Draft Discussion 3.0

NudeTayne

2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Eh, he's alright, I'd rather take a talented developmental guy which this is a good year for (Nathan Shepherd, PJ Hall, Andrew Brown, James Looney), we are already in good shape at that position and I honestly have my eye on next year which looks like an all time year for DT (Ed Oliver, Dexter Lawrence, Rashan Gary, Christian Wilkins,Jeffrey Simmons, Raekwon Davis, Dre'Mont Jones and Terry Beckner Jr all are studs). I would be so upset if we draft Bryan and he is just ok and we have to pass on one of these legit studs (and this only if Ogunjobi and Brantley aren't studs) because we took Bryan in the 2nd and have to play him because we took him so high. 

* I have Gary as a 3 tech

I just got done last week watching 3 games each of next year's DT crop... I have to say some of their games were somewhat underwhelming and I was surprised to find that my opinions differed on who was at the top of that class.

To me, in terms of 43 DTs it's clearly 1  Raekwon Davis - by a mile, 2a. Rashan Gary (although he's more of DE), 2b. Ed Oliver, 3a. Jeffrey Simmons, 3b. Derrick Brown, 4. Chrisitain Wilkins, 5. Dre'Mont Jones

Davis' tape is otherworldy at times...because of his size everyone's going to wan to put him on the outside or make him a 34 DE...forget all that...put him where he can cause havoc from the inside...special player

In terms of 34 NTs/DEs it's 1. Dexter Lawrence (34NT/DE, 2. Terry Beckner Jr (34DE)

Lawrence to me will be a 34 Nose Tackle or 34 DE as he's one of the slowest, build up athletes at DT, but his punch, hand fighting, and unbelievable ability to not be moved in the run makes me believe he's going to be an immediate pro-bowl NT for the Patriots, Steelers or some 34 team that he falls to because his athletic testing is going to be terrible.

@MSURacerDT55

You have a great eye for DT ability... man you got to check this guy out if you have time...

His film gets crazy... like top 20 player and sometimes top 10 player crazy... there are full games// cutups of him online...

3 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Heard we brought Julian Temple DT from Baylor in on a visit....

He's had knee injuries in back to back years (Meniscus; then ACL) that caused him to miss almost the entirety of 2 whole seasons before being healthy his final redshirt senior year.

That said, a player like this has Top-20 talent. Unbelievable agility, power, hand usage, instincts, and quickness off the ball.

He's now a favorite of mine after watching 3 games. If anyone has a link to more games let me know...

I mean....just look at this dude play the game.

I'd use our Eagles 2nd round pick on him at 65...that's how much I believe in his ability. The injury concerns will likely push him to the 3rd or 4th round.

If he can stay healthy...which is a big IF.... he'll be one of the top DTs in the league within 2 years.

@Mind Character It honestly leaves me taken aback how certain you are of Mayfield being the pick. Don't get me wrong, I'd be ecstatic if it was him over Allen, but I find this so hard to believe. Yes, we know the Browns are impressed by him, but not only has there been NO smoke surrounding the potential of his coming here, he's been ruled out by every trustworthy analyst around. I know it is still plausible. But, with the past concussions, and his size...at #1 OVERALL, I can't buy it. That is just crazy talk to me. Has an undersized QB ever gone #1? I'm not saying it will hurt his NFL career, but this league is a good ol boys network full of conservative minds. I feel like that hurts Rosen's stock, but it should also affect Mayfield as the top pick.

That being said, Darnold is my guy. I think Turnovers are something that can easily be corrected, and we know he's worked tirelessly on doing so.

Wanted to share an interesting tidbit from CBD today...Anita Marks of ESPN New York said all indications within the NYG front office point to the franchise sticking with Davis Webb as their QB of the future. Referenced a coach telling her that Webb's ability to gameplan is unparalleled and the Giants want to move forward with Webb. In which case, that means either Chubb/Barkley/Nelson will be the pick unless New York trades down.

Someone reported that the blueprints for a NYG/BUF trade are already in place as well.

Another interesting tidbit 

We haven’t had any priviate workouts or meeting with Saquon or Chubb so far 

gotta think we’re planning on trading down from 4 

Dorsey knows he won’t get this type of return on on a trade often 

either Miami AZ or Buffalo is going to want to move up to get that 3rd or 4th QB especially if it’s Rosen

if Rosen is still there at 4 we should be able to get the world 

5 minutes ago, brownie man said:

either Miami AZ or Buffalo is going to want to move up to get that 3rd or 4th QB especially if it’s Rosen

Not necessarily. Few teams ONLY draft the players they've hosted for visits. Don't forget, there's also pro days and the combine to interview each prospect. Both Chubb and Barkley are as clean as they come. With only 30 visits permitted, it's reasonable to believe they wanted to use those visits on prospects they felt more on the fence about. 

Yes, it's interesting, but no, it shouldn't be surprising IMO

7 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Chargers weren’t connected to Bosa. 

Chubb may be written off with his bad 3 cone. Barkley could be written off by his position. 

Or they could both be on the cards 

3 hours ago, Mind Character said:

@MSURacerDT55

You have a great eye for DT ability... man you got to check this guy out if you have time...

His film gets crazy... like top 20 player and sometimes top 10 player crazy... there are full games// cutups of him online...

So look, I saw a few Temple games and didn't notice him, I just remember #9 but from what I see he moves the needle for me, first off very physical, plays really well with his hands, understands blocking schemes well. He could easily make a niche in the league as a two down starter at 5 tech or 1 tech, I just have questions about his pass rush skills, he does have some pop out of his stance and plays well with his hands so being a 3 tech isn't out of the picture for him. I definitely like the guy though, good find.

26 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

@Mind Character It honestly leaves me taken aback how certain you are of Mayfield being the pick. Don't get me wrong, I'd be ecstatic if it was him over Allen, but I find this so hard to believe. Yes, we know the Browns are impressed by him, but not only has there been NO smoke surrounding the potential of his coming here, he's been ruled out by every trustworthy analyst around. I know it is still plausible. But, with the past concussions, and his size...at #1 OVERALL, I can't buy it. That is just crazy talk to me. Has an undersized QB ever gone #1? I'm not saying it will hurt his NFL career, but this league is a good ol boys network full of conservative minds. I feel like that hurts Rosen's stock, but it should also affect Mayfield as the top pick.

That being said, Darnold is my guy. I think Turnovers are something that can easily be corrected, and we know he's worked tirelessly on doing so.

I used to be like you... you sad sap... Baker Mayfield will be your new QB... the sooner you accept it the better off you'll be....

I believe this because of the combination of information I've gained via public streams of info as well as private knowledge shared from having family that have been in the professional football business for years.

Let's talk the public first:

You see this guy sitting next to John Dorsey as his right hand man:

That guy widely known in the Twitter Draftnik Universe and online sports community as a "super scout" or "having some of the best scouting instincts in the league" (Scot McCloughan) is John Dorsey's close friend, scouting advisor, and according to people in real league circles is a de-facto number 2 in the FO in Cleveland and not some "consultant" as has been reported before.

That guy believes that Baker Mayfield is the clear number #1 QB, "just like Brett Favre," and "I'd take him in a heartbeat before all these guys at number 1."

Now, let's talk about some real reasons... what was John Dorsey doing while he was fired? Well, again around the league most people think Dorsey made Oklahoma his second home and according to athletic managerial staff at Oklahoma, John Dorsey met with Baker 1-on-1 each time, and also stayed at a OU boosters unoccupied house instead of a hotel after the first few visits. Dorsey said he's seen him 6 times, but what Peter King didn't report was that those 6 times were actually every home game of Baker Mayfield's final season. So, every home game Dorsey watched Baker in person. Dorsey has admitted he didn't see any of Darnold's games in person... this year, but watched from afar via film.

The key predictor of Dorsey's QB decisions and affinity is what the QBs do via XO's on the white board and understanding of the game. If the top QB at that aspect of QB evaluation also has the physical skill set, accuracy, leader of men, can extend the play characteristics Dorsey covets...that player becomes the top QB on Dorsey's board. Dorsey let that cat out the bag last year when talking about Patrick Mahomes and that he was the top guy on XO's.

Every opportunity Dorsey has to talk about Baker he's talking about his football intelligence and XO's, (https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/browns/browns-gm-john-dorsey-says-he-has-clarity-of-thought-after-spending-last-week-with-the-four-top-rated-quarterbacks-in-draft)

“I thought he had a really good workout,” Dorsey said. “I thought he had a really good conversation with the group that night. I thought he did really well on the X’s and O’s.”

Mayfield is a polarizing prospect because some question his attitude and character, but Dorsey has defended him throughout this offseason.

“I think he’s very competitive on the football field,” Dorsey said. “I think his teammates absolutely love him. I think everybody in the support organization of Oklahoma loves him. I think he’s got a degree of humility in his person.”

(http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/01/browns_john_dorsey_says_baker.html)

He told 92.3 The Fan's Dustin Fox on Thursday that he learned "when (Mayfield) first got to Oklahoma, his teammates (said) early in the summer, he had digested the playbook and understood it within two days. And then the love and conviction that his teammates have for him, you can see that.

-----------

Here's what hasn't been reported yet but I've heard from family.

1. The Oklahoma staff firmly believes that Baker is John Dorsey's guy... and that he's been so all along specifically because Dorsey called the coaches and private manager of Mayfield and told him to keep his head down and stay out of trouble more than once.

2. Supposedly, The O-Coaches & Eliot Wolf (Haley, Zampese, and Hue) wanted Rosen but now it's Darnold after private meetings and neurological assessments of Rosen... meanwhile the key Personnel group (Dorsey, Highsmith, McCloughan) all are full on Team Mayfield...

For how I know this and generally how stuff like this can leak out of an organization and if you want to waste valuable time in your life see the following thread's OP:

26 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

So look, I saw a few Temple games and didn't notice him, I just remember #9 but from what I see he moves the needle for me, first off very physical, plays really well with his hands, understands blocking schemes well. He could easily make a niche in the league as a two down starter at 5 tech or 1 tech, I just have questions about his pass rush skills, he does have some pop out of his stance and plays well with his hands so being a 3 tech isn't out of the picture for him. I definitely like the guy though, good find.

Fair enough. There's tons of questions about him beyond his health especially in terms of pass rush and sustained impact.. when he's on he's on though...

Good stuff.

Imagine deciding to draft a guy #1 overall and feeling the need to tell him to stay out of trouble multiple times.

Doesn’t really add up. Then you add that he is supposed to have watched Mayfield home games all season and none of Darnold and that his mind was already made up? Eh I don’t know.

I guess it’s plausible but if so, it’s just very dumb decision making going on in that FO. 

At this point, these last few weeks are going really slow for me. Feel like I need to take a step back and disappear for a bit because the more I read all these theories and ‘inside info’, the more certain I am that the Browns are going to make a terrible mistake on April 26th.

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Imagine deciding to draft a guy #1 overall and feeling the need to tell him to stay out of trouble multiple times.

Doesn’t really add up. Then you add that he is supposed to have watched Mayfield home games all season and none of Darnold and that his mind was already made up? Eh I don’t know.

I guess it’s plausible but if so, it’s just very dumb decision making going on in that FO. 

At this point, these last few weeks are going really slow for me. Feel like I need to take a step back and disappear for a bit because the more I read all these theories and ‘inside info’, the more certain I am that the Browns are going to make a terrible mistake on April 26th.

I am with you.

I have this sinking feeling, like: 

Archived