Offseason Trade Targets

ashnathan

I just think it’s crazy to say cancel the season. Our secondary was absolutely  atrocious a few years back 

this is why I have a problem with articles saying “Could the patriots be interested in player X” because then everyone expects the signing to happen and then they ask wth is Belichick doing when it doesn’t. 

1 hour ago, Elky said:

I'd feel most comfortable if Rowe was primarily in the nickel and is only on the outside if it's the right match-up.

This is what is key with Rowe. His entire career in NE (sans SB52) has been match up based assignments. He's never really been the "nickel" mostly because he isnt great in the slot. It's why his snaps have been all over the place. Not sure the Patriots strategy needs to be "we need to find a new #2 CB, take our money" and more, "let's find one or two extremely versatile DB's or one or two guys who are also match up based". That way they can remain flexible with Rowe by putting guys in the #2 role when its a match up a Rowe would struggle with but others might not. 

18 hours ago, Spooky said:

that 1% is a rough one

Thought there was a good shot at getting Sherman after he was released, 49ers moved in quickly. I do like the Shelton trade tho. Fills a need and also got an additional draft pick this year

No way in hell he was getting that money from NE

3 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

They kinda ripped him off at the same time though. The only guaranteed money was his 3 mil signing bonus

It's very similar to the Revis contract from his time here. Wouldn't surprise me if he's a FA again next season.

People need to stop looking at the total contract # when these signings happen. Guaranteed money is what matters, people. The total contract really only just looks good for agents to pump their own tires.

Isn’t it only like 7m in guaranteed money? At least in the first year? Saw that he needed to play all 48 games, make the pro bowl every year and be an all pro every year just to reach the full contract. For a guy that’s turning 30 and coming off an Achilles injury it’ll be tough to reach the potential of that contract

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I believe you all know why I think the Patriots did a smart thing trading Brandin Cooks today.

I don’t think anyone’s complaining given the compensation. 

Nor do I think anyone is happy Cooks is leaving.

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I don’t think anyone’s complaining given the compensation. 

Nor do I think anyone is happy Cooks is leaving.

Oh, but I am very happy. I was upset originally when the trade was made but this makes up for it big time.

On 2/16/2018 at 8:23 PM, ashnathan said:

Crank up the Sherman rumours again, its in full swing. What are your trade targets that are somewhat realistic?

Names being thrown around are Sherman and Talib, out of those two id take Sherman if Seattle are willing to deal. I'd also keep an eye on Martavis Bryant, if hes still disgruntled with the Steelers he might be available and would be Cooks with height and reach.

As a side note, does anyone think Cooks could be traded this offseason?

On 2/16/2018 at 9:50 PM, DoleINGout said:

Cooks sucks (okay, not completely, but he is limited to the sideline comebacks and go routes a la Brandon Lloyd) and I would feel better knowing be isn't in the teams future plans. Quite honestly I'd be surprised if be is signed to an extention. Trade him? Yeah, get him out while you get a late first or more likely a second for him.

On 2/17/2018 at 12:53 AM, ashnathan said:

My thoughts too, as much as he says he loves it in Foxboro, money talks and I dont see him re-signing here so moving him for a good piece or picks may be a good option. But, maybe he is in the long term, and if Bill does hang it up after this year maybe the whole organisation when it comes to paying players etc will change with a new coach/GM

On 2/17/2018 at 8:10 PM, ashnathan said:

Just like to say, im not campaigning for a trade of Cooks, I just wondered, given the situation with his contract and the fact Bill won't pay him top dollar, and also the fact that his value would be quite high, I could see the possibility of him being traded. Im 50/50, his game would be dominant if he was remotely a vertical threat but he likes the ball falling to him, he doesnt like going up to get it. Saying that, I'd be more than happy to have him back, especially given Mitchell and Edelman will be ready to go, and hopefully Danny will be back, add into that Hogan not missing half the season, the offense will be number 1 in the league, book it. A lot of that hinges on Gronk too though.

I think as constructed the offense is more than capable of winning the superbowl, its the otherside of the ball that needs massive overhauling.

9 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

@mcmurtry86 @dhunt2402 @Deadpulse @IheartMyV8 @LD696 @CP3MVP @Yin-Yang @Elky

I believe you all know why I think the Patriots did a smart thing trading Brandin Cooks today.

Well I'm shocked they moved Cooks and I'll give you props for calling this, my overall point was I didn't think there really was a chance Belichick would flop a year of Cooks ( who they just traded a 1st round pick for) for a guy with questionable character like Cooper. I also (and still believe), they wouldn't move Cooks for 1st and replace him with a 1st round WR.

Belichick and Caserio got Cooks on 1-year deal ($1.5M rookie salary- roughly, going off memory here) for a 1st round pick. Essentially turned that into a 2-year, $10M deal. And now they've moved 1-year more year of Cooks for better value than they gave up. Cooks value went up; despite being a FA next year. That's something I could have never predicted.

The WR market is currently crazy. Just look at some of the deals FA WR's got this off-season. Crazy money. Cooks was never going to get that contract here and Belichick took advantage of a classic economics example of supply vs. demand. 

Posters who think BB the GM is garbage need to take notes on this trade (not referencing you @DoleINGout).

10 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

@mcmurtry86 @dhunt2402 @Deadpulse @IheartMyV8 @LD696 @CP3MVP @Yin-Yang @Elky

They got the 23rd pick in the draft.

People were talking about giving up a top 24 year old top 12 WR over the last 3 years making peanuts for a 2 which would be absurd.

1 minute ago, CP3MVP said:

They got the 23rd pick in the draft.

People were talking about giving up a top 24 year old top 12 WR over the last 3 years making peanuts for a 2 which would be absurd.

Not if that two was really high in my opinion.

Archived