John DeFilippo hired as OC of Vikings

Apparition

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Foles needs to come to MN. Teddy then goes to Philly to backup Wentz. Wentz gets hurt again (ACL tear). Teddy becomes the starter (plays well) and Wentz is traded to MN as damaged goods after Foles flops.

Then the Eagles draft Tua the next year and the process starts all over again.....

DeFilippo:  “It was an unbelievable day. How many guys can say they participated in a Super Bowl parade in the morning, and then became one of 32 play-callers in the National Football League that night? That’s a pretty good deal. It was a whirlwind, yes. But it was a whirlwind that was 100 percent worth it. Professionally and personally for my wife and I, I would say besides the day we got married, that was probably one of our better days as a married couple.”

"I had an opportunity this offseason to go to a bunch of different place. Obviously I interviewed for two head coaching jobs that went in another direction, and there were a few other opportunities to be an offensive coordinator in the league. But when the Minnesota Vikings want to talk to you, that’s a whole different ball game.”

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/DeFilippo-Describes-Whirlwind-of-Becoming-Vikings-Offensive-Coordinator/bbf46ff7-1946-4a7a-9bcb-ede322cba9c6?sf181752304=1

41 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

DeFilippo:  “It was an unbelievable day. How many guys can say they participated in a Super Bowl parade in the morning, and then became one of 32 play-callers in the National Football League that night? That’s a pretty good deal. It was a whirlwind, yes. But it was a whirlwind that was 100 percent worth it. Professionally and personally for my wife and I, I would say besides the day we got married, that was probably one of our better days as a married couple.”

"I had an opportunity this offseason to go to a bunch of different place. Obviously I interviewed for two head coaching jobs that went in another direction, and there were a few other opportunities to be an offensive coordinator in the league. But when the Minnesota Vikings want to talk to you, that’s a whole different ball game.”

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/DeFilippo-Describes-Whirlwind-of-Becoming-Vikings-Offensive-Coordinator/bbf46ff7-1946-4a7a-9bcb-ede322cba9c6?sf181752304=1

"But when the [insert team that hired me here] wants to talk to you , that's a whole different ball game"

Like seriously, this is one of those times that the plug in play speech makes no sense. What does the Vikings have that makes it a "whole different ball game"? It's a franchise that has been entirely mediocre its entire inception.... xD .. at least if you're going to make that kind of remark, explain why being a Vikings coach means so much to you.

3 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

pretty dramatic there, you're being...

being the OC for a team who needs offensive improvement and who made it to the NFCCG is not a mediocre position to take. it's a professional challenge that could solidify his chances to further his career.

I just recognize when there's cliche  cookiecutter statements being said. The Vikings are a pretty good gig, but to say a general statement like "When the Minnesota Vikings want to talk to you, it's a whole different ball game"? Yeah, cmon man.

This statement is nothing more than propaganda - i challenge you to find a single hire ever in which the statements did not convey both optimism as well as praise for the hiring organization.

... And frankly, he has huge shoes to fill. Shurmur did wonders with that offense considering its talent level, most of all with their QBs. I like the hire but let's not pretend that the offensive status level of the previous coordinator wasn't well and beyond satisfactory.

6 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I just recognize when there's cliche  cookiecutter statements being said. The Vikings are a pretty good gig, but to say a general statement like "When the Minnesota Vikings want to talk to you, it's a whole different ball game"? Yeah, cmon man.

This statement is nothing more than propaganda - i challenge you to find a single hire ever in which the statements did not convey both optimism as well as praise for the hiring organization.

... And frankly, he has huge shoes to fill. Shurmur did wonders with that offense considering its talent level, most of all with their QBs. I like the hire but let's not pretend that the offensive status level of the previous coordinator wasn't well and beyond satisfactory.

Perhaps he's excited to work with Zimmer. Or go to a team that has a strong ownership group that does a lot for its players/coaches. Winning isn't everything, it's a business after all and how ownership and management treats its employees goes a long way. Plus the Vikes are completing a brand new practice facility that will be state of the art, as is the new stadium, which was on full display during the recent super bowl DeFilppio just coached.

10 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

"But when the [insert team that hired me here] wants to talk to you , that's a whole different ball game"

Like seriously, this is one of those times that the plug in play speech makes no sense. What does the Vikings have that makes it a "whole different ball game"? It's a franchise that has been entirely mediocre its entire inception.... xD .. at least if you're going to make that kind of remark, explain why being a Vikings coach means so much to you.

yeah, but we're the most mediocre, and that has to count for something! 

DeFilippo called his father Thursday night to tell him about his new job.

“I don’t know when I’ve seen him any more excited than he was,” said Gene DeFilippo, a longtime college football coach and administrator who has been athletic director at Villanova and Boston College.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/02/09/vikings-new-coordinator-john-defilippo-looks-to-win-another-super-bowl/

maybe the guy was actually excited after all and not just glad handing with the press.

16 hours ago, vike daddy said:

i was reacting more to your comment that the team has been "mediocre since inception," when it just came off a 13-3 season and was one of four teams left standing.

-6th most winningest franchise in NFL history by win %
-5th most (tied) Super Bowl appearances in NFL history
-14 hall of famers 
-One of the most famous defenses in NFL history with the Purple People Eaters
-One of the most prolific offensive seasons in NFL history (1998)

Yeah, completely mediocre.... 9_9

I thought you had to have basic football knowledge to be a mod here? :P

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

the Viking management wouldn't have forced him to stay on staff if he didn't want to, they're not that kind of people.

I mean in that case he could have just told NYG no.

I'm assuming, like VikesFan89 alluded to, Kevin was likely promised the OC job after Flip gets a HC job. Staying with/eventually getting to be Zimmer's OC > going to NYG where they're pretty much starting over with a HC that already has a failed experience elsewhere.

Archived