Which Wide Receiver should we sign (2018)

Dashing202

5 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Now no sound like a homer but I would ask the bengals on the price for Green. He just turned 30 and the bengals have gotten worst every year. It'd benefit the bengals to start thinly rebuild mode .

they won't make the playoffs or a SB anytime soon.

giphy.gif

If we’re looking for a pure deep threat, Paul Richardson would be a fine choice. 

But I’m not really sure that’s what we need. Everyone looks at Tyreek Hill and sees all the speed and all the big plays and figures that we need a speedy deep threat type — but even Tyreek caught the vast majority of his passes near the LOS and did a lot of his damage after the catch. In fact, the Chiefs had 4 players in the top 35 in the league in yards after the catch last season: Hill (15th), Kelce (17th), Hunt (24th), and Wilson (35th).

As strange as it sounds, in this offense I think we’re really looking for another guy with slot receiver skills. We already have Doctson, who is more of a downfield target who doesn’t get open particularly quickly or scare people after the catch. Not sure we’re maximizing Smith’s skills (or Gruden’s offense) by bringing in another player who only stretches the field vertically. 

Landry would be an absolutely perfect fit. But as Woz said, I’m not sure I see us splashing at the top of the market like that. Definitely not Allen’s style, and it’s really not even Snyder’s style for the most part. He’d be the guy in this FA market to do it for, though. 

Two that I actually might give some strong consideration to are Emmanuel Sanders and Marqise Lee. Those are guys who have enough speed to threaten a defense vertically, but who really excel in smaller spaces and in separating quickly. And they’re both pretty dangerous after the catch.

Personally, I think that’s the “type” of skillset we should be looking for. But I do understand why folks would be partial to a pure speedster/deep threat out of the DJax mold instead. 

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

If we’re looking for a pure deep threat, Paul Richardson would be a fine choice. 

But I’m not really sure that’s what we need. Everyone looks at Tyreek Hill and sees all the speed and all the big plays and figures that we need a speedy deep threat type — but even Tyreek caught the vast majority of his passes near the LOS and did a lot of his damage after the catch. In fact, the Chiefs had 4 players in the top 35 in the league in yards after the catch last season: Hill (15th), Kelce (17th), Hunt (24th), and Wilson (35th).

As strange as it sounds, in this offense I think we’re really looking for another guy with slot receiver skills. We already have Doctson, who is more of a downfield target who doesn’t get open particularly quickly or scare people after the catch. Not sure we’re maximizing Smith’s skills (or Gruden’s offense) by bringing in another player who only stretches the field vertically. 

Landry would be an absolutely perfect fit. But as Woz said, I’m not sure I see us splashing at the top of the market like that. Definitely not Allen’s style, and it’s really not even Snyder’s style for the most part. He’d be the guy in this FA market to do it for, though. 

Two that I actually might give some strong consideration to are Emmanuel Sanders and Marqise Lee. Those are guys who have enough speed to threaten a defense vertically, but who really excel in smaller spaces and in separating quickly. And they’re both pretty dangerous after the catch.

Personally, I think that’s the “type” of skillset we should be looking for. But I do understand why folks would be partial to a pure speedster/deep threat out of the DJax mold instead. 

Agreed, we don't need a big speed threat . We need guys to can go in the middle and make some catches and endzone touchdowns .

if Crabtree avalible or Bryant I would love them because of how aggressive they are .

we need someone who can get us 7-9 touchdowns from a wideout .

12 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I'm not sure that its how they thrive as much as where they thrive that we need at WR.  We have Crowder and Chris Thompson who already roam the middle of the field.  We need a WR who can thrive outside of the hash marks in order to space out the offense.  I don't think Jarvis Landry is that guy.  

10 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Agreed, we don't need a big speed threat . We need guys to can go in the middle and make some catches and endzone touchdowns  .

When Cousins did that Q and A with Grant Paulsen back in January at that coffee shop, he was asked what this particular offense was missing. Particularly if he missed Garcon or DJax more. He went on the say that both were missed but he specifically said that missed a guy to spread the field. He pointed out how it didn’t need to be a big time player like Desean , although that helped. He mentioned Aldrick Robinson as a type of player they could have used. They just need to put someone out there that has the jets to outrun whoever they are matched up against. That’s why I’d like a Taylor Gabriel to sign cheap. John Brown would be a great choice too if his injury history wasn’t so scary. I wish I could find the transcript from that interview because it was clear to me that they really missed a deep threat. 

27 minutes ago, e16bball said:

As strange as it sounds, in this offense I think we’re really looking for another guy with slot receiver skills. 

Still looking for your DJ Hackett, huh E? ?

23 minutes ago, SeanTayorsaPIMP said:

Still looking for your DJ Hackett, huh E? ?

xDxDxD

That’s hilarious. I still think about DJ Hackett every once in a while. In those quiet, pensive moments of reflection and solitude. When I can really focus on lost love and the dreams that could have been. 

Actually not that long ago, I saw him on Family Feud. Kind of hard to explain to a group of “normal people” how I knew him xD

Definitely not Jarvis Landry. Have you seen him play? He strictly operates within the hashmarks, an area already occupied by guys like Crowder and Reed. I'm not even sure that we need a deep threat or "burner". Some of Doctson's best plays were down the field. I would think we need somebody to play the role Pierre Garcon had in Washington. A reliable veteran WR.

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Jarvis Landry, he’s the best all around receiver on this list. Some of these guys are possession guys, some are deep threats but Landry is the best of the bunch.

No. Landry is a possession guy. The team has enough possession receivers. You need someone who can get open deep.

Robinson is the best receiver in free agency.

4 hours ago, SeanTayorsaPIMP said:

When Cousins did that Q and A with Grant Paulsen back in January at that coffee shop, he was asked what this particular offense was missing. Particularly if he missed Garcon or DJax more. He went on the say that both were missed but he specifically said that missed a guy to spread the field. He pointed out how it didn’t need to be a big time player like Desean , although that helped. He mentioned Aldrick Robinson as a type of player they could have used. They just need to put someone out there that has the jets to outrun whoever they are matched up against. That’s why I’d like a Taylor Gabriel to sign cheap. John Brown would be a great choice too if his injury history wasn’t so scary. I wish I could find the transcript from that interview because it was clear to me that they really missed a deep threat. 

I think Gabriel's looking for a starting job. I will say this how ever that if we sign Watkins and draft Kirk than we would be solid .

I do like the Brown idea but I think redskins will go for a guy like Mike Wallace . He's a veteran that's gonna be cheap and he has speed and experience .

3 hours ago, Slateman said:

No. Landry is a possession guy. The team has enough possession receivers. You need someone who can get open deep.

Robinson is the best receiver in free agency.

We don't have consistent possession guys . We need guys who can get separations and makes plays after . Not saying Landry that guy or disagreeing with Robinson . But we don't really have a reliable catcher . 

4 hours ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

Definitely not Jarvis Landry. Have you seen him play? He strictly operates within the hashmarks, an area already occupied by guys like Crowder and Reed. I'm not even sure that we need a deep threat or "burner". Some of Doctson's best plays were down the field. I would think we need somebody to play the role Pierre Garcon had in Washington. A reliable veteran WR.

Agreed , I'm actually warming up to the idea of Mike Wallace . 

And Nelson if released .

Archived