affordable experienced addition to our CB group. Has useful 4.4 speed too. Could be our new no.2 if we target him.

Desir is a size/speed player who could be a useful depth addition but could also be an upgrade on Goodson on special teams.

If we want depth at slot then maybe Ross Cockrell. I remember liking him in the draft process and he is experienced and statistically productive at NFL level. Only 26.

I've seen Colvin name being mentioned several times but isn't anyone concerned that he never made an interception in his NFL career?

I feel Tramon Williams is an absolute last resort should FA and the draft does not go to plan in shoring up our CB group.

If we can't get Sherman then Its clear that King is expected to become our no.1 corner. I cannot see any experienced corners in free agency that can be our no.1 right away. We simply don't have enough cap space. We had that opportunity with Vontae Davis but it doesn't appear we showed any interest.

We would have to do something pretty dramatic to bring someone like Trumaine Johnson in. Maybe cutting or trading away Nelson or Cobb.

29 minutes ago, Chili said:

The good news is every cornerback in the NFL now knows that we have zero depth at corner, starting spots are up for grabs. That in itself may make us an attractive FA destination. Maybe that was the intended effect after trading Randall in the week before FA.

I'm not sure that knowing we are desperate for a cornerback is going to help us get leverage in contract negotiations with corners. Agents can smirk annoyingly and add 2m to the asking price.

It will probably help with UFA  corners who know they have a better shot at making the team but I'm guessing that replacing a starting corner with an UFA isn't the way we hope this is going to go.

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I find that I've got more faith that the Packers can fix their CB situation significantly easier than the Vikings can.

Based on what?  CB was our first 2 picks in 2016 and our first pick last year.  Yet even after that MAJOR investment there isn't a team in the NFL right now that is worse off at the position.  We've got an up and down rookie and a bunch of scrubs who wouldn't make most teams practice squad.  Casey Hayward has been one of the top 5 Cbs in the NFL since Green Bay didn't see him fit to extend.  I've got no confidence or coaching staff when it comes to evaluating CBs.  

6 hours ago, squire12 said:

Finding 3 CB is easier than 1 QB?

Given the respective resources each has to work with

I guess you can believe Keenum will repeat this past season or throwing way too much money at Cousins will be anything but a lateral move. Wouldn’t be a smart train of thought though.

I would kind of be against going for T Johnson. He is the Kirk Cousins of corners. Solid but not a special player. The Rams traded for a 32 year old A Talib over paying him.

I’d rather sign guys who could potentially be difference makers but have a few red flags (graham, Robinson, wilk)

22 minutes ago, LacyIsGood said:

I'd like to see the Packers move on from Cobb and Bulaga to clear cap space, and restructure Nelson and Matthews.

Would also like to see them target Allen Robinson and Tyler Eifert for "prove it" deals.

I’m probably in the minority but I’d probably not restructure them.

-There is a culture factor (pay cutting is bad for a locker room).

Then there is the fact Clay, Cobb, and Nelson are overpaid but are still solid players and aren’t massively overpaid (Clay being a rusher would probably get an incentive based 2 year 20m prove it deal, Cobb like 2-15 and Jordy would get maybe like a 1 year 7m).

-They are all also all on the final years of their deal, so there is value in flexibility.

-Our 2019 free agent class (2015 draft class) will be cheap. We will are scheduled (before AR’s pay bump) to have 60m in cap room next year. We’d be cutting cap without any core players to resign 

-I don’t like the idea of cutting our vets with question marks to make room for other teams vets with questions.

And then everyone will be like, "Free agency hasn't started.  There are more corners.  Sherman is old and had an injury."

And then after free agency starts and 3, 4, 5 corners sign they'll be like, "There are still bargains out there."

And  then when the bargains sign with different teams people will be like, "There's still the draft."

And then when the draft is over people will be like, "There's still post June 1st cuts."

And then when the season starts and we have King, Pipkins, a 3rd round corner and Tramon Williams because our first round corner went straight to IR, then people will say they were always with me and Norm when me and Norm were pissed off about trading Randall.

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

And then everyone will be like, "Free agency hasn't started.  There are more corners.  Sherman is old and had an injury."

And then after free agency starts and 3, 4, 5 corners sign they'll be like, "There are still bargains out there."

And  then when the bargains sign with different teams people will be like, "There's still the draft."

And then when the draft is over people will be like, "There's still post June 1st cuts."

And then when the season starts and we have King, Pipkins, a 3rd round corner and Tramon Williams because our first round corner went straight to IR, then people will say they were always with me and Norm when me and Norm were pissed off about trading Randall.

How are you on stock tips....something that really counts :)

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

You can't have bad locker room guys. That's why two guys in that front office who were just Packers passed on him because you can't have that destroy your locker room. Oh, wait...

If he is so terrible why did Eliot and Alonzo okay this, because it's not like they wouldn't have been asked.

Archived