Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

So the Chiefs just threw down 25 million on two players. I know they released a lot of guys to clear cap but it couldn't have been that much space. Philadelphia is still 10  million over the cap and Miami only has 1 million. There is no way that is even enough to sign draft picks.

Is there really even such thing as a salary cap anymore?

1 minute ago, TheeRealDeal said:

So the Chiefs just threw down 25 million on two players. I know they released a lot of guys to clear cap but it couldn't have been that much space. Philadelphia is still 10  million over the cap and Miami only has 1 million. There is no way that is even enough to sign draft picks.

It’s why I tell people to stop bitching about throwing money out to guys. Teams find ways to clear up salary cap. They’re a lot smarter than us when it comes to money.

4 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

@BenVolin

Source says Browns are making a big run at Nate Solder to replace Joe Thomas at left tackle. Patriots are going to have some stiff competition. Browns have a ton of money to play with

Typical John Dorsey type of move. Dude is going to be 30 before the season. He's hardly a great LT and decline is soon to set in. I would prefer to draft a replacement.

Hali, Johnson and Parker save them like 15 million, trading Alex Smith another 15 ish.

Miami will cut Suh, which should save them a lot.

2 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Typical John Dorsey type of move. Dude is going to be 30 before the season. He's hardly a great LT and decline is soon to set in. I would prefer to draft a replacement.

If Thomas is retiring I’m all about paying Solder.

He’s a quality starter and we can draft his long term replacement next year or the year after.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If Thomas is retiring I’m all about paying Solder.

He’s a quality starter and we can draft his long term replacement next year or the year after.

Replacement had better be drafted soon or its a bad move. If Joe Thomas wants to continue playing then it is a bad move.

Just now, TheeRealDeal said:

Replacement had better be drafted soon or its a bad move. If Joe Thomas wants to continue playing then it is a bad move.

Is it ? He’s an upgrade over Coleman and he’ll be jts replacement next year. 

I agree, but this isn’t the best year to need a tackle.

IF Thomas isn’t returning, there’s a huge hole at LT and we have plenty of cap space, especially since Thomas makes 13.5 million this season. Hell, pay Solder that and we’re no worse for the wear cap wise.

Just now, Aztec Hammer said:

I doubt we are going to sign Solder.

I follow the Pats only less than the Browns and Solder loves Boston. His family situation is delicate and apparently he would be willing to take $8m less over a four year deal to stay with the Pats.

Damn, that’s a lot of money....

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Damn, that’s a lot of money....

I may have got the figure wrong. But the overall premise applies I think. He doesn’t want to move his family and there’s a hometown discount thing going on. They also win all the time and Brady loves him.

I can’t see it personally.

Archived