Who are your top 5 prospects in the 2018 NFL Draft?

VanS

2 minutes ago, CalhounLambeau said:

He moves as well as anyone can expect a burly, thick 6'4" 330 guard to move. He lacks ideal quickness and movement but he makes up for it in so many other areas that it seems odd to downgrade him so much in one category where he isn't even below average.

I would disagree that he isn’t below average athletically. Wynn, Hernandez, Connor Williams(everyone says tackle but I don’t see it with his length), and Braden Smith all have way better movement skills. Which brings up another point. Most of the best NFL guards played tackle in college. He played next to a LT who is probably going 1st round so you can’t hold that against him. But we’re talking about a guard going top 5. If you’re a guard going top 5 I want Zach Martin movement skills 

1 minute ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I would disagree that he isn’t below average athletically. Wynn, Hernandez, Connor Williams(everyone says tackle but I don’t see it with his length), and Braden Smith all have way better movement skills. Which brings up another point. Most of the best NFL guards played tackle in college. He played next to a LT who is probably going 1st round so you can’t hold that against him. But we’re talking about a guard going top 5. If you’re a guard going top 5 I want Zach Martin movement skills 

Nobody is saying Quenton Nelson is an above-average athlete. So listing off a handful of examples doesn't prove a point that he's below average. You can find examples of better athletes every year. I watch tons of guards every year. There are so many bad athletes at that position in college its hard to watch. I can't fathom putting Nelson in that category. Nelson didn't just play with McGlinchey but he also spent three years with Ronnie Stanley. 

"Quenton Nelson moves laterally and in space with adequate fluidity." - Lance Zierlein

I agree with that guy who watches a ton of offensive lineman. 

But we're all allowed to have our own opinions. I've said my piece. 

1 hour ago, CalhounLambeau said:

Nobody is saying Quenton Nelson is an above-average athlete. So listing off a handful of examples doesn't prove a point that he's below average. You can find examples of better athletes every year. I watch tons of guards every year. There are so many bad athletes at that position in college its hard to watch. I can't fathom putting Nelson in that category. Nelson didn't just play with McGlinchey but he also spent three years with Ronnie Stanley. 

"Quenton Nelson moves laterally and in space with adequate fluidity." - Lance Zierlein

I agree with that guy who watches a ton of offensive lineman. 

But we're all allowed to have our own opinions. I've said my piece. 

Yeah he's not going to run under a 5.0 in the 40 yard dash, but he's athletic enough to play in any scheme and do anything you ask a guard to do. He won't be a liability in any facet of the game and will be well above average in multiple areas.

@DontTazeMeBro, you're going to be one of the only people on planet earth without Quenton Nelson in your top 5 prospects.

9 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

What? James Harrison is built like a brick poophouse. Okoronkwo is nowhere as thick and powerful. They're the same height and that's about it.

kzvBc5q.jpg]

Okoronkwo is virtually the same size as Harrison when he came into the league.

• 2 weeks later...

So now that the combine has passed, did anybody else change their top 5? 

I added Leighton Vander Esch and Minkah Fitzpatrick into the top 5.  I got onto Vander Esch late in this process and he shocked me with how good he was.  With Fitzpatrick, I forgot how good he was until I looked back over his tape.  He's the clear #1 CB in this draft.

On 2/24/2018 at 2:52 PM, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah he's not going to run under a 5.0 in the 40 yard dash, but he's athletic enough to play in any scheme and do anything you ask a guard to do. He won't be a liability in any facet of the game and will be well above average in multiple areas.

@DontTazeMeBro, you're going to be one of the only people on planet earth without Quenton Nelson in your top 5 prospects.

Just to add to this...top 5 prospects does not mean they will be taken in the top 5 of the draft.  Nelson is a very good prospect that will be taken in the teens because he is a guard.  Josh Allen will not be on a lot of lists but he will go in the top 2 picks because he is a QB.

8 hours ago, jebrick said:

Just to add to this...top 5 prospects does not mean they will be taken in the top 5 of the draft.  Nelson is a very good prospect that will be taken in the teens because he is a guard.  Josh Allen will not be on a lot of lists but he will go in the top 2 picks because he is a QB.

Boy I don't think Allen goes before Darnold or Rosen. I'd be shocked if he did despite the arm talent. I know NFL GM's are probably enamored with his arm and raw talent, but I still can't imagine teams going with Allen over the significantly more polished Rosen and Darnold. And Rosen/Darnold both have excellent upside in addition to being safer.

12 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Boy I don't think Allen goes before Darnold or Rosen. I'd be shocked if he did despite the arm talent. I know NFL GM's are probably enamored with his arm and raw talent, but I still can't imagine teams going with Allen over the significantly more polished Rosen and Darnold. And Rosen/Darnold both have excellent upside in addition to being safer.

I think Allen definitely goes before Rosen.  And I think you're selling Allen short if you think the only thing he has going for him is arm talent.  He's also the most athletic QB in this draft outside of Lamar Jackson.  The combination of mobility and arm talent is better than Carson Wentz (who was the leading candidate for MVP last year before he got hurt).  Plus Allen's film has more insane throws in it than just about any QB I've seen in the last 10-15 years.

Josh Allen has a lot going for him.  Wouldn't surprise me if he went #1 overall.  I think its down to him and Darnold when it comes to QBs.  Josh Rosen is on the next tier below.

Archived