Roquan Smith or Tremaine Edmunds?

AlNFL19

Roquan Smith or Tremaine Edmunds?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the better prospect?

• Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia
    • Tremaine Edmunds, ILB, Virginia Tech

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I love how people just ignore instincts and football IQ. Size over instincts!!

With Smith, show me where him not "shedding blocks well" has ever hurt him. He made 137 tackles, 14 TFL and 6.5 Sacks. Missed all of 10 tackles all season and was voted the nations best LB. Maybe someone should have blocked him? 

Agreed, people saying Smith cannot get off blocks is just ridiculous, cannot make plays in the A and B gap, bull****.  Like he is always running completely free and never gets blocked all game long.  Give me a freaking break, kid is an aggressive linebacker who can really tackle and hit with power.  Sure he is only 6-1 225, and kid plays and hits like he is 250+, if one did not know his weight how he looks on the field he is not small or thin out there by any means, to connect being some what light with not being able to get off blocks, come on...

Of course playing for a very good Georgia defense helps, especially in that Kirby system similar to Alabama when the ILBs can make a ton of plays, but Smith was by far the best player in a crazy talented front seven for Georgia.  

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Except blitz. Go watch the WSU game. He was blocked effortlessly most the game. Stonewalled try to blitz repeatedly.

I like LVE a lot. But having watched Smith for his entire career, your assessment is lacking. He will play WLB, in space and be a star. He's not without faults. He can get stuck on blocks. But his instincts and quickness find him winning angles on blockers more often. He beats them to the spot.

He can blitz. He doesn't have the technique down yet. But once he does, he can be a very effective blitzer. LVE isn't a finished product. 

My assessment of Roquan is spot on. The Rams need someone who can play downhill in the running game. We don't need a Will. That's why it seems like I'm not high on Roquan. He doesn't fit what the position we need to fill. If I were a team that needed a rangy Will who can make plays sideline to sideline, I'd be very interested in Roquan.

Shedding and attacking blocks is overstated. Smith is able to get to ball before block even gets to him. That’s freaking valuable. We’ve seen the game today where LBers are beating blocks rather than thumping downhill. And you can get better in that regard as I mentioned before. These aren’t finished prospects 

9 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Shedding and attacking blocks is overstated. Smith is able to get to ball before block even gets to him. That’s freaking valuable. We’ve seen the game today where LBers are beating blocks rather than thumping downhill. And you can get better in that regard as I mentioned before. These aren’t finished prospects 

Blanket statements like that are worthless if you're going to ignore scheme. 

22 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Not really, given we’ve seen LBers from different schemes flourish with said “limitation”.

Yes really. When a 3-4 teams needs a guy who can take on blockers, it doesn't make any sense to tell them, "Oh, stacking and shedding is overrated." Nobody is saying that Roquan won't be a successful NFL LB. The point being made is that he has a limitation that almost definitely won't change, and that will limit his value to certain teams.

47 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Couldn't agree more, completely overstated. Smith's instincts, movement skills to beat blockers is next level. He will better learn to use his hands at the next level as welll

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

He can blitz. He doesn't have the technique down yet.

Click the first for a cut up of his blitzing. Pick a game and watch. He has no idea how to blitz. No moves, etc. Either he wins with speed or he's stonewalled. 

Not a finished product, but to say he can blitz right now is a stretch.

17 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Click the first for a cut up of his blitzing. Pick a game and watch. He has no idea how to blitz. No moves, etc. Either he wins with speed or he's stonewalled. 

Not a finished product, but to say he can blitz right now is a stretch.

I've seen him leap over HBs trying to go for cut blocks, bullrush OLs back into the QB's face, and win with speed. He can blitz, and as he gets the technique down, he'll only get better at it.

29 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Couldn't agree more, completely overstated. Smith's instincts, movement skills to beat blockers is next level. He will better learn to use his hands at the next level as welll

The guy is never going to be effective at stacking or shedding blocks. If you are fine with that, draft him. If you are not okay with that for the role he'll play, don't. Just don't assume he's going to suddenly be able to do something in the NFL that he couldn't do in college due to his physical limitations.

42 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The guy is never going to be effective at stacking or shedding blocks. If you are fine with that, draft him. If you are not okay with that for the role he'll play, don't. Just don't assume he's going to suddenly be able to do something in the NFL that he couldn't do in college due to his physical limitations.

Yup. I doubt it happens, but he would be a good fit in Detroit with Jarrad Davis. Roquan Smith would be great in a role where he gets to play more in space, where he gets to attack the weakside on run plays, where he gets matched up more vs RB's than vs TE's so you don't have to worry about any size mismatches as much, where he doesn't have to be the taking on the OL or occasional FB as much, etc. 

Archived