49ers Agree to contract with Jimmy G

49erurtaza

18 minutes ago, Geek said:

Some people are just exceptionally salty about this contract in the NFL News thread. Funny that a lot of them are Rams fans.

Well let's be honest, given the money, it's definitely one of the riskiest contracts you'll ever see given the sample. But no way it's an overpay as I know he would have gotten comparable on the market. The market sets the price to determine the overpay

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Give us talib and Sanders 

There were rumors immediately after the season ended of Talib being released.  His name came up in an offer to the Chiefs for Alex.  Maybe he still gets released?

As for Sanders, he was being looked at for a Felony 2 sexual assault in Texas.  While a grand jury wouldn't bring charges, I haven't read anything about him being cleared by the NFL investigators when it comes to the personal conduct policy.

1 hour ago, Geek said:

Some people are just exceptionally salty about this contract in the NFL News thread. Funny that a lot of them are Rams fans.

Yea, seen two reasons so far: the total amount and the number of games.  I don't care about the amount because it's what franchise level quarterbacks are getting paid.  Stafford, Carr, Luck, and Flacco are the guys that have been paid the highest APY in the past two seasons.  Looking ahead, you have Cousins, Rodgers, Ryan, Brees, and Wilson.  Either we pay him $27.5M APY now or $30M+ APY later.  The guaranteed money is also only 54% of the contract and I'm assuming it'll be front-loaded to take advantage of our huge available cash.

As for number of games, Rodgers got a 5-year $65M extension in 2008 after 7 games started (14 games played) that put him 4th in APY, behind Peyton, Palmer, and Ben.  That was also pre-CBA and the explosion of the cap, which is due to hit numbers of $178M, $190M, and $202M in this spending window.

9 minutes ago, typecast said:

As for number of games, Rodgers got a 5-year $65M extension in 2008 after 7 games played that put him 4th in APY, behind Peyton, Palmer, and Ben.  That was also pre-CBA and the explosion of the cap, which is due to hit numbers of $178M, $190M, and $202M in this spending window.

I was trying to think back about when Rodgers got his first mega extension. I remember 2008 was his first big season. Didn't recall him getting the extension that soon.

38 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I was trying to think back about when Rodgers got his first mega extension. I remember 2008 was his first big season. Didn't recall him getting the extension that soon.

Yea, he was on year 4 of his 5-year rookie deal, signing the extension mid-season during the Packers bye week.  His lowest cap hit during that extension was $6.5M.  8 years later, his cap hit is $20.5M. 7 years from today, that number could be $40M as he looks to finish off a $175M/5yr extension.  Should note - I meant he had 7 games started when he signed his extension.  He actually had 14 games played.

4 hours ago, typecast said:

There were rumors immediately after the season ended of Talib being released.  His name came up in an offer to the Chiefs for Alex.  Maybe he still gets released?

As for Sanders, he was being looked at for a Felony 2 sexual assault in Texas.  While a grand jury wouldn't bring charges, I haven't read anything about him being cleared by the NFL investigators when it comes to the personal conduct policy.

Perfect! We will give you a 4th round pick for both 

Based on Jimmy's AAV, he will account for about 15.4 - 15.8% of the cap if it's between 174 and 178 as expected. 

Now, this may not impact us, as I responded in the news forum. I never thought we were really competing for the playoffs next year - I figured 7-9 or 8-8 next year  because we aren't going to fix all of our problems. If we front the load the deal, particularly with a strong cap number in the first year (maybe 2), and the cap rises, by year three of this deal, which is when I would expect us to potentially be a possibly "elite" team (with 2019 being a playoff contenderish type year), then by then his deal is likely in that 13% range. 

Archived