The Reuben Foster Legal File Thread

J-ALL-DAY

4 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

They just might!

Unfortunately, I see indications of this type of behavior from adolescents on a regular basis. As a teacher, I see students doing anything they want regardless of the rules and get incredulous and defiant when called out on it. Entitlement is running rampant in younger generations.

It is a sad thing to see in adults as well. Reuben does appear to be Aldon all over again. Sigh. I was so pumped when we drafted him. Concerned, but confident Shan & Lynch had done their due diligence....well, Foster may be their first fail.

at some point can't even blame Foster's parents, he's a grown adult and needs to start acting like one 

1 minute ago, mrscottso said:

I really hope we don't just cut him. Maybe this wakes him up and he finally gets it.

It's seriously been a month since his last arrest. As a prospect, he was coming out with character concerns, then promptly failed a drug test at the combine for a diluted sample, got thrown out of the combine, has been arrested twice, including once for DV which is an automatic suspension, an assault rifle, which is weirdly parallel to Aldon Smith...Ifi the guy is going to wake up and get it it's probably not going to be while he's in a 49er uniform to be perfectly honest. As y2 said, those things usually take a long time to flip around, and I just don't know how much patience we would have for him in that scenario. I don't think we will cut him, but I would understand if we did. I try not to get to up in arms about things like this either way (meaning, it doesn't matter much to me if he's on the roster or not). 

Was he released on bail or was he released without any charges being filed? big difference there.

Obviously owning an assault rifle in California is poor choice. It is not inherently illegal though, there are legal ways to own them. A couple friends of mine own legal assault rifles. Owning an illegal assault rifle is dumb, but not something worth cutting a guy over IMO. There are responsible ways to own and handle firearms. 

We don't have any details about the actual incident that occurred. None. All we know is that the police showed up due to a 'disturbance'. I would like to hear about what actually happened before we vilify the guy. 

INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY

2 minutes ago, N4L said:

Was he released on bail or was he released without any charges being filed? big difference there.

Obviously owning an assault rifle in California is poor choice. It is not inherently illegal though, there are legal ways to own them. A couple friends of mine own legal assault rifles. Owning an illegal assault rifle is dumb, but not something worth cutting a guy over IMO. There are responsible ways to own and handle firearms. 

We don't have any details about the actual incident that occurred. None. All we know is that the police showed up due to a 'disturbance'. I would like to hear about what actually happened before we vilify the guy. 

INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY

Released on bail. 

As to the bolded - not in the NFL lol. He's suspended for this regardless of whether or not anything comes of it, to be perfectly honest, at least I think so. Zeke showed us that. But if there's one thing that we can say about the NFL punishments, it's that they are inconsistent as all get out. So who knows. 

5 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

I'm with those who say cut him now. Even those leopards that do supposedly "change their spots" (Adam Jones, Josh Gordon) do so only after a long period of time and many failings. I'm not interested in waiting and suffering through. 

If it wasn't for the NFLPA, if I were the team, I would suspend him for the rest of the season, after his NFL-given suspension. Just to send him a message. Then, if he does something wrong again, immediate release.

21 hours ago, struby3 said:

Josey Jewell was the best ILB in college football last year. Might not end up being the best pro out of the bunch, but nobody works harder than him. Also a high character and mature young man. 

I like him a lot too. If we don't get a guy in the first he could be a guy to target with  our 2nd or one of our 3rd rounders

Maybe there's a reason he fell as far as he did.  Maybe other teams did a better job of looking into his background and his personality.  In any case, in this day and age domestic violence in intolerabel.  If the charges are substantiated I suspect we cut him.

20 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Maybe there's a reason he fell as far as he did.  Maybe other teams did a better job of looking into his background and his personality.  In any case, in this day and age domestic violence in intolerabel.  If the charges are substantiated I suspect we cut him.

I don't think that teams did a better job of it, i think it's just about risk appetite. Some teams (the lions come immediately to mind since they took Davis over him), didn't have the stomach for him in the early 20's, but I have no doubt that several teams were considering him in the range we got him. Obviously we know that us and the Saints were on it. We knew that he was going to be a risk, as did other teams...the difference is just how much risk and reward you're willing to balance out. I still think that pick was worth the risk at that point, it just doesn't appear to be working out. It happens. 

Some guy is on /r/49ers saying that his Gun is going to check out and he'll be fine with that charge. I guess he has some modifications on the gun that make it look like an assault rifle, but is in fact, not. 

edit: He said that obviously it's dubious with him posting on a throwaway, so take it with a massive grain of salt..

1 minute ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

More bad news for Reuben Foster: He's also being accused of physically dragging his girlfriend during a heated argument with the extent of the injuries unknown, per @mercnews 

Well. See ya kid 

The worst thing that could happen for him is that the details get known. That's where the real backlash comes in, to be frank. We hear domestic violence so much that sometimes we as fans, and people around the NFL, are de-sensitized to it. When you start getting the specific details (or get a video), it starts getting more and more vivid in people's heads. That's when you get the public outcry, the really, really bad looks, etc. 

I don't care about the weed or the assault rifle even. Those are signs of major immaturity to me but nothing more. 

As an organization we need to take a stand against domestic violence. Every case is different, obviously, but I hope we have as close to a zero tolerance policy as we can. If what is alleged regarding domestic violence is true then I'll be disappointed if we don't cut him.

Huge test for Lynch and Shanny. An opportunity for them to set the tone of how this organization will be run.

I guess by her own admission she wouldn't leave despite him trying to kick her out. Decides to get physical. 

He's an idiot, but it's starting to sound like she did him dirty.

Honestly, he's still probably not worth the trouble. Draft Roquan or Edmunds and move on. 

Archived