49ers Agree to contract with Jimmy G

49erurtaza

47 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

So, now I am very guilty of being extremely enamored with our current QB: Jimmy G. In fact, he is probably my favorite QB we have had since Steve. Yes, I am a bit over the top already. :$ But I am so okay with that. B|

You and me both. I feel weird saying it after 7 career games, because we've learned in the FF Years that small samples are the Achilles heel for the overly optimistic fan. However, I didn't ever feel this way with Garcia, Alex, or Kaep, even when they looked at their best like top 10 QBs. Jimmy just has a completely different vibe to him. I'm all-in.

39 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

You and me both. I feel weird saying it after 7 career games, because we've learned in the FF Years that small samples are the Achilles heel for the overly optimistic fan. However, I didn't ever feel this way with Garcia, Alex, or Kaep, even when they looked at their best like top 10 QBs. Jimmy just has a completely different vibe to him. I'm all-in.

It's the combo of Shanny / Jimmy G. I really think that is what it is. I've said in other posts that I wasn't sure how good Jimmy G was and I don't know what the ceiling is, but I know that he's going to be successful just because of Shanny. Where they go from there, I don't know...but I have zero concerns about him flaming out or anything if only because of Shanny. 

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Rather than start a new thread or topic, I thought I would just put this in here....

Just thinking about the whole Jimmy Garoppolo situation: When I heard we traded for him, I was actually disappointed. Why? Because I was bent on getting Kirk Cousins.

SO much happier with Jimmy G over Cousins. Really not a fan of him, his turnovers, and his far greater interest in money vs football. 

Been too many years since we had a QB that I really liked or believed in. That's not why I'm all in for Jimmy G. He has all one could need to become ( remain ) a top tier QB.

... just have to PROTECT THE JIMMY !!!!

3 hours ago, Forge said:

It's the combo of Shanny / Jimmy G. I really think that is what it is. I've said in other posts that I wasn't sure how good Jimmy G was and I don't know what the ceiling is, but I know that he's going to be successful just because of Shanny. Where they go from there, I don't know...but I have zero concerns about him flaming out or anything if only because of Shanny. 

Seems like a chicken or the egg situation to me. Shanahan clearly couldn't turn water into wine with Hoyer or Beathard and all of training camp + up to 12 weeks of the regular season. He only needed 30 days with Garoppolo.

Who made who look better?

That's a trick question, because each made the other look better than the already talented individuals they already were.

Exactly, they aren't mutually exclusive. You have to be a talent to look good in this offense. But if you are a talent, Shanny will take you to the next level. Garoppolo has some elite qualities that would make him successful in pretty much any system. 

Speaking of Jimmy G, I'm really interested in seeing how well he takes care of the ball this upcoming season. His sloppy footwork at times leads to some bad INTs and he just is a bit of a risk taker. Shanny believes some of the INTs were due not fully understanding the offense and trying to force some things. Well now he should have no excuse with having a full offseason to learn the offense. 

21 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Speaking of Jimmy G, I'm really interested in seeing how well he takes care of the ball this upcoming season. His sloppy footwork at times leads to some bad INTs and he just is a bit of a risk taker. Shanny believes some of the INTs were due not fully understanding the offense and trying to force some things. Well now he should have no excuse with having a full offseason to learn the offense. 

And at least one INT was literally Kyle Fuller wanting the football more than Louis Murphy. But yes - that was the one negative I saw as well. He's a risktaker.

The flipside of that is that we know he'll immediately bounce back. Could just be that Jimmy was bored and wanted to show off his resilience.

I'm inclined to believe this. In my head, it's perfectly logical.

Sure, but then there were a few other close ones that could have been intercepted. Still not convinced Goodwin should have been rewarded the catch against Tenn as it seemed like the defender beat him to the ball. And then against Houston he had a missed INT.

As long as he cleans up his footwork, that will take care of a lot of his INTs or near INTs. But his deep ball is another thing he needs to work on. I think it is a good sign the offense flashed as much as it did last season with sub-par personnel and with Jimmy G having so many things he could get better at. This will be a top 3-5 offensive unit next season. 

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Sure, but then there were a few other close ones that could have been intercepted. Still not convinced Goodwin should have been rewarded the catch as it seemed like the defender beat him to the ball. And then against Houston he had a missed INT.

As long as he cleans up his footwork, that will take care of a lot of his INTs or near INTs. But his deep ball is another thing he needs to work on. I think it is a good sign the offense flashed as much as it did last season with sub-par personnel and with Jimmy G having so many things he could get better at. This will be a top 3-5 offensive unit next season. 

Agree that there were some close calls. Even though it doesn't seem like it, he makes some risky gunslinger type throws every now again. Got fortunate a few times, as you mentioned, but given the personnel, I'm bullish on the future. 

I have two major concerns regarding Jimmy G, one of which you alluded to, which is the deep ball. He has to make that a legitimate threat. Because if he doesn't that leads me to my second concern - the ability for defenses to stack and clutter the middle of the field, which is his bread and butter. I'm going to assume that defenses overload the middle when playing us to try and make that a cluttered mess, because he destroys teams in that intermediate middle of the field area. If he can't throw the deep ball, or consistently hit outside of the hash marks, that leaves us exposed to potentially not being able to keep teams from stacking that part of the field on us and there's only so much outscheming you can do if you're limited in those fashions. 

That being said, have supreme faith in Shanny being able to work his magic scheming and keep that flowing. 

Yep, the deep ball will take him and this offense to a new level. One thing that will help him is our two threats out of the backfield. McKinnon and Juice Check will prevent defenses from loading up as much in the middle of the field. Garoppolo did make some nice sideline throws against the Rams, but he made his money in the intermediate area. 

Excited for his future though. Going to be a good one. 

I’m really excited to see him with Garçon. I expect Pierre to have a monster year with Jimmy Under center. Goodwin is a nice player, but he is no where near the receiver Garcon is imo. 

5 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I’m really excited to see him with Garçon. I expect Pierre to have a monster year with Jimmy Under center. Goodwin is a nice player, but he is no where near the receiver Garcon is imo. 

I think that Pee-Air (do not try, it hurts) being a good option opposite Marquise will make his life easier. I expect Jimmy to share the wealth, and not necessarily focus on his best receiver. I don't expect Goodwin to be a near 1000 yards receiver again next year, but I don't expect Garçon to have a monster year either. They'll both have decent years, with a heavy sprinkling of Trent Taylor, and a good chunk of passing yards going to McJuice (can that be the nickname of our backfield?). Add in guys like Pettis and Kittle, there's just too many weapons for any one guy to have a "monster" year". I want our offense as a whole to have a monster year.

We will have a lot of solid weapons and Jimmy G will share the wealth, but the breakout performer will be Kittle. He's going to have a very good season.

Garcon will be good as usual, but I'm interested in seeing the jump Bourne makes from last season and if Pettis has a legitimate shot at winning one of the starting gigs. 

I think the important thing to consider when determining which players will or won't do well is to consider that it is highly unlikely that Garcon, Goodwin, Kittle, Pettis, Taylor, Bourne, McKinnon, Juszczyk, and any of the other weapons will ALL play 16 games. 

Who "breaks out" will have some certain luck qualities to them.

And I don't think it matters. Zero of these players have displayed alpha traits and a need to be the TOP guy. That means our evil genius on the sideline and all-seeing QB in the pocket need to gameplan around and take advantage of mismatches respectively. 

17 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Still might take a couple of seasons to get a good grip on the offense. I'm expecting some turbulence this upcoming season in regards to his performance. The offense as a unit is still going through a big transition. 

Archived