The Reuben Foster Legal File Thread

J-ALL-DAY

11 hours ago, Forge said:

I don't think it changes much for the upcoming season - he's getting the six game suspension regardless of the criminal charges. However, it obviously has much longer term affects - more difficulty convicting him, the more likely to plea it down to a secondary misdemeanor charge or an acquittal altogether. If that's the case, the worst he'll likely face in his football career from this is the 6 game suspension, whereas if he were to be convicted of the charges as presented it could end his career. 

Yeah, but charges being dropped or downgraded will likely keep him on the team. Key words in the team's statement last week was his future on the team will be determined by the findings in the case. Well, if she doesn't cooperate then it will be hard for the DA to prove those charges. 

22 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, but charges being dropped or downgraded will likely keep him on the team. Key words in the team's statement last week was his future on the team will be determined by the findings in the case. Well, if she doesn't cooperate then it will be hard for the DA to prove those charges. 

Really dumb question..but if the charges are dropped, he can still be suspended?

2 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Really dumb question..but if the charges are dropped, he can still be suspended?

It depends I believe. The DA didn't even charge Eliot, but the NFL interviewed the victim and she told them he put his hands on her so he was suspended. I'm assuming that won't happen in this case if Foster's girlfriend wants to hire an attorney. Either way, I expect him to get suspended and it goes back to what Jim Trotter said the week before the charges were pressed. The team doesn't mind him getting suspended as it will teach him a lesson. I think it is clear unless the DA has a witness or clear proof he laid hands on her, Foster will remain on the team. Rightfully or not, this is why they kept him on in the first place knowing she would eventually hire an attorney and not testify against him. 

The DA said specifically when the charges were announced that they believe they have a solid case even if she doesn't testify. So maybe that possibility was already in progress. For evidence other than her current testimony they do have her 911 call.  They have her statements immediately after the event even if she recants them now. There's more about her maybe not testifyuing now - he was charged with a felony for intimidating a witness into not testifying. So not testifying now after she made statements immediately after the event would strengthen that charge. The announcement of the chraarges said she flagged down a passing car to make that call. So they'll have his testimony of what she said at the time. It is standard in cases involving violence to take pictures so it's likley they have that. Finally when the charges came out it was reported that she had bruising and a ruptured eardrum, hence the "great bodily harm" portion of the charge. So there will be hospital reports as well. Unless none of that really exists he's toast no matter how the court case goes. Also don't forget there are multiple firearms charges too that she won't have to tesify about. Oh, I almost forgot - doesn't he still have a pending charge for possession in Alabama? That would be after his diluted sample (considered a failed drug test) at the combine. Firearms and domestic abuse plus a second violation of league drug rules?  If there's any reasonable evidence at all, even if not enough for a conviction, the league will take a strong stance. People keep saying 6 games.  I think that's not worst case; I think that's best case.

Well, if the victim doesn't testify, it will still be hard for the DA to prove he committed those injuries on her even though he likely did. This is why Greg Hardy despite there being photos of him causing injuries to his girlfriend, the charges ended up getting dropped once she stopped cooperating. That ended in a civil suit just like this one will.

However, Hardy was still suspended for like 8 or 10 games I don't remember. So Foster should be expected to miss around the same time. 

Lynch it isn't just about being proven guilty in court, but also the information discovered in the process. But really they want him to be on this team badly and will probably keep him on if it is settled in a civil suit.

13 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

But will he be off the team if things are settled out of court?

It's the "personal conduct" policy plus specific rules on drug use. Doesn't need a conviction, as has been shown many times in the past.As Rudy said he is likely gone from our team, and likely facing a long suspension by the league.

Archived