49ers Agree to contract with Jimmy G

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I have never known an NFL team to pay 'bass salary' before. But, according to Schefter, that is exactly what Jimmy is getting. Now, will that be an electric bass, string bass or largemouth/smallmouth bass? Hey, inquiring minds like mine want to know!

Damn, I thought I was clever, but you beat me to it!

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I have us between 61 - 65 million depending on what the cap is (projected to be between 174 and 178). From what I can tell, based on those figures, his first year cap hit is 49 million. We have 113m currently, I believe

Hey, Paraag agrees with me! :D lol

1 hour ago, steadypimpin said:

Squeeze more?!?!? I think he squeezed out plenty. He could've taken less IMO. I get it but it's still greedy as hell.

What? Not at all. He was going to command more on an open market in bidding war. We paid market value for him.  it would be naive to expect him to take less on a discount or expect him to say "hmm, I've only played 7 games, I don't deserve this much". Play in a league where your career can be over in an instant, you aim to get paid as much as possible. Anything less is the rule to the exception and arguably idiocy. QB is the most important position in sports and there are only about 15-20 in the world who can play at an above average level and above, the scarcity is real. 

2 hours ago, steadypimpin said:

Squeeze more?!?!? I think he squeezed out plenty. He could've taken less IMO. I get it but it's still greedy as hell.

Had he taken less, he would have asked for more sooner. Imagine if we had franchised him this year, he plays great, then next year we have to sign him. Do you think we're getting for a penny under 30m? Now we have him for five years. Yes, it's a lot of money now, but chances are, midway through next season, he'll have proven his worth, and two years from now, we'll thank him for actually not being that greedy after all.

7 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Might be the closest we ever get to admitting he screwed up the Harbaugh situation. I'll take it.

Honestly, outside of botching that situation with Redskins like flare, I really haven't had issues with jed 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, outside of botching that situation with Redskins like flare, I really haven't had issues with jed 

The era from Harbs to Tomsula to Kelly can basically be summed up as being in Trent Baalke's pocket. I'll consolidate that all as one big F up.

Jed finally woke up and smelled the coffee though. He's not a petty goon like Snyder at least. 

Reading articles like these makes me appreciate what Paraag does more and more. The guy is so good at structuring contracts and getting those options to opt out if it doesn't work. Every time we see a deal announced for the 49ers it just impresses me how we are able to structure deals to really benefit our cap and team in general. Having that option to cut him after two years with just 4,2 mil in dead cap space is amazing and gives us room to restructure the deal later on if Jimmy lives up to his contract and if he doesn't he will probably just be gone after two years.

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

https://overthecap.com/thoughts-jimmy-garoppolos-137-5-million-contract-49ers

Awesome write up that was posted in news forum from OTC

Those dead cap numbers after the second year...huge sigh of relief. I mean..i fit comes to that, the panic will be because he sucked all along..but at least there's a way to prevent salary cap hell. 

20 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Reading articles like these makes me appreciate what Paraag does more and more. The guy is so good at structuring contracts and getting those options to opt out if it doesn't work. Every time we see a deal announced for the 49ers it just impresses me how we are able to structure deals to really benefit our cap and team in general. Having that option to cut him after two years with just 4,2 mil in dead cap space is amazing and gives us room to restructure the deal later on if Jimmy lives up to his contract and if he doesn't he will probably just be gone after two years.

i'm going off the top of my head, but Paraag's background was with Bain Capital and he was brought in after the 49ers bungled up their cap during the Mooch/Erickson era where we had to basically let go/trade the whole team. If you can say the York's did one thing right, it was realizing they messed up the cap and brought in the best possible person for that. We haven't been in bad salary cap standing in like 15 years. We've been tapped, sure, but never to the point where we lost great players due to poor financial management. 

3 minutes ago, John232 said:

Those dead cap numbers after the second year...huge sigh of relief. I mean..i fit comes to that, the panic will be because he sucked all along..but at least there's a way to prevent salary cap hell. 

i'm going off the top of my head, but Paraag's background was with Bain Capital and he was brought in after the 49ers bungled up their cap during the Mooch/Erickson era where we had to basically let go/trade the whole team. If you can say the York's did one thing right, it was realizing they messed up the cap and brought in the best possible person for that. We haven't been in bad salary cap standing in like 15 years. We've been tapped, sure, but never to the point where we lost great players due to poor financial management. 

The key to that is simply planning ahead. I'm sure all the moves we'll make in free agency will take into account our future extensions to core guys like Buckner, etc. So many teams are forced to cut good players in order to re-sign their better players. If we can manage that ahead of time, be ahead of the curve, then great! If ever there was one year for us to sign a big time QB (hopefully) to a big time contract, it was this year. So thanks, Bill Belichik!

Archived