BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

12 minutes ago, Whicker said:

I don't get what you want, dude.

I don't think my attitude is bitchy at all. You can believe it or not, but I'm genuinely trying to move this conversation to get what you want in a way that I think will be heard and responded to. This is how I conversate/argue with people. That's how I've done things my whole life. IRL and on the internet. And IMO I'm doing just fine in my ability to relate to people.

Your opinion is heard. I'm legitimately trying to help you reduce the number of weeks in a BDL season.

Saying "I don't care where weeks are shaved" is the problem. In my experience, saying something general like "I want a shorter year" doesn't get things done. "I want to save some more money." "I want to eat healthier." In my personal experience (of not only me but others around me), those kinds of phrases do not lead to actual accomplished goals. "I am going to set aside $100 extra a month." "I'm going to only drink soda every other day." "Let's cut out X week then Y week." IMO, that's how things get changed.

I've stated it, but I'll stat it again.

Drop 4 games off the reg. season, reduce the playoff games if you like.  

Play 10 reg season games 6 division, 2 conf and 2 non conf = 10 total for the season.  Have the 3 playoff weeks as it is currently set up.  Giving this complete season 13 weeks.  The season would be over around dec. 2nd I think to tired to look.

The "I don't care" commit is what you have a problem with?  Because it makes me sound lazy or I can't accomplish goals?  Give me a break.  Let me help you out, this is you at the very least being a ****.  I've done my fair share in this sim, what I'm working on right now with the workbooks is more than likely greater than any achievement you've done with this sim.

2 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

I've stated it, but I'll stat it again.

Drop 4 games off the reg. season, reduce the playoff games if you like.  

Play 10 reg season games 6 division, 2 conf and 2 non conf = 10 total for the season.  Have the 3 playoff weeks as it is currently set up.  Giving this complete season 13 weeks.  The season would be over around dec. 2nd I think to tired to look.

The "I don't care" commit is what you have a problem with?  Because it makes me sound lazy or I can't accomplish goals?  Give me a break.  Let me help you out, this is you at the very least being a ****.  I've done my fair share in this sim, what I'm working on right now with the workbooks is more than likely greater than any achievement you've done with this sim.

I don't even know what to say. I've never attacked you. I have never said those things about you.

Just now, Whicker said:

I don't even know what to say. I've never attacked you. I have never said those things about you.

dude are you off your meds?  Change really does freak you out, even the idea of it.  

Saying and insinuating it is the same thing.

You're talking to me like this is my first rodeo and when I tell you what I think, you ignore it or say that it's out of the question. 

7 hours ago, Whicker said:

And I'm saying that this better come with a proposal that doesn't just shorten the season by X weeks. We have the 6 + 8 schedule which works perfectly with our division structure. We can't go to three divisions. We can't go to five

I seriously doubt anything changes as it goes to vote...kinda like irl.

I don't think we need to change the divisions up at all keep them listed as they are.  We face our division opponents twice (6 games) then face off again two conf. and two nonconf games.  Total 10 games w/ a 8 team playoff schedule as it is now.

10 games is plenty to determine if a team sucks or not.

You keep saying you're trying to help me, but I have yet to hear you say a 10 week reg. season is good with you.  You keep hitting home about the playoffs and shaving it down from 8 to 4, but bcb, who I believe to be a lead within this sim doesn't really think this would accomplish anything but make it worse.  Who the hell wants 4 playoff teams in a 16 team league, why take the zing out of it when a shorter regular season achieves the same thing without having to dismantle the playoffs?

I think reducing it down to a 6 team playoff with perhaps even tossing in a bye week for the top two seeds is a solid compromise to this 8 to 4 team matchup you're talking about, but again if it happens cool if it doesn't cool.  

My whole point of this conversation is to suggest that a season that ends late Nov. - early Dec would boost retention and membership in the long run.  If you guys want to keep it a 14 week season, I'm fine with that too.  I'm not demanding we change anything, merely suggesting.  As a new member providing constructive criticism, which is what I'd expect from any new member joining my mock draft.  

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

dude are you off your meds?  Change really does freak you out, even the idea of it.  

Saying and insinuating it is the same thing.

You're talking to me like this is my first rodeo and when I tell you what I think, you ignore it or say that it's out of the question. 

7 hours ago, Whicker said:

And I'm saying that this better come with a proposal that doesn't just shorten the season by X weeks. We have the 6 + 8 schedule which works perfectly with our division structure. We can't go to three divisions. We can't go to five

I seriously doubt anything changes as it goes to vote...kinda like irl.

I don't think we need to change the divisions up at all keep them listed as they are.  We face our division opponents twice (6 games) then face off again two conf. and two nonconf games.  Total 10 games w/ a 8 team playoff schedule as it is now.

10 games is plenty to determine if a team sucks or not.

You keep saying you're trying to help me, but I have yet to hear you say a 10 week reg. season is good with you.  You keep hitting home about the playoffs and shaving it down from 8 to 4, but bcb, who I believe to be a lead within this sim doesn't really think this would accomplish anything but make it worse.  Who the hell wants 4 playoff teams in a 16 team league, why take the zing out of it when a shorter regular season achieves the same thing without having to dismantle the playoffs?

I think reducing it down to a 6 team playoff with perhaps even tossing in a bye week for the top two seeds is a solid compromise to this 8 to 4 team matchup you're talking about, but again if it happens cool if it doesn't cool.  

My whole point of this conversation is to suggest that a season that ends late Nov. - early Dec would boost retention and membership in the long run.  If you guys want to keep it a 14 week season, I'm fine with that too.  I'm not demanding we change anything, merely suggesting.  As a new member providing constructive criticism, which is what I'd expect from any new member joining my mock draft.  

We just really don't get each other

I wasn't insinuating anything. I was trying to find a way to explain myself in a way that relates to my personal experience in problem solving which is the only perspective I know and speak from. Just because I assert something as correct doesn't mean it is. I told you why I think a 10 game regular season is strong. I don't know if we can get to that point. I don't know if it's a good idea or not because I don't know what weeks make sense to eliminate. You gave your opinion and I gave mine. We can disagree. If you think I insinuated some insult to you just because, then that's on you. I know I'm not a jerk or an *** and I know what I was meaning to convey. 

I've responded to bcb and that was the beginning of a good conversation. His opinion matters as much as mine. I've yet to see rebuttles to my points in response other than one agreement in playoff reduction. This is the conversation that I was expecting to come from this. I have responses to your points but I'll save them for when we're actually talking. 

I'm not demanding we change anything either. I'm suggesting just like you are. As I've said, just because I assert myself and my opinion doesn't make it truth or right. You all are welcome to argue with me. 

Edited by Whicker

well, that escalated quickly.  Arguing about fake football from 1 AM to 4 AM is not good for your health. It's ok fellas.  You disagree, sometimes its better to go, welp i think you're wrong but we obviously aren't gonna change each others minds on this one.  Like I think the system we have now is fantastic and will whole heartedly be against any changes you guys propose to reducing the year because frankly, divisions have a completely balanced scheduele which is great.  (ie everyone in your division plays the exact same teams)/  Despite Whicker's idea, I whole heartedly believe  most of the teams are gonna put in way less effort earlier if they have even less of a chance of making it in where anything can happen(yes like your QB being hurt). Hell, i still remember the Matt McGloin, Tom Savage playoff game.  You simply have to build depth in this league, it's something I've prided myself on doing which is why I'm still around despite leading the league in IR players.  It's not broken, don't fix it.

now despite saying all that, do I understand where you guys are coming from, sure.  Hell, theres parts of my gamplean i use just about every week because simply it's easier substituting names in then rewriting a whole new thing.  If you're running basically the same scheme, there's no reason to reinvent the wheel every week.  I started that last year and frankly it cut down some of the busy work quite a bit.

Mike as far as the sheets, I think it's awesome you're doing it, but once its made, I don't think next year you'll really have to do much work on it so I would think this is more of a one year stress than a long term thing and you may find all the time you spend on that goes away and you enjoy the full year bdl experience more 

• Like 1

The schedule is worth talking about if enough people have an opinion, just like anything else would be. 

I think the new sheets are great from what I've seen. But with moving and the holidays I haven't had a ton of time to dig into them to provide any good feedback.

18 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I like rum.

I prefer gin. 

On another note, we discussed for the joke of it a live draft. While an in person live draft is way too ambitious (though I'm always down for a trip to Vegas), if possible in terms of schedule, do you want to try a live online draft this fall? We could book a Saturday night at times where Lukic, me and the rest of you can be all there, and try to check if there is an online platform that allow us to do it.

I'd be super down for it. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

I prefer gin. 

On another note, we discussed for the joke of it a live draft. While an in person live draft is way too ambitious (though I'm always down for a trip to Vegas), if possible in terms of schedule, do you want to try a live online draft this fall? We could book a Saturday night at times where Lukic, me and the rest of you can be all there, and try to check if there is an online platform that allow us to do it.

approved if Lukic's mom is there

• Like 4

5 hours ago, bcb1213 said:

well, that escalated quickly.  Arguing about fake football from 1 AM to 4 AM is not good for your health. It's ok fellas.  You disagree, sometimes its better to go, welp i think you're wrong but we obviously aren't gonna change each others minds on this one.  Like I think the system we have now is fantastic and will whole heartedly be against any changes you guys propose to reducing the year because frankly, divisions have a completely balanced scheduele which is great.  (ie everyone in your division plays the exact same teams)/  Despite Whicker's idea, I whole heartedly believe  most of the teams are gonna put in way less effort earlier if they have even less of a chance of making it in where anything can happen(yes like your QB being hurt). Hell, i still remember the Matt McGloin, Tom Savage playoff game.  You simply have to build depth in this league, it's something I've prided myself on doing which is why I'm still around despite leading the league in IR players.  It's not broken, don't fix it.

now despite saying all that, do I understand where you guys are coming from, sure.  Hell, theres parts of my gamplean i use just about every week because simply it's easier substituting names in then rewriting a whole new thing.  If you're running basically the same scheme, there's no reason to reinvent the wheel every week.  I started that last year and frankly it cut down some of the busy work quite a bit.

Mike as far as the sheets, I think it's awesome you're doing it, but once its made, I don't think next year you'll really have to do much work on it so I would think this is more of a one year stress than a long term thing and you may find all the time you spend on that goes away and you enjoy the full year bdl experience more 

Completely understand...If the season works for you guys then I see no reason to change it.  All I was trying to convey last night was that for a noob, I felt the season is long in the tooth, constructive criticism or feedback whatever you wanna call it, is all I was saying.  

Look I love what you guys have created here.  Heck I'm in the playoffs as the top seed so that's cool, I've had a blast and will continue to put the work in this season. 

1 hour ago, TedLavie said:

I prefer gin. 

Does this trip include a continental breakfast?

2 hours ago, TedLavie said:

I prefer gin. 

Vegas