38.Casey Donahew-Bad Guy
37.Cody Jinks-Never Alone Always Lonely
36.Kolby Cooper-Tom Petty
35.Yola-Lonely The Night
34.Aaron Watson-Country Radio
33.Shane Smith & The Saints-Heaven Knows
32.Miranda Lambert-Tequila Does
31.Midland-21st Century Honky Tonk Band

-I wasnt able to get the new Wade Hayes album on the list. It was released in December. Ive given it a couple of listens and its pretty good. He still sings his brand of old school country, and Who Saved Who is easily the best song.

30.Hootie & The Blowfish-Miss California
29.Kolby Cooper-Diamond Rings & Cocaine
28.Sturgill Simpson-Remember To Breathe
27.Sturgill Simpson-A Good Look
26.The Highwomen-If She Ever Leaves Me
25.Ian Noe-Meth Head
24.Cody Jinks-It Dont Rain in California
23.Koe Wetzel-Powerball
22.Casey Donahew w/Alissa Griffith-One Light Town
21.Aaron Watson-Ghost of Guy Clark

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2020 at 8:34 AM, Fl0nkerton said:

Not trying to de-rail the top 100, but I caught a Ruston Kelly show over the weekend and he said his 2nd album is done and is out in July.

I was supposed to go to his Ryman show at the beginning of the month, but that didnt happen. I cant wait. He's an artist that you really dont know what type of sound he is going to come out with next.

So, I lost the last of my list. Thats why I never finished, but since I have a lot of time on my hands at home now, I re-did it and now here are the last 20 songs.

20.Hardy w/Thomas Rhett-Nothin Out Here
19.Randy Rogers Band-Comal County Line
18.Vince Gill-When My Amy Prays
17.Jade Jackson-Secret
16.Hunter Hayes-Dear God
15.Miranda Lambert-Dark Bars
14.Jon Pardi-Starlight
13.Yola-Ride Out in The Country
12.Miranda Lambert-How Dare You Love
11.Randy Houser-No Stone Unturned

So many good songs here. Starlight became one of my absolute favorite Pardi songs after hearing him perform it live at his show at the Ryman last fall. Ride Out in The Country is the type of music that I wish I could make. That classic country sound layered with a sexy, almost countrypolitan, sound over top. I cant believe Hunter Hayes put out a song as good as Dear God. Man, these are good songs.

10.Jon Pardi-Aint Always The Cowboy
9.Steel Blossoms-Revenge
8.Charles Wesley Godwin-Hardwood Floors
7.The Highwomen-Cocktail And A Song
6.Koe Wetzel-Ragweed

Ragweed is probably my second most listened to song in 2019. On the surface, is about a couple coming together through sex, drugs, and of course how much they miss the band Cross Canadian Ragweed. It fully shows the stupidity of young lust, and I really think its the Breakfast at Tiffany's for 2019.

5.Randy Rogers Band-Wine in a Coffee Cup
4.Koe Wetzel-Forever
3.Yola-Faraway Look
2.Cody Jinks-William and Wanda
1.George Strait-God and Country Music

I have highlighted all these songs previously in my year end list. To me, they are the very best of country in 2019, which is saying a lot. This might have been the best year for country music this decade, and I expect things to get better in the next decade to come with all the talented artists making music all over the country and not just in Nashville.

Now lets get to whats going on in country music now.......Unfortunately, I really dont have much to talk about that I really like. I think this is going to be a good year for country music, but the first three months have been slow.

• Brandy Clark-Your Life is a Record, Caitlyn Smith-Supernova, Gabe Lee-Honky Tonk Hell, The Steeldrivers-Bad For You. I havent given these albums a listen to yet, but I love what little Ive heard from Clark and reviews are great. Im less enthuses after reading some reviews of Supernova from Smith, and I have no expectations from the other two.

• Brett Kissel, huge in Canada, put out a new album. Ive given it a full listen and a half and its definitely not for me. Im really less of a fan of whats coming out of Canada than Nashville when it pertains to country music.
  • The Album Part 1 is apparently part of a larger work by Chase Rice. Crap.
  • Tullahoma from Dustin Lynch is him doubling down on beats and snap tracks and singing about dirt roads and trucks as much as possible
  • Marcus King is a part of the Marcus King Band. He put out a solo album, and its just bad, and I enjoy some of the songs from the band

• Aubrie Sellers just released her second album, and I need more listens, but its probably top ten worthy for 2020.
  • Ingrid Andress released her first album yesterday. Ive listened to it three times. Its definitely more Adele and Halsey sounding but the writing is excellent and still very country styled, and I love hearing Andress play the piano.
  • Kelsea Ballerini's new self titled album is pop. I dont hear much after two listens.
  • Rachel Reinert used to be in the group Gloriana. I loved them. She has a new album, and Im still working my way through it. I think Ill end up liking it. Not loving it.

• The Panhandlers is the Texas Country super group formed late last year, and their debut album is pretty good. Writing seems strong and I really love hearing Baumann and Green on the album, but I havent been going back and listening as much as I thought I would.
  • The Cadillac Three are one of my absolute favorite bands. Ive seen them live 11 times. Their new album is redundant and is nothing but party songs.
  • I have listened to the new album from Little Big Town once, and it really intrigued me. The sound is that sleek 70s sound that has been creeping into country music the past couple years.
  • The Lone Bellow is a band that I loved then dropped and now I like again. Fourth album is very solid and more upbeat, and I really like that aspect of it.

On 3/28/2020 at 12:33 PM, devils1854 said:

Brett Kissel, huge in Canada, put out a new album. Ive given it a full listen and a half and its definitely not for me. Im really less of a fan of whats coming out of Canada than Nashville when it pertains to country music

I've been leaning a lot to Canadian country lately for some reason.  Here was one with Blackjack Billy (Nashville) and Tim Hicks (Canadian)

Edited by Pickle Rick
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2018 at 10:47 PM, devils1854 said:

Josh-Abbott-Band-Until-My-Voice-Goes-Out

71/100

The Josh Abbott Band is one of my favorite artists in country music today. The band has earned the right to do whatever they want with their music, and on their new album, they are experimenting with a horn section on almost every song. Even though its a new sound, the album has a feel that is too familiar to older music.

Best Song- Girl Down in Texas

On 3/28/2020 at 12:33 PM, devils1854 said:

The Panhandlers is the Texas Country super group formed late last year, and their debut album is pretty good. Writing seems strong and I really love hearing Baumann and Green on the album, but I havent been going back and listening as much as I thought I would

Love the idea they were going for. I mainly only knew Josh Abbott of the super group and some of Green. I liked No Handle the best of the songs I remembered listening to from what they put out. I think it was a good first attempt and it will get better in time

One of my favorites, is Josh Abbott Band's album: Until My Voice Goes Out. Really great album top to bottom with a very unique tone and music style from what is out there for the most part. Sounds like they will not go back to that style due to the lack of fanfare from Texas Country music fans, but it is one of my favorites by far. It's what I would call big band country music due to the horns, strings, and sax. They blend the big band music with the Texas Country flavor and mix in a few different styles as well.

I absolutely love:

The Night is Ours

Heartbeatin'

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

I'm Your Only Flaw

I wish they went back to this style, even if it's only on a song every know and then. It is so freaking good imo. 

On 4/1/2020 at 12:19 AM, Pickle Rick said:

I've been leaning a lot to Canadian country lately for some reason.  Here was one with Blackjack Billy (Nashville) and Tim Hicks (Canadian)

I cant stop playing this song xD. Such an amazing song!!!

The appeal with Canadian Country and even Country from places like Ireland, comes from the time delay in the style. Most are still in the 90s and early 2000s which was the best time for country music imo.

• Like 1