Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

Draft well at the important positions and signing or trading for proven players at positions that typically take longer to develop. 

So draft QB,OL,PR,RB

sign CB,WR,S,TE,RB

thats my guess. seems like RB can go either way you can Draft the top guy (Jags) or build a commitee backfield.(Eagles)

2 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

I’m talking before the draft even starts I want tht lineup. Adding Barkley and Darnold or Mayfield would be cake 

For sure. I'm just fantasizing about that lineup. Pick 5 of 

Josh Gordon
Allen Robinson
Jarvis Landry
Corey Coleman

David Njoku

Saquon Barkley
Duke Johnson 

Honestly disgusting

The core impact players on both Philadelphia and Jacksonville were still drafted by each club. It still remains true that you supplement with free agency and build through the draft.

Anywhoo the reason I logged on; Legal tampering period begins today. We could start to hear news of where some of these guys will land. Hoping Kirk Cousins takes his time decided keeping Denver, Minnesota, New York, Arizona out of the running for other free agents we may like.

3 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

The core impact players on both Philadelphia and Jacksonville were still drafted by each club. It still remains true that you supplement with free agency and build through the draft.

Anywhoo the reason I logged on; Legal tampering period begins today. We could start to hear news of where some of these guys will land. Hoping Kirk Cousins takes his time decided keeping Denver, Minnesota, New York, Arizona out of the running for other free agents we may like.

philadelphia whaaat?

legarrette blount
jay ajayi
alshon jeffery
torrey smith

all signed in FA or traded for

4 minutes ago, mistakey said:

philadelphia whaaat?

legarrette blount
jay ajayi
alshon jeffery
torrey smith

all signed in FA or traded for

Alshon Jeffrey is literally the only impact player they have signed. They have signed a bunch of role players and it has been over the coarse of several years. Most of the team that just won the super bowl was on the team when Chip Kelly was still there.

Almost the entire defensive line was drafted aside from Long who again was a cheap role player. Lane Johnson, Jason Kelce and Halapoulivaati all drafted. Zach Ertz and Brett Celek drafted. Nelson Agholor and Corey Clement who both played huge roles in the playoffs and SB were drafted.Mack Collins and Trey Burton drafted.

Another point you just mentioned was "traded for". You are very correct but most of if not all of those trades came cheap. They draft compensation was mid-late rounders and the player salary wasn't a concern. 

You can argue the smallest of meaningless details all you want but the big picture remains the same. The best teams, including the two mentioned about, build through the draft and supplement via free agency. The main focus of your core players has got to come from the draft or you will be cap strapped every year.

I am by no means against signing free agents or trading for veterans at all. I hope we sign at least half dozen more proven players and trade another mid round pick for a quality starter before the draft even gets here but if we don't hit on draft picks it will never work.

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’d like to sign a vet pass rusher. Ogbah and Garrett have injury concerns and I don’t trust nassib. Would be nice for those guys to have a vet mentor them. Maybe someone like Elvis dumervile on the cheap. 

In more of the same style. I would love to bring back Ben Watson for Njoku and DeValve

29 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Alshon Jeffrey is literally the only impact player they have signed. They have signed a bunch of role players and it has been over the coarse of several years. Most of the team that just won the super bowl was on the team when Chip Kelly was still there.

Almost the entire defensive line was drafted aside from Long who again was a cheap role player. Lane Johnson, Jason Kelce and Halapoulivaati all drafted. Zach Ertz and Brett Celek drafted. Nelson Agholor and Corey Clement who both played huge roles in the playoffs and SB were drafted.Mack Collins and Trey Burton drafted.

Another point you just mentioned was "traded for". You are very correct but most of if not all of those trades came cheap. They draft compensation was mid-late rounders and the player salary wasn't a concern. 

You can argue the smallest of meaningless details all you want but the big picture remains the same. The best teams, including the two mentioned about, build through the draft and supplement via free agency. The main focus of your core players has got to come from the draft or you will be cap strapped every year.

I am by no means against signing free agents or trading for veterans at all. I hope we sign at least half dozen more proven players and trade another mid round pick for a quality starter before the draft even gets here but if we don't hit on draft picks it will never work.

dude their top 2 wr and top 2 rb werent drafted by them.  if thats not a contradiction of all their impact players were drafted, i dont really know what is.  

16 minutes ago, mistakey said:

dude their top 2 wr and top 2 rb werent drafted by them.  if thats not a contradiction of all their impact players were drafted, i dont really know what is.  

The above is true, but the true strength of that team was in the QB and the line play on both sides. The LTs that played and the C, and on the defensive line, Cox and pass rushers in Graham, Barnett and Curry. They were a good blend though, supplemented well through FA. Brooks and Wiz on the o-line, Jernigan and Long on the d-line.

Getting the blend right is the key.

Archived