Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

1 minute ago, NudeTayne said:

Doesn't that mean that his cap in year 2 and or 3 will be super high? Now I'm curious about how the Kirk Cousins contract will be. I wonder if it will be the same as Alex's, or if Alex is rob Peter to pay Paul. It would be kind of ironically funny if Alex Smith's second and third years of his contract we're essentially 28 million apiece like Kirk's.

No, this is the last year if his current deal.  The contract he signed in Washington was an extension.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/alex-smith-3337/

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

No, this is the last year if his current deal.  The contract he signed in Washington was an extension.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/alex-smith-3337/

That deal looks a bit more Savvy now. It's essentially 110 over 5 years With way less guaranteed. I could see them being able to get out after year 3 without too much damage. The same can be said with Kirk Cousins's contract, though. Smith will essentially be making 21 to 22 million for the next 3 years. I'm still not sure I wouldn't take Cousins over that, especially because of the draft pick that went to grab Smith. That said, I do understand that apparently Cousins was not going to sign in Washington no matter what. What a strange situation that was.

4 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Just give me Bashaud Breeland or EJ Gaines and I will be happy heading into the draft. We’d have our secondary settled for next year and not have to draft a guy high.

How are you coming out with that from who we have already on the roster? I do not see a clear number one or number two cornerback on our team. I have hope Howard Wilson will bounce back but he was a fourth-round rookie and he got injured very bad. Neither EJ Gaines nor Bashaud Breeland have shown enough to be declared as a CB one. I would still grab a corner high in the draft even if we get one of them, maybe even two corners. That is our main spot of deficiency. We have a lot of draft picks and might as well get deep at our positions of weakness in a deep secondary draft.

5 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

That deal looks a bit more Savvy now. It's essentially 110 over 5 years With way less guaranteed. I could see them being able to get out after year 3 without too much damage. The same can be said with Kirk Cousins's contract, though. Smith will essentially be making 21 to 22 million for the next 3 years. I'm still not sure I wouldn't take Cousins over that, especially because of the draft pick that went to grab Smith. That said, I do understand that apparently Cousins was not going to sign in Washington no matter what. What a strange situation that was.

Yeah it was.

Washington seemed to have a number in mind that he was worth and wasn’t going to go beyond that. Cousins knew his market value and wanted to play for a winner.

It seems to have worked out well for all parties, at least as of now.

1 hour ago, bosko1616 said:

I really want that trade down with the Bills. 

12.22.53.65 and future 2 and 4 

sign Trumaine Johnson,Carlos Hyde, and Terrelle Pryor 

1. Sam Darnold QB 

12. Marcus Davenport DE 

trade up to 18 using 22 and 4 and 6 

18. Josh Jackson CB 

33. Darius Guice RB

35. Taven Bryan UT 

53. Brian Oniel T

64. Anthony Miller WR 

65. Jerome Baker WLB 

Not bad, not bad at all

2 hours ago, CBrownsman said:

How good is Breeland?  My understanding was as far as true #1 CBs, Johnson, Butler, Fuller, Gaines were all above him.

We need all the help we can get, I'm just curious what people have seen?

He is solid. I looked at his stats. 40-50 tackles 15-20 pass deflections. Shouldn't be a 12 million a year signing. Kind of like how Pryor is for the WRs this year. We could pick both of them up, not spend 25-30 million, and address CB and WR in the 2nd maybe 3rd round this year again. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Breeland is a solid #2 cornerback, nothing more. That being said, we are in the market for a solid #1 cornerback. He is below a bunch of other cornerbacks, but he's younger and cheaper. I'd be fine with signing him, so long as we realize he's not a #1. Plus Breeland fits our zone scheme. He seems like a great fit for what we do here honestly. I'm guessing he would be the emergency backup plan to a failed Trumaine Johnson signing.

33 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

How are you coming out with that from who we have already on the roster? I do not see a clear number one or number two cornerback on our team. I have hope Howard Wilson will bounce back but he was a fourth-round rookie and he got injured very bad. Neither EJ Gaines nor Bashaud Breeland have shown enough to be declared as a CB one. I would still grab a corner high in the draft even if we get one of them, maybe even two corners. That is our main spot of deficiency. We have a lot of draft picks and might as well get deep at our positions of weakness in a deep secondary draft.

Does a #1 CB have to be a top 10 player to you?

8 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Does a #1 CB have to be a top 10 player to you?

By definition a number 1 CB has to be give or take a top-32 CB. There is no reason or evidence to believe that Breland is this. I'd be good to target him as a number two, though.

Sign Breeland and draft Ward. Secondary goes from crap to potentially scary. 

I would love to see Calloun playing full time slot and McCourty being the first guy in for Breeland or Ward when they need a break

Archived