2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

My best case scenario is cut Cobb, restructure Jordy, get both Robinson and Graham- good luck defending that. Lesson learned from this past playoffs- yeah you can have a good defense like Minnesota or Jacksonville did, but if you have playmakers and a decent QB- you still score more then the opposition. No idea how much you score with those offenses and the GOAT at QB.

As far as the D goes- I think it really depends on the structure of Arods extension. If the Packers push it a little further into the future- there are savings for now. You might be able to bring in Wilkerson or a second tier CB. Then you get that pass rusher at the top and work on the back end of the D and the trenches the rest of the draft.

Either way, if I can make the opposing D defend Robinson/Watkins - Nelson (on a 3rd CB I love that match up every time with his savy and Arod connection) - Graham - Adams with Arod at QB and Jones/ Montgomery and Williams out of the backfield.....I am going to be very entertained. The playoffs this past year showed this model works for winning too. I love Cobb too- just does not seem Arod has near the same chemistry with him compared to Jordy though despite the age difference. Going to have to make a few changes to make this offense explosive again IMO. We are going to have to cut a good player to get a better player here IMO for that offense to regain its vertical prowess.

Going to be a very entertaining week- have not looked forward to a FA period in a long time. Going to be a lot of people cussing in here saying how much they hate certain moves- and I love it because no one really cares if anyone in particular likes it (so get over yourself lol). I just want to see how it looks on the field in TC when it is all done.

Go Pack!

33 minutes ago, SSG said:

Fitzgerald also.  Jordy looked like a natural in the slot late in 2016.  The offense seemed substantially more efficient when Nelson was in slot instead of Cobb.  Between AR's connection with Jordy and his size, he was really effective in an offense that was hitting on all cylinders.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/packers-jordy-nelson-s-play-at-slot-receiver-adds-to/article_d739e3ec-41b5-51a7-b5ab-e9a61ed101fb.html

EDIT: Heres an article about his play in the slot late in the 2016 season.

And he can still slide outside, which Cobb can't do much of. Even "old slow" Jordy is better outside than Cobb now IMO

I also want to stress the reality of our free agent market. We can probably sell ourselves to offensive talent as well as the rest of the NFL, and probably better than most teams with lots of cap room. You see Rodgers, Cobb, and Clay on T.V. right? You see hoody-James Jones getting 8 touchdowns, and looking like a threat again. You see Jared Cook looking like an all-pro, and you see Jeff Janis against Arizona in the playoffs right?

That is versus: you see us making seemingly every QB look like a world beater on defense right? Aaron Colvin, you want to test the waters without two elite corners and a defensive front that probably won't get home at all? Not to mention its cold, relatively boring, and we haven't been to a SB in recent years. 

Honestly, Robinson and Graham might be the best way to spend our cap, then try and draft defense, or dip into the 2nd tier on that regard.

If you could only have one of Robinson and Watkins who do you choose? Me personally, I would choose Robinson. Although he is coming of an ACL, Watkins foot issues scare me. Hakeem Nicks was a very promising receiver until foot injuries basically ended his career. You always hear about Julio Jones dealing with his recurring foot issues week-to-week during the season. Don't get me wrong though, I would be extremely happy with either one. 

1 minute ago, Haha21 said:

If you could only have one of Robinson and Watkins who do you choose? Me personally, I would choose Robinson. Although he is coming of an ACL, Watkins foot issues scare me. Hakeem Nicks was a very promising receiver until foot injuries basically ended his career. You always hear about Julio Jones dealing with his recurring foot issues week-to-week during the season. Don't get me wrong though, I would be extremely happy with either one. 

Robinson and it isn't close. Love the way he'd compliment Adams and Jordy.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

You hear if any of the reports today are genuine interest or just due diligence?

I got a text saying we were interested in Watkins last night, but this was before the Watkins/Robinson reports came out. I try not to push it toooo much. I'd rather have Robinson, personally. 

1 minute ago, Slinky said:

I got a text saying we were interested in Watkins last night, but this was before the Watkins/Robinson reports came out. I try not to push it toooo much. I'd rather have Robinson, personally. 

I think @Packerraymond was referring to Muhammed Wilkerson.

1 minute ago, Slinky said:

Yeah I understand, have to imagine if you're interested in one, you are in the other. 

2 minutes ago, Slinky said:

I'd take either but I'd prefer Robinson as well.  He's bigger and more consistent IMO.   

Robinson's knee bears consideration.....

"Watkins brings to mind the Packers’ signing of Jared Cook two years ago. Like Cook, Watkins has underachieved while playing with lower-caliber quarterbacks — in Buffalo his quarterbacks were Kyle Orton, EJ Manuel and Tyrod Taylor, and with the Rams, it was the promising but still young Jared Goff.

Once Cook recovered from a bad ankle injury in his lone season with the Packers, he thrived playing with Aaron Rodgers and became a key part of coach Mike McCarthy’s offense. Watkins very well could do the same. You have think he’d find the possibility attractive.

Robinson, on the other hand, is coming back from a torn ACL in last season’s opener. He should have a good shot at being ready by the start of training camp but probably won’t take part in any offseason work.

He’s young also — turns 25 in August — so it’s not like this injury is going to end his career. But you never know how much a player will lose after ACL surgery, and players often say they don’t feel like their old selves until two years after surgery. So there’s some real risk here.

On the other hand, though Robinson doesn’t have anything like Watkins’ speed and ran only a 4.60 40 coming out of Penn State, he has tremendous size (6-2⅝, 220) and leaping ability (39-inch vertical). In 2015, he caught 80 passes for 14 touchdowns and had a 17.5-yard average, and in ’16 he had 73 catches, though only six touchdowns and a 12.1-yard average. And that’s with Blake Bortles as his quarterback"

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2018/03/12/green-bay-packers-allen-robinson-sammy-watkins-smart-seek-explosive-receivers/417360002/

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

Robinson's knee bears consideration.....

"Watkins brings to mind the Packers’ signing of Jared Cook two years ago. Like Cook, Watkins has underachieved while playing with lower-caliber quarterbacks — in Buffalo his quarterbacks were Kyle Orton, EJ Manuel and Tyrod Taylor, and with the Rams, it was the promising but still young Jared Goff.

Once Cook recovered from a bad ankle injury in his lone season with the Packers, he thrived playing with Aaron Rodgers and became a key part of coach Mike McCarthy’s offense. Watkins very well could do the same. You have think he’d find the possibility attractive.

Robinson, on the other hand, is coming back from a torn ACL in last season’s opener. He should have a good shot at being ready by the start of training camp but probably won’t take part in any offseason work.

He’s young also — turns 25 in August — so it’s not like this injury is going to end his career. But you never know how much a player will lose after ACL surgery, and players often say they don’t feel like their old selves until two years after surgery. So there’s some real risk here.

On the other hand, though Robinson doesn’t have anything like Watkins’ speed and ran only a 4.60 40 coming out of Penn State, he has tremendous size (6-2⅝, 220) and leaping ability (39-inch vertical). In 2015, he caught 80 passes for 14 touchdowns and had a 17.5-yard average, and in ’16 he had 73 catches, though only six touchdowns and a 12.1-yard average. And that’s with Blake Bortles as his quarterback"

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2018/03/12/green-bay-packers-allen-robinson-sammy-watkins-smart-seek-explosive-receivers/417360002/

WRs with chronic foot injuries are bad news. He had surgery on it two years in a row.

Ghost says earlier it's healed and fine.. That's what him and his team said before the season and he was getting MRIs on it every week and on the report for it basically every week. 

No offense to whoever wrote that but Watkins should still be the biggest reinjury concern here pretty easily.

Too much is made of their 40s in both directions on top of it IMO

Archived