The Reuben Foster Legal File Thread

J-ALL-DAY

17 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I'm in the 'release now' crowd, but if they wait until the legal process plays out and releases him after, I don't think it is necessarily a terrible look. I would buy a "we made a mistake on Brock last time; this time we wanted to let the legal system play out before making snap decisions. The 49ers do not condone..." etc. after he is immediately released. But that's about the only way. 

I honestly have no preference as to whether or not we release him. It's just the way the NFL works...I've come to accept it. We release him, someone else ends up picking him up anyway. If he ends up going to jail, he's gone anyway, so I suppose in the long run it matters little to me. Waiting definitely makes more sense from the standpoint of potentially getting out of the guarantees, however. 

12 hours ago, Forge said:

I honestly have no preference as to whether or not we release him. It's just the way the NFL works...I've come to accept it. We release him, someone else ends up picking him up anyway. If he ends up going to jail, he's gone anyway, so I suppose in the long run it matters little to me. Waiting definitely makes more sense from the standpoint of potentially getting out of the guarantees, however. 

Yeah, pretty much the size of it. He is still an asset until he either sees jail time, or is indefinitely banned by the league. There is still a chance that Reuben can beat these charges and get his life together. It may be a lottery ticket at this point, but there's still a small chance this turns out well. The organization is simply making decisions like any normal NFL team would, trying not to pour out the milk before it's expired.

Even if foster doesn't play in a game for 2 years, he will still have 3 more years under contract for cheap. 

Also, it's awesome that Sherman has made it a point to make this his business. That is slightly different leadership than say, Eric Reid was offering. 

Speaking of Reid, I firmly believe that he should be fosters replacement. He did an incredible job in that spot with hardly any repts. He has always been a better in the box defender. He is an asset to the team no matter how you slice it - give him two or three years for a fair price and tell him he's penciled in as a starting lb. If tartt gets hurt then he can slide back in there, mid game even. As much as I love Derwin james, a trade or two back and an Eric Reid signing would be a fantastic use of a finite amount of resources. 

I think he can still be at the facility. He just won't attend meetings and practices. Which is exactly what I was hoping would happen. Sending him home wouldn't help. And pretending nothing happened wouldn't be right either. He's effectively suspended indefinitely. I don't think he's due any money until week 1. He doesn't have any roster bonus or workout bonus (which he wouldn't collect anyway at this point). So we're not committed to him any more now than we will be once his case is trialed. So there's no point in cutting him now.

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

According to Sam Wyche, Foster will be meeting with the team later this week. They want to meet to set up a "strategy for him to navigate" this situation or whatever the hell that means lol.

Basically Dez Bryant him a year to late.

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So basically paying her to keep quiet? Though the DA said they plan on pursuing these charges regardless of cooperation from the victim or not. 

I don't know if it's the victim who's looking to get paid, rather than Reuben trying to silence her, but the result will be the same. I wouldn't blame her if she sought a payment. She doesn't get anything out of it if he goes to jail. The DA isn't there to do her any favour. I still hope Reuben doesn't come out of this scot-free. If he doesn't go to jail, I'm still very much in favour of a suspension. 

I read that this morning. Depends on hospital reports, photos they might have taken, her 911 call, and statements she might have given right at the time of the incident. If what she says contradicts all that she might be exposing herself to perjury charges. In any case the league view and the team's view doesn not need to come down to  a conviction.  A preponderence of evidence would likely cause either or both of them to act.

I don't think it changes much for the upcoming season - he's getting the six game suspension regardless of the criminal charges. However, it obviously has much longer term affects - more difficulty convicting him, the more likely to plea it down to a secondary misdemeanor charge or an acquittal altogether. If that's the case, the worst he'll likely face in his football career from this is the 6 game suspension, whereas if he were to be convicted of the charges as presented it could end his career. 

Archived