General Final Fantasy Thread

On 7/1/2023 at 4:52 PM, Supersuavesky said:

Finished now. One of my favorite stories in modern gaming. 

How many hours did you get out of it? Did you just focus on the main story or did you do a lot of side quests (assuming there are a lot)?

On 7/3/2023 at 12:35 PM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

How many hours did you get out of it? Did you just focus on the main story or did you do a lot of side quests (assuming there are a lot)?

I've just finished yesterday. Now I'm hitting the post-game depression.

I've done all the side quests, logged about 50 hours. You need a 2nd playthrough on harder difficulty to get the platinum.

@Supersuavesky what do you think of the ending?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, General Tso said:

I've done all the side quests, logged about 50 hours. You need a 2nd playthrough on harder difficulty to get the platinum.

Wow so all the side quests and main was only 50?? I feel like that's short for an FF game. Between this info and knowing that you need to get that difficulty level after your initial completion, they are seemingly wanting people to do just that. 

Appreciate the info. Looking forward to getting my hands on it when that happens 

On 7/9/2023 at 5:33 PM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Wow so all the side quests and main was only 50?? I feel like that's short for an FF game. Between this info and knowing that you need to get that difficulty level after your initial completion, they are seemingly wanting people to do just that. 

Appreciate the info. Looking forward to getting my hands on it when that happens 

While I am looking forward to playing this, and 50 hours is a decently respectable playtime, I would be lying if I said I am not disappointed in the direction they have taken the franchise.   Part of the charm of Final Fantasy was always its open worlds and exploration, and they have completely moved on from that.   Its not even that it needs to be entirely open world, but FF are largely linear games now, with pretty much all the open world elements being reserved for FF14.    

I will definitely get this, but I will probably wait for it to drop to $40 or so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 43M said:

While I am looking forward to playing this, and 50 hours is a decently respectable playtime, I would be lying if I said I am not disappointed in the direction they have taken the franchise.   Part of the charm of Final Fantasy was always its open worlds and exploration, and they have completely moved on from that.   Its not even that it needs to be entirely open world, but FF are largely linear games now, with pretty much all the open world elements being reserved for FF14.    

I will definitely get this, but I will probably wait for it to drop to $40 or so.

Depends on the FF. 10 and 13 are quite linear.

Exploration isn't emphasized in this game. It's not what I would've done, but it allows the narrative to be focused.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 3:35 PM, General Tso said:

14 hours ago, 43M said:

11 hours ago, General Tso said:

Exploration isn't emphasized in this game. It's not what I would've done, but it allows the narrative to be focused.

It's definitely a tradeoff.   I just finished it and took 60+ hours to finish all the side quests, all the hunts, everything.   

To say it's linear is an understatement.   And yeah, it sucks to lose the open world.   I think the one area that really jars JRPG fans is the complete lack of character / party customization.  I miss being able to mix it up with characters or personalize a skill tree.    

But as someone who grew up with the NES/SNES FF series, I don't have hundreds of hours to play games, either.     TOTK & FFXVI together just about killed me in that respect.   So as much as I miss the character / party customization / world exploration, my RL schedule definitely is grateful.   

The big positive trade-off is that the main storyline is told in such a rich / detailed fashion.   And the +side quests, and the ones with the main 3 characters, and the key supporting cast (anything to do with the bearers and their fates in other worlds really added to the depth of the main story), well they rock the story so hard.    I get the ambivalence, there's no going back to the FFVI / FFVIII / FFVIII days.   And I'll miss those elements from free world exploration, and party/character customization to the nth degree.   But I can't deny how crazy level of detail the main story gets told, in breathtaking fashion.

I don't think this tops my top 3 FF (VI, VII & XII), and I get the criticism.  But the presentation, story and main characters, they're really well done story-wise (not gameplay customization-wise).  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, General Tso said:

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

It's definitely a tradeoff.   I just finished it and took 60+ hours to finish all the side quests, all the hunts, everything.   

To say it's linear is an understatement.   And yeah, it sucks to lose the open world.   I think the one area that really jars JRPG fans is the complete lack of character / party customization.  I miss being able to mix it up with characters or personalize a skill tree.    

But as someone who grew up with the NES/SNES FF series, I don't have hundreds of hours to play games, either.     TOTK & FFXVI together just about killed me in that respect.   So as much as I miss the character / party customization / world exploration, my RL schedule definitely is grateful.   

The big positive trade-off is that the main storyline is told in such a rich / detailed fashion.   And the +side quests, and the ones with the main 3 characters, and the key supporting cast (anything to do with the bearers and their fates in other worlds really added to the depth of the main story), well they rock the story so hard.    I get the ambivalence, there's no going back to the FFVI / FFVIII / FFVIII days.   And I'll miss those elements from free world exploration, and party/character customization to the nth degree.   But I can't deny how crazy level of detail the main story gets told, in breathtaking fashion.

I don't think this tops my top 3 FF (VI, VII & XII), and I get the criticism.  But the presentation, story and main characters, they're really well done story-wise (not gameplay customization-wise).  

I don't even mind linear games if they are good, and there are alot of them.    I just dont really like that they took the franchise in that direction as much as they have.   As narrative driven as Final Fantasy games are, it makes sense, but as someone who enjoyed all the open world elements of old FF games, its just annoying.

In the end, its not a huge deal to me.    If its good, I will enjoy it.   Its just the old school Final Fantasy fanboy in me chiming it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Broncofan said:

A 12 fan, you don't find many of those in the wild.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 9:56 AM, 43M said:

I seem to think my sweet spot for games I've really enjoyed, that are geared towards exploration (so not TLoU), is around 85 so it's less than I would like but I will still be happy w/ the game, I'm guessing.

I 100% agree that FF has always been synonymous w/ open world exploration. Ever since the first one when you're limited until you get your boat and then your airship. After that, it's everywhere you want to go, whenever you want to go. I liked that part in 15 as well until you got off the main map into that linear mess.

I am also going to get this but waiting for a used copy or a drop b/c I'm cheap, nothing else lol. I saw your review for The Stick of Truth and I might pick up The Fractured But Hole as a middleman as I'm flying through GoWR right now. That game is tough to put down.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I think I have started it 3 or 4 times and never finished it. 

I think it has its flaws, but also does some things well.

Vaan is not a compelling MC, still don't know why Ashe wasn't just made the MC. The music is not "catchy." It's structured like an off-line FF11 just like 16 is like and off-line 14.

That being said, love the job board, open world, and gambit system.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, General Tso said:

I think it has its flaws, but also does some things well.

Vaan is not a compelling MC, still don't know why Ashe wasn't just made the MC. The music is not "catchy." It's structured like an off-line FF11 just like 16 is like and off-line 14.

That being said, love the job board, open world, and gambit system.

I gained alot of respect for 12 when I played it last year, but the characters were just meh.    Balthier was my favorite.   He had the best arc IMO.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm not putting 12 anywhere near the top but people really hated it and I really liked the new battle system, world, and gambit once you got it down. Hell of a learning curve with that part lol. Once I got a taste of non-turn based combat, I couldn't look back