The Reuben Foster Legal File Thread

J-ALL-DAY

9 minutes ago, N4L said:

That's not how I interpreted his statement. I took it as "don't forget who is in charge, I'm the guy who hired Kyle and John, everything that goes on here falls under my leadership". 

That's why I said he was an egomaniac. He wants everyone to know he is in charge. 

If he had taken credit for the Garoppolo trade, I'd agree, but here's it's about being in charge if something goes wrong. I think that's the owner's job to take that heat. Still, I'm not necessarily giving Jed credit. Maybe it was suggested to him by a PR person, by Paraag, by a lawyer, or by a parent. For the last 14 months, I don't recall Jed doing anything overly wrong. After witnessing him do wrong for the previous many years, I can only assume he's being advised by someone who knows better than he does.

emotions aside, these are the steps that we should take with Foster:

1. draft Edmunds or Smith at #9  If he (foster) goes to jail....cut him move on,

2. Draft Edmunds or Smith at #9 if he doesn't go to jail, but get some probation or fine or deferred adjudication, the league will levee a big suspension and he'll be suspended for AT LEAST 8 games if not more. Tell him serve his suspension, can come on back ...if he screws up again, cut him... I know, I know its seems like that's too soft but Foster is what I believe is a generational talent and we have been blessed to have generational talent at the inside LB spot hit us at least 3 times in the last ten years. 

3. Draft Edmunds or Smith at #9 if he gets off scott-free (which I seriously doubt but I'm covering all options) the league will STILL see him suspended (see zeke elliot) the suspension may not be as long as the 8 games plus but they have to have their pound of flesh in the NFL. Tell him to serve his suspension and come on back...If he screws up again, cut him. 

now if 2 or 3 happens we will have two phenomenal young backers on our defense. Maybe not this year but for years to come. if we draft Edmunds, foster goes in the middle and edmunds is on the strong side, if we draft Smith foster goes in the middle and smith plays will.

if 1 happens, we still will be solid with potential all-pro talent at the mike...

you don't have to agree its just my 49 bucks on what I'd do

3 hours ago, N4L said:

I freaking hate Jed York. "at the end of the day everything is my decision". Screw you, you pompus egomaniac. 

What a petty way to pump your chest out and proclaim you are in charge. 

What? The owner IS the guy that's ultimately in charge. He specifically said he's staying out of football related decision, but decisions about drugs and/or criminal activity are squarely in the purview of the owner.  I'm making no judgement whatsoever on the allegations about Foster. But it definitely ought to be the owner and not the coach that makes the final decisions about how much tolerance the team will have towards something like domestic violence. It's a touchy situation. I read everything he said and I think his statements were fine.

1 hour ago, N4L said:

That's not how I interpreted his statement. I took it as "don't forget who is in charge, I'm the guy who hired Kyle and John, everything that goes on here falls under my leadership". 

That's why I said he was an egomaniac. He wants everyone to know he is in charge. 

I read everytthing he said. My guess is that you interpreted it the way you did because you hate him, not that you hate him because of what he said.

12 minutes ago, Pandomonium said:

emotions aside, these are the steps that we should take with Foster:

1. draft Edmunds or Smith at #9  If he (foster) goes to jail....cut him move on,

2. Draft Edmunds or Smith at #9 if he doesn't go to jail, but get some probation or fine or deferred adjudication, the league will levee a big suspension and he'll be suspended for AT LEAST 8 games if not more. Tell him serve his suspension, can come on back ...if he screws up again, cut him... I know, I know its seems like that's too soft but Foster is what I believe is a generational talent and we have been blessed to have generational talent at the inside LB spot hit us at least 3 times in the last ten years. 

3. Draft Edmunds or Smith at #9 if he gets off scott-free (which I seriously doubt but I'm covering all options) the league will STILL see him suspended (see zeke elliot) the suspension may not be as long as the 8 games plus but they have to have their pound of flesh in the NFL. Tell him to serve his suspension and come on back...If he screws up again, cut him. 

now if 2 or 3 happens we will have two phenomenal young backers on our defense. Maybe not this year but for years to come. if we draft Edmunds, foster goes in the middle and edmunds is on the strong side, if we draft Smith foster goes in the middle and smith plays will.

if 1 happens, we still will be solid with potential all-pro talent at the mike...

you don't have to agree its just my 49 bucks on what I'd do

Even if this current problem weren't an issue and a potential suspension, or worse, hanging out there, Foster was hurt so often last year it's hard to think we can depend on him. Beyond that we have nothing much. Maybe Smith will surprise. I'm almost counting on it. But given all that I think Smith or Edmonds is by far the most likely pick.  If that's who it turns out to be I keep going back and forth on which one I prefer.

2 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Even if this current problem weren't an issue and a potential suspension, or worse, hanging out there, Foster was hurt so often last year it's hard to think we can depend on him. Beyond that we have nothing much. Maybe Smith will surprise. I'm almost counting on it. But given all that I think Smith or Edmonds is by far the most likely pick.  If that's who it turns out to be I keep going back and forth on which one I prefer.

i'm trying to understand what you're saying here, are you saying that even if none of this stuff was going on with Foster you were already ready to move on from him?

I don't think he's implying to move on from Foster, he's just mentioning he's fairly injury prone. So to have an additional LB like Smith or drafting R.Smith (or Edmund) helps. He could fill in if he's hurt or suspended, depending on what happens in the next few days/weeks. 

No matter what happens with Foster, one more LB wouldn't hurt. The team also knows more about Malcolm Smith's condition than we do. Who knows how his rehab has been going. Maybe they're not as confident in his return than we assume them to be. Then, we don't know what we're going to do with the Sam spot. No matter what happens, I'm sure we could find a role for either Smith or Edmunds, if we were so inclined. But until we hear about private meetings with them, or Lynch/Peters/Mayhew/Saleh/LB coach attending their pro day, AND a predraft visit, I'm not going to think we're interested in them. 

37 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

No matter what happens with Foster, one more LB wouldn't hurt. The team also knows more about Malcolm Smith's condition than we do. Who knows how his rehab has been going. Maybe they're not as confident in his return than we assume them to be. Then, we don't know what we're going to do with the Sam spot. No matter what happens, I'm sure we could find a role for either Smith or Edmunds, if we were so inclined. But until we hear about private meetings with them, or Lynch/Peters/Mayhew/Saleh/LB coach attending their pro day, AND a predraft visit, I'm not going to think we're interested in them. 

it would be a damn shame

44 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

No matter what happens with Foster, one more LB wouldn't hurt

You forget sir, Malcolm Smith is worth 2 linebackers.

I mean that quite literally, as his salary this year would be more than fosters and a linebacker chosen at #9 quite comfortably

4 hours ago, Pandomonium said:

i'm trying to understand what you're saying here, are you saying that even if none of this stuff was going on with Foster you were already ready to move on from him?

Worried about him is not at all the same thing as ready to move on.  I meant that he missed a lot fo games, and even games he played in he sometimes came out looking reaaly injured but then managed to get back into the game.  Might have just beena bad year, for him ... or he might be a bit "fragile".  Bottome line is that he was injued enough for me not to be convinced he'll be there every game for years to come.  

16 hours ago, rudyZ said:

Could they have had meetings with these guys and just kept it quiet? As is the no leaks policy with Lynch and Shanahan

1 hour ago, Hulkburn said:

Could they have had meetings with these guys and just kept it quiet? As is the no leaks policy with Lynch and Shanahan

Attending pro days, maybe they can sneak in and watch from afar, but I doubt that's really possible. If you're at someone's pro day, there's always a reporter who finds out who is who and posts it on twitter. As far as pre draft visits go, aren't those official, as in teams have a limited amount of them, and have to declare them to the league? But it's still early. These pre draft visits usually happen closer to the draft.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived