BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

1 hour ago, Whicker said:

And I'm saying that this better come with a proposal that doesn't just shorten the season by X weeks. We have the 6 + 8 schedule which works perfectly with our division structure. We can't go to three divisions. We can't go to five

I seriously doubt anything changes as it goes to vote...kinda like irl.

I don't think we need to change the divisions up at all keep them listed as they are.  We face our division opponents twice (6 games) then face off again two conf. and two nonconf games.  Total 10 games w/ a 8 team playoff schedule as it is now.

10 games is plenty to determine if a team sucks or not.

Edited by ny92mike
Not 6 but 8 team playoff

So how close where you to casting your vote with the majority for the winning team?

Stress no more here are the results for the regular season.  The math for this only looking at if you cast a vote for the winning team.  Tiebreakers were not included or if you didn't cast a vote at all.

If you'd care to see the weekly breakdown let me know.

Owner Win Loss Win %
bcb1213 90 22 80.4%
Ragnarok 84 28 75.0%
SirA1 83 29 74.1%
Whicker 81 31 72.3%
RuskieTitan 80 32 71.4%
ny92mike 79 33 70.5%
Jlash 76 36 67.9%
Counselor 74 38 66.1%
Hockey5djh 73 39 65.2%
pheltzbahr 73 39 65.2%
SwoleXmad 73 39 65.2%
TedLavie 73 39 65.2%
WFLukic 72 40 64.3%
MD4L 69 43 61.6%
PR 65 47 58.0%
DingoLadd 64 48 57.1%

@DingoLadd = wild card...haha.

giphy.gif

Edited by ny92mike
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Whicker said:

Nobody missed the playoffs this year. Gotham's effort went AWOL and he knew he wasn't going for it. Every other non playoff team knew they weren't making it. Teams need to miss the playoffs for it to matter. Louisiana should have missed for their misses towards the end IMO. If life, happens. Tough. Just like me with Newton. No other team stood a chance in their game. With a healthy Newton Hawaii loses in a blowout due to three corners. 

I still thought I was making the playoffs before the trade deadline. You can ask @Hockey5djh because I thought I could win out and easily get in but the perception of Carr being on a bad team IRL was too much to overcome his likely best season IRL even above 2016. People need to realize QB is not everything. 

After losing 3 matches to inferior teams I got frustrated but other than one week where I was busy but still submitted something rather than nothing got hammered for tanking even though I don't ever have most of my own draft picks.

I normally start the season 0-3 and then make the climb into the playoffs this season I won early and faded away because of losing like 2-3 players for 4-5 weeks and then an opinion of my team settled in for most of the voters for the rest of the season.. There are 11 starters on each side. IRL teams deal with stuff that like and keep on every week.

Edited by SirA1
  • Like 1

I'd like to apologize to the playoff teams, I would've voted but it's an awful time of year for where I work. I'd feel bad if any of the games were decided by less than one vote but eh.

Looking at the match ups and after reading/skimming the game plans my votes would've been.

Seoul>Louisiana

Long Beach<Orlando.

IC<Rome.

Hawaii<OKC. 

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

So how close where you to casting your vote with the majority for the winning team?

Stress no more here are the results for the regular season.  The math for this only looking at if you cast a vote for the winning team.  Tiebreakers were not included or if you didn't cast a vote at all.

If you'd care to see the weekly breakdown let me know.

Owner Win Loss Win %
bcb1213 90 22 80.4%
Ragnarok 84 28 75.0%
SirA1 83 29 74.1%
Whicker 81 31 72.3%
RuskieTitan 80 32 71.4%
ny92mike 79 33 70.5%
Jlash 76 36 67.9%
Counselor 74 38 66.1%
Hockey5djh 73 39 65.2%
pheltzbahr 73 39 65.2%
SwoleXmad 73 39 65.2%
TedLavie 73 39 65.2%
WFLukic 72 40 64.3%
MD4L 69 43 61.6%
PR 65 47 58.0%
DingoLadd 64 48 57.1%

@DingoLadd = wild card...haha.

giphy.gif

I guess my affinity for losing teams spread to my actual record. 

2 hours ago, ny92mike said:

I don't think we need to change the divisions up at all keep them listed as they are.  We face our division opponents twice (6 games) then face off again two conf. and two nonconf games.  Total 10 games w/ a 8 team playoff schedule as it is now.

It's your first season. You hit a rookie wall. My suggestion would be to pace yourself. You don't need to write a novella each week. Some of the in season game plans were extremely too long and ended up being verbal diarrhea. Not just calling you out here either. There is a time for stuff like the in the playoffs where there are less games and the same amount of time to read.

My suggestions to you and all owners is to budget time and make a schedule and try and stick to it.

For example.

And this may not be for everyone. Just what I do for sanity reasons.

Sunday

I vote for my team as soon as the poll is up. That way you don't forget.

I glance at my opponents roster to see if there are any crazy Lineup mistakes and point them out.

I generally try and not to get into the back and forth with my opponent as it's not my job to make a decision on who should win my match it's the rest of the league.

Unless I have a crazy amount of extra time I don't look at any other match ups til Tuesday. 

Tuesday

I budget time to vote on Tuesday nights while watching TV.  I have a very simplified method of voting that I developed by necessity for just the reasons you stated in that the season is long.

1. Performance for the week (to give it a fantasy component),

2. Match up comparison of the Lineups (OL vs DL, WR vs DB, RB vs LB, QB vs QB)

If one team has won both of those for me I stop there unless the Game plans look concise.

3. The Game Plan is the tie breaker for me. If you need 1,000's of words to justify a win, you're doing it wrong IMO.

Wednesday

After the votes are in I get my Waiver claim in when I get home from work. I have an idea of who I want already as I keep a running list of players I want from the beginning of the season.

I'll also update my Google doc that I use for my weekly Game plans with any lineup changes due to IR/Injury etc at this time to get that out of the way.

Thursday-Saturday

Depending on what else I'm doing I'll get either the Offensive or Defensive side of the game plan done one day or the other and get stuff sent in Saturday night or sooner.

As @TedLavie said the league won't function without votes. Comments are nice but are more of a what do I need to improve on rather than needing to justify a vote.

I think extending the voting any longer than it is is just silly. Soon voting won't be done til Fridays and then people will be complaining they don't have enough time to make write ups for the next week. We used to have much tighter voting windows and things worked fine and had even more International owners then than we do now (Ted, Lukic).

45 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

It's your first season. You hit a rookie wall. My suggestion would be to pace yourself. You don't need to write a novella each week. Some of the in season game plans were extremely too long and ended up being verbal diarrhea. Not just calling you out here either. There is a time for stuff like the in the playoffs where there are less games and the same amount of time to read.

My suggestions to you and all owners is to budget time and make a schedule and try and stick to it.

For example.

And this may not be for everyone. Just what I do for sanity reasons.

Sunday

I vote for my team as soon as the poll is up. That way you don't forget.

I glance at my opponents roster to see if there are any crazy Lineup mistakes and point them out.

I generally try and not to get into the back and forth with my opponent as it's not my job to make a decision on who should win my match it's the rest of the league.

Unless I have a crazy amount of extra time I don't look at any other match ups til Tuesday. 

Tuesday

I budget time to vote on Tuesday nights while watching TV.  I have a very simplified method of voting that I developed by necessity for just the reasons you stated in that the season is long.

1. Performance for the week (to give it a fantasy component),

2. Match up comparison of the Lineups (OL vs DL, WR vs DB, RB vs LB, QB vs QB)

If one team has won both of those for me I stop there unless the Game plans look concise.

3. The Game Plan is the tie breaker for me. If you need 1,000's of words to justify a win, you're doing it wrong IMO.

Wednesday

After the votes are in I get my Waiver claim in when I get home from work. I have an idea of who I want already as I keep a running list of players I want from the beginning of the season.

I'll also update my Google doc that I use for my weekly Game plans with any lineup changes due to IR/Injury etc at this time to get that out of the way.

Thursday-Saturday

Depending on what else I'm doing I'll get either the Offensive or Defensive side of the game plan done one day or the other and get stuff sent in Saturday night or sooner.

As @TedLavie said the league won't function without votes. Comments are nice but are more of a what do I need to improve on rather than needing to justify a vote.

I think extending the voting any longer than it is is just silly. Soon voting won't be done til Fridays and then people will be complaining they don't have enough time to make write ups for the next week. We used to have much tighter voting windows and things worked fine and had even more International owners then than we do now (Ted, Lukic).

I really think my plans are average if not even on the short side compared to others.

The weekly plan kinda makes my case.  Its great that you and others have that kind of time, but I still think its a lot to ask.  Like I said you guys put up a solid SIM I just feel it would be more enjoyed if it wasnt so long.  

This isn't a knock because several think I make my mock too complex or put too many rules in it.  I get you can't please everyone.

Maybe I'm just getting old and slowing down.

Edited by ny92mike

3 hours ago, ny92mike said:

I'm going to be strongly opposed to any proposal that tries to reduce the season without also reducing playoff teams or playoff weeks. I could see a WC play-in like baseball where that's the only game going that week. If you want in, you better show up. If life happens, better luck next year.

Winning in this league is more than putting together a good roster. Your team has to show up every week. I don't get how it's okay for someone to lose because they were unlucky enough to receive a QB injury but it's not okay for people to be punished playoffs wise for poor coaching. And by poor coaching I mean everything that comes with submitting a gameplan every week. It's not some personal indictment. I was a poor *** coach in my game against Wichita. I paid the price and pretty much put myself in fifth seed from first because of it.

People say tanking is a problem. I don't think it is. Activity is the problem and it always will be because of the things that Ruskie went over. Was I "tanking" during my missed week against Wichita? No! I had life **** happening and I really didn't have much choice.

Reducing the playoff teams would help with activity. Success if the only reward in this league outside of entertainment. Taking away possibilities for success is the best way to punish activity. If you're a #1 seed but can't show up for two weeks and you end up #6 and miss the playoffs? As I said how is that any different from someone losing a cornerstone player that causes them to receive autolosses? Tough ****. Better luck next year.

Gotham was almost a sure-fire playoff team but they started to "tank." Berlin and Singapore were mathematically eliminated and put out reasonably strong gameplans. Portland and Sydney were mathematically eliminated but still put out their normal gameplans. Hawaii was in the playoffs and put out a gameplan that was limited by life. Chance of playoff =/= gameplan effort. Gameplan effort is equal to the life circumstances of those who are writing them. We should EMBRACE that parity in BDL rather than do everything we can to mitigate its impact.

Like... you all want a bye-week and fewer weeks you have to play. One fewer playoff week solves both of these problems at the same time while also carrying other benefits described above. We can also do this without altering our divisional structure or schedule.

5 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

I really think my plans are average if not even on the short side compared to others.

The weekly plan kinda makes my case.  Its great that you and others have that kind of time, but I still think its a lot to ask.  Like I said you guys put up a solid SIM I just feel it would be more enjoyed if it wasnt so long.  

This isn't a knock because several think I make my mock too complex or put too many rules in it.  I get you can't please everyone.

All of that above takes me at most 2-3 hours a week in total time. I spend more time working on my personal spreadsheet manually updating stats, looking at draft picks, etc that I do on the BDL game week. 

3 minutes ago, Whicker said:

Like... you all want a bye-week and fewer weeks you have to play. One fewer playoff week solves both of these problems at the same time while also carrying other benefits described above. We can also do this without altering our divisional structure or schedule.

I would be fine with a 6 team playoff. it would give the 1-2 seeds a breather/BYE week.