Offseason Rumor Thread

49erurtaza

43 minutes ago, saintsfan said:

They're saying the Rams made a strong impression because the visit just happened, not that they made the strongest impression. After the Saints visit he IGed that he really liked it down there and was excited about his opportunity. It was also reported that he loved Sean P and our Dennis Allen. If Saints get Suh they are just as much favorites as the Rams would be. In Nola, he plays next to a top DE Cam Jordan with Alex Okafor and Rankins filling out the line and a strong young secondary with the DROY. On top of that, Brees is a seasoned QB with playoff experience and one ring already. I think honestly LA and NOLA are neck in neck in terms of opportunity, chances of success and available cap space. I think LA takes the edge with marketing opportunities, playing next to Donald, and his ties with coaches. I think NOLA takes the edge with a more experienced offense with more career success, a dominant DE to play next to, and a stronger fan base.

Exsqueeze me?  Depending on which source we're going by (OTC vs Spotrac), you guys currently have between $5-7.5M in cap space right now and ~$44M in 2019.  The Rams currently have $35M in space right now and excess of $95M next year.  Neck and neck in terms of available cap space the two definitely are not.  They're not even in the same stratosphere.

31 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

I really dont see Suh realistically going to the LA Rams. 

I think he is using them (obvi just my theory but it has plenty of plausibility) as leverage against Tennessee and/or NO. Or using NO and LAR to make Tennessee pay him out the arse. Because idk how NO has the cap to sign him. 

Anyone that thinks Suh is going to take anything less than 10-12 million a year is nuts. He isnt taking a discount to chase a ring.  He literally has been open about his business like approach in football. He is a business man, who is great at what he does, and maximizes that talent to make as much money as possible.

Anyway even if he was going to be serious about going to chase a ring, then he would absolutely have visited Philly or NE. Obviously it probably wasnt super serious, but when he saw us practice last off-season he made a comment about how hed play on the team for free because of how impressive the culture/players/enviroment etc was. 

But lets say realistically that the Rams are a serious suitor. So what kind of "discount" would Suh get? The Rams have 30 million in cap. And people make the mistake of looking at cap room and not factoring in players that have already been resigned or signed or players that will need to be resigned within 1-3 years. LA has to pay literally two players contracts that will likely have to be top AAV and guaranteed figures amongst their positions (Gurley and Donald). Then you have Joyner who is playing under the tag and will need a new deal. And Goff after that. And Peters. 

Then, theres the whole problem of Donald. The Rams and Donald have been negotiating a new deal for like almost a year now and still havent worked out a new deal. So how would Donald feel, after having made only 1.9 million in 2017 and will make 6.9 million in 2018, if his team signs Suh to something like 3 years/40 million/24 guaranteed or something like that. Because 13 mil a year is about the low end of what Suh would probably ever consider to play for a contender (also remember that he will be taking the state taxes into account too. Because going from FL who has no state income taxes, to California, is a big difference and not in a good way for Suh). So the Rams are gonna commit that kind of money to a 31 year old Suh, when they havent even paid their own guy in Donald? And people think Donald wouldnt be upset about that? Please. Gimme a break.

Just like it is for us Eagles fans, Suh is a pipedream for LA. Its not happening.

Go look at the Rams' available cap space in 2019.  Just go look.  They could pay, just highballing the figure as an estimate, Donald $20m AAV and Joyner $12m AAV and still be $60m under the cap.

The most recent report was that the Rams execs and Donald's camp had reached agreement on a timeline for an extension.  Now, a logical person would look at the kind of cap-space that the Rams have coming up next season and the fact that the only new monies that Donald would get over the $6.9m on his 5th-year option this year would be signing bonus money.  Signing bonus money he's going to get regardless at time of execution of contract.  You're reading stuff into this that frankly isn't there.  Peters is under contract control for two seasons still before any massive hit were to be on the ledger for him (depending on how much they frontload the hit of an extension signing bonus), Goff for three, Gurley for two.

You said it yourself, Suh's 31... he's not getting a deal that where the guarantees last much past 2-3 seasons at this point.  Realistically, his cap-number would likely be coming off the books the same year that Goff's spikes.

Convenient though, that your "theory" just happens to be the one that keeps another team in the same conference as your Eagles from becoming a bigger threat, hmm?  No bias there, I'm sure.

27 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Exsqueeze me?  Depending on which source we're going by (OTC vs Spotrac), you guys currently have between $5-7.5M in cap space right now and ~$44M in 2019.  The Rams currently have $35M in space right now and excess of $95M next year.  Neck and neck in terms of available cap space the two definitely are not.  They're not even in the same stratosphere.

Sorry, I meant in terms of the deal he'll likely get from either of us. Rams won't overpay, and Saints can restructure a couple contracts to make the necessary room for him

22 minutes ago, saintsfan said:

Sorry, I meant in terms of the deal he'll likely get from either of us. Rams won't overpay, and Saints can restructure a couple contracts to make the necessary room for him

38 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Go look at the Rams' available cap space in 2019.  Just go look.  They could pay, just highballing the figure as an estimate, Donald $20m AAV and Joyner $12m AAV and still be $60m under the cap.

The most recent report was that the Rams execs and Donald's camp had reached agreement on a timeline for an extension.  Now, a logical person would look at the kind of cap-space that the Rams have coming up next season and the fact that the only new monies that Donald would get over the $6.9m on his 5th-year option this year would be signing bonus money.  Signing bonus money he's going to get regardless at time of execution of contract.  You're reading stuff into this that frankly isn't there.  Peters is under contract control for two seasons still before any massive hit were to be on the ledger for him (depending on how much they frontload the hit of an extension signing bonus), Goff for three, Gurley for two.

You said it yourself, Suh's 31... he's not getting a deal that where the guarantees last much past 2-3 seasons at this point.  Realistically, his cap-number would likely be coming off the books the same year that Goff's spikes.

Convenient though, that your "theory" just happens to be the one that keeps another team in the same conference as your Eagles from becoming a bigger threat, hmm?  No bias there, I'm sure.

Dear Rams, Please sigh Suh, I do not want him with the raiders.

Thanks

40 minutes ago, The LBC said:

My "theory" is based off of logic.

I actually would be more happy than upset, as a rival NFC team, if LA signed Suh. Because frankly I think that their defense is already getting completely overrated and that the locker room culture there could be a big issue. 

And LA is probably like maybe 3rd or 4th on the list of NFC teams Im most worried about.

We just won the Superbowl after having basically the most dominant team in the NFL from week 1 to aforementioned Superbowl. The Rams made an insane leap from 2016 to 2017, in which they went from bottom 3 offense to top 3. Regression to the mean.

I just think that they were on their way to building an awesome team the right way before this offseason. 

They have added two corners, both head cases, and have zero outside pass rush to speak of, no LBs, no depth on defense....I know im gonna get the Rams mob all over me for saying this but they're just being overrated. Let them win at least one playoff game before I even think that they are on the same level as my Eagles

2 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

I actually would be more happy than upset, as a rival NFC team, if LA signed Suh. Because frankly I think that their defense is already getting completely overrated and that the locker room culture there could be a big issue. 

And LA is probably like maybe 3rd or 4th on the list of NFC teams Im most worried about.

We just won the Superbowl after having basically the most dominant team in the NFL from week 1 to aforementioned Superbowl. The Rams made an insane leap from 2016 to 2017, in which they went from bottom 3 offense to top 3. Regression to the mean.

I just think that they were on their way to building an awesome team the right way before this offseason. 

They have added two corners, both head cases, and have zero outside pass rush to speak of, no LBs, no depth on defense....I know im gonna get the Rams mob all over me for saying this but they're just being overrated. Let them win at least one playoff game before I even think that they are on the same level as my Eagles

Your humility is truly stifling.  But then FF gonna FF, I guess.

5 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

Why? Because I dont think LA is going to be better than NO, Minn, or possibly even Carolina?

More like because you freely use hyperbole without grasping context.  But hey, you do you.

19 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

We just won the Superbowl after having basically the most dominant team in the NFL from week 1 to aforementioned Superbowl. 

19 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

The Rams made an insane leap from 2016 to 2017, in which they went from bottom 3 offense to top 3. Regression to the mean.

Unless you think the Eagles will also regress, this is pretty hypocritical.

40 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

All of this Suh talk is pointless. He's going to LA to dominate the league with Donald.

Man, Talib, Peters and Suh on the same side of the ball is scary in a lot of ways. Great for talent, but a potential locker room disaster waiting to happen.

55 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

Why? Because I dont think LA is going to be better than NO, Minn, or possibly even Carolina?

11-5 last season basically with the unknown. Just think about it? New coach staff outside of the Special Teams coach Fassel, unproven QB (7 starts under his belt), new scheme for both defense and offense, new players on offense. Goff literally had a new left tackle, new center, four new receivers, and a new tight end. Again the Rams went 11-5.

Fastforward to this season. The offense is pretty much the same minus Watkins. The Rams got their entire starting offensive line back. Thats extremely important. Goff and the rest of the offense is a year more experienced in McVay offense. McVay is a year more experienced as a head coach. Kupp, Reynolds, and Everett should all take that step up from their rookie seasons to the sophomore seasons. If Everett does take that step up then the Rams offense will flourish even more because in McVay system, its vital for the tight ends to be productive.

On defense, the Rams are finally transforming from the 4-3 scheme to Wade Phillips 3-4 scheme. As much as I loved Quinn and Tree, those guys didnt fit the 3-4 well.The Rams organization knew they was going to lose Tru in FA. So the fact that the Rams traded Quinn and Tree to free up cap space and add picks to go out and get Peters and Talib, then sign Shields, tag Joyner, and resign NRC was smart. Wade will find linebackers to fit his scheme but in his scheme he needs man to man lockdown cornerbacks. The only people who are making a big deal about the Rams losing Quinn and Tree are the fans. Those who really know football look at the Rams defense under Wade and know that with the dline that has Donald and Brockers and the secondary that has Peters, Talib, and Joyner they know the Rams defense is scary. If the Rams add Suh, that takes this defense to another level.

So basically what Im saying is adding Suh, the Rams should be better than alot of the teams you mentioned. They are already better than the Saints, because they beat them head to head last year and finished higher than them in the conference. I know you probably will say the Saints didnt have both Lattimore and Crawley in that game. You are right. But remember when the Rams played the Vikings? That game was 7-7 entering the 4th Quarter when the Rams lost Webster and was down to their 6th cornerback who was a undrafted rookie forced to defend Theilen. Once that happened, the Vikings attacked that side of the field and blew the game wide open. I think the Rams could be 11-5 again if not 12-4 if they add Suh. Teams would struggle to move the football let alone score many points. We know McVay and the Rams offense will score. I dont see how the Rams wouldnt be at worst the 2nd best team in the NFC if Suh is added.

41 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Man, Talib, Peters and Suh on the same side of the ball is scary in a lot of ways. Great for talent, but a potential locker room disaster waiting to happen.

Yeah but the common denominator is Wade Phillips. There is a reason why so many people across the league love and respect him. Thats why even when Fisher was the Rams head coach and he went out and drafted guys like Jenkins who had character issues that it was ok because Fisher knew how to deal with players like that. Jenkins came to the Rams and besides missing curefew with Givens one time, which got them both suspended one game, Jenkins didnt do anything to hurt the team or the locker room. I believe if the Rams didnt have Wade Phillips the Rams wouldnt have made the moves of getting Peters and trying to get Suh. I know Talib wouldnt have came to LA if it wasnt for Wade. Suh is intrigued with LA not only because of Donald but because of Wade as well. So while many people will be waiting for disaster, there wont be any because Wade will have things under control. Plus McVay has already established a culture that guys have brought into. If he can walk onto a team that has been losing for so long and get them to buy into what he is saying right away that has produced success that quickly, then I believe guys like Peters, Suh, and Talib will do the same. And Talib and Peters basically said that in so many words how they like what I saw from McVay from afar last season. Again Suh left LA strongly impressed too after meeting with McVay and company. So dont under sell McVay. The locker room will be just fine.

2 hours ago, BAConrad said:

Because i am someone who just witnessed firsthand how crucial team culture and locker room culture are. I just think if the Rams add Suh that they are basically going to be a mess internally. They would have a team (defense really) full of these new guys who literally have been serious concerns on or off the field for their teams for years. Suh is a guy who is going to walk into that locker room and immediately think "Im the man, Im the best player here, and yall better acknowledge that". Hows that gonna bode well for their young stars like Donald or LMJ or Goff?

Wade Phillips right now:

tenor.gif?itemid=8717909

And not to mention their HC, despite being an incredible football mind, has zero evidence showing that he is someone who can build a team first, winning culture that The Pats and Eagles have.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. You're just too much. You're impossible to take seriously.

1 hour ago, BAConrad said:

The Rams made an insane leap from 2016 to 2017, in which they went from bottom 3 offense to top 3. Regression to the mean.

Logic? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. You don't even understand how regression to the mean works.

44 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Would you want to misbehave within arm's reach of Andrew Whitworth? ;)

On 2/15/2018 at 8:38 AM, 49erurtaza said:

Just wanted to start a thread about rumors that are going around to discuss while we wait for the offseason events to happen.

On 2/21/2018 at 5:26 AM, Bignutz said:

I heard that same thing!

what flavor huckleberry

Archived