Jump to content
CriminalMind

Vikings to hire John DeFilippo as OC

Recommended Posts

DeFilippo: "You're going to see us try and create as many mismatches as we can with the guys that can make a play with the ball in their hand." 

"I was planning on staying in Philadelphia, until Minnesota called."

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/1-on-1-With-Offensive-Coordinator-John-DeFilippo/30932197-eece-4bb1-8afd-aeba42eb67f2?sf182721498=1

Edited by vike daddy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've missed all of this discussion. My non-informed two cents worth. I like this signing better than most of the other ones that were being thrown around. We'll see how it turns out for the Vikings, but I think it'll like be seen as a smart move, and hopefully we can have him around for a handful of years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

If if Philadelphia Eagles’ offense is any indication of DeFilippo’s plans, we can expect the ball to be spread around. Philly’s four receivers had 62, 57, 36 and 16 receptions while tight end Zach Ertz led the team with 74 grabs.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/03/wright-fit-free-agent-wr-kendall-wright-makes-sense-vikings/

That also plays to one of Cousins’ strengths of reading defenses pre-snap and identifying the best matchup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

If if Philadelphia Eagles’ offense is any indication of DeFilippo’s plans, we can expect the ball to be spread around. Philly’s four receivers had 62, 57, 36 and 16 receptions while tight end Zach Ertz led the team with 74 grabs.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/03/wright-fit-free-agent-wr-kendall-wright-makes-sense-vikings/

TARGETS
Jeffery 120
Ertz 110 (14 games)
Agholor 95
Smith 67
Burton 31 (15 games)
Celek 24
Hollins 22

Compared to the Vikings' targets from a year ago....
Thielen 142
Diggs 95 (14 games)
Rudolph 81
McKinnon 68
Treadwell 35
Wright 25
Murray 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to compare the two situations without assessing Wentz's and Keenum's ability to go through progressions. We know that Keenum had a tendency to ignore open receivers to throw the ball to the intended target given play design. Not sure if Wentz struggled with the same issue and what that means for the Vikes new offense. I'd hope to get more production from WR3, just didn't seem that Keenum looked that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adam Thielen was on NFL Radio and it was interesting to hear him talk about the difference between DeFillipo’s offense and Pat Shurmur’s. 

Apparently, Shurmur never really introduced a new offense, he kept Turner’s offense, verbiage, etc. in place, and added a few new wrinkles. 

DeFillipo is implementing a whole new offense. New verbiage, new formations, etc. while keeping a few select plays from the old offense. 

Sort of the opposite of what a lot of people have speculated over the past two years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yet it's been seamless...

Zimmer, again, hires a tutor, a teacher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2018 at 9:58 AM, SemperFeist said:

Adam Thielen was on NFL Radio and it was interesting to hear him talk about the difference between DeFillipo’s offense and Pat Shurmur’s. 

Apparently, Shurmur never really introduced a new offense, he kept Turner’s offense, verbiage, etc. in place, and added a few new wrinkles. 

DeFillipo is implementing a whole new offense. New verbiage, new formations, etc. while keeping a few select plays from the old offense. 

Sort of the opposite of what a lot of people have speculated over the past two years. 

I think it was said on Paul Allen’s show that most of Shurmurs “stuff” was all still Turners plays and such, the key was more just the play calling, it went from long developing play call after play call to getting the ball out of the QB’s hands. 

 

Either way I am very excited to see how DeFlippo’s offense turns out to look like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only issue I see then is that it's probably going to take a little while into the season for the whole thing to really get going.  Therefore, the defense is going to need to be top-notch out of the gate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, disaacs said:

The only issue I see then is that it's probably going to take a little while into the season for the whole thing to really get going.  Therefore, the defense is going to need to be top-notch out of the gate.

Which it should be. 

I really hope DeFillipo goes Zimmer on some of his HC-interviews next offseason and gets passed over at least once more haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2018 at 2:16 PM, gopherwrestler said:

I think it was said on Paul Allen’s show that most of Shurmurs “stuff” was all still Turners plays and such, the key was more just the play calling, it went from long developing play call after play call to getting the ball out of the QB’s hands. 

 

Either way I am very excited to see how DeFlippo’s offense turns out to look like. 

To be at its best by mid season wouldn’t surprise me, but with the talent the team is carrying on the offense, I still expect above average play without a doubt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×