diamondbull424

The Offseason target  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you most prefer?

• Dez Bryant
    • Jordy Nelson
    • Jimmy Graham
    • Sammy Watkins

This is the first time since billick got fired that I have zero optimism about our teams upcoming season... I see a lot of teams getting stronger and us on a treadmill running in place not getting no better but not really getting no worse

27 minutes ago, EastsideEZ said:

This is the first time since billick got fired that I have zero optimism about our teams upcoming season... I see a lot of teams getting stronger and us on a treadmill running in place not getting no better but not really getting no worse

Too early to say this for sure. Free agency hasn’t even started yet.

I think where we will be most active is come draft day. I expect to see the Ravens wheeling and dealing to secure more picks and take impact players.

One other good thing is that besides Jensen, we’re not really getting worse. We have the same team as last year and should just be adding healthy bodies, second year players stepping up, and hopefully another talented rookie class.

40 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Too early to say this for sure. Free agency hasn’t even started yet.

I think where we will be most active is come draft day. I expect to see the Ravens wheeling and dealing to secure more picks and take impact players.

One other good thing is that besides Jensen, we’re not really getting worse. We have the same team as last year and should just be adding healthy bodies, second year players stepping up, and hopefully another talented rookie class.

And that team is now one year older on an already aging roster when it comes to key contributors. Expecting us to secure major holes for the upcoming season with rookies kind of goes against everything in our recent history, yeah?

5 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

:ph34r:

I forgot ARob is probably only going for a 1 year prove it deal like Alshon Jeffery did last season.

If he has a big year, then sign a big time extension or test free agency.

With that being the case, we might have a shot at him.

If the talks with ARob really heat up, I could see us releasing Carr to clear space.

Just now, diamondbull424 said:

I forgot ARob is probably only going for a 1 year prove it deal like Alshon Jeffery did last season.

If the talks with ARob really heat up, I could see us releasing Carr to clear space.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/12/allen-robinson-doesnt-think-torn-acl-will-keep-him-from-multi-year-deal/

49 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

And that team is now one year older on an already aging roster when it comes to key contributors. Expecting us to secure major holes for the upcoming season with rookies kind of goes against everything in our recent history, yeah?

QB- Flacco, not exactly old for a QB yet.

RB- young backfield

WR- Our receiving core was below average. Turnover here likely can’t get do worst than last season’s unit.

TE- Young players but no gamebreaker

LT- Ronnie Stanley (young)

LG- Hurst (veteran) and Lewis (young)

C- Skura (young)

RG- Yanda: he’s definitely old, but our line did well last season and he was only playing for two games. Adding him to the lineup can only improve things.

RT- Howard: (Old)

————————

DE- Urban (veteran)

DT- Williams (veteran)

NT- Pierce (veteran)

Rush- Suggs (old) and Williams (young)

MLB- CJ Mosley (veteran)

WLB- Peanut (young)

SLB- Judon (young) and Bowser (young)

FS- Weddle (old)

SS- Jefferson (veteran)

CB- Humphrey (really young)

CB- Canady (veteran) and Carr (old)

Slot- Young (young)

Safety- Levine (veteran) and Clark (young)

——————————

So I see five old players that theoretically we could see a decline from. Carr has already started to significantly regress IMO. But I also see another five or so young players that could really come on in 2018.

And it’ll be difficult for our passing game to not greatly exceed the 2017 production, if not just because Flacco will be healthy.

42 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

We'd have an easier time fitting him in with a multi year deal. And I'd give him one.

52 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

RB- young backfield

WR- Our receiving core was below average. Turnover here likely can’t get do worst than last season’s unit.

TE- Young players but no gamebreaker

LT- Ronnie Stanley (young)

LG- Hurst (veteran) and Lewis (young)

C- Skura (young)

RG- Yanda: he’s definitely old, but our line did well last season and he was only playing for two games. Adding him to the lineup can only improve things.

RT- Howard: (Old)

————————

DE- Urban (veteran)

DT- Williams (veteran)

NT- Pierce (veteran)

Rush- Suggs (old) and Williams (young)

MLB- CJ Mosley (veteran)

WLB- Peanut (young)

SLB- Judon (young) and Bowser (young)

FS- Weddle (old)

SS- Jefferson (veteran)

CB- Humphrey (really young)

Slot- Young (young)

Safety- Levine (veteran) and Clark (young)

——————————

So I see five old players that theoretically we could see a decline from. Carr has already started to significantly regress IMO. But I also see another five or so young players that could really come on in 2018.

And it’ll be difficult for our passing game to not greatly exceed the 2017 production, if not just because Flacco will be healthy.

Most, if not an overwhelming majority of our good players, or players who can make any sort of honors program, are old. The exception is CJ Mosley and maybe Brandon Williams. Everyone else, Carr/Weddle/Suggs/Yanda/Wallace are all old. Those are basically all of our impact players. Unless some of our 2nd or 3rd year guys really hit stride and take some enormous leaps, I'm going to have to agree that there's really not going to be much improvement across the roster from what we saw last year, especially given that historically our rookies don't just come in and play right away.

But, I think I'm neglicting that historically we do our best to plug up immediate holes after the draft when more vets get cut. I have to believe we're going to get a veteran at either TE or WR. We can't afford not to.

2 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

Most, if not an overwhelming majority of our good players, or players who can make any sort of honors program, are old. The exception is CJ Mosley and maybe Brandon Williams. Everyone else, Carr/Weddle/Suggs/Yanda/Wallace are all old. Those are basically all of our impact players. Unless some of our 2nd or 3rd year guys really hit stride and take some enormous leaps, I'm going to have to agree that there's really not going to be much improvement across the roster from what we saw last year, especially given that historically our rookies don't just come in and play right away.

But, I think I'm neglicting that historically we do our best to plug up immediate holes after the draft when more vets get cut. I have to believe we're going to get a veteran at either TE or WR. We can't afford not to.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t plug holes. I’m simply saying that after we won the Super Bowl we had a huge roster change losing two HOF players and a host of key veteran contributors.

We immediately followed that up with some terrible to questionable draft classes, seemingly reaching for talent vs going for the best prospects.

Our past couple drafts have seen improvements IMO. One more strong class and we have a healthy built squad.

I don’t disagree with you about our rookies usually not contributing very quickly. That said, that’s not as much the case on the offensive side of the ball.

Flacco earned playing time early. Ray Rice contributed even with McGahee here. Torrey Smith quickly worked his way into the lineup. Kelechi Osemele. James Hurst as an undrafted OL got looks. Bernard Pierce was used to spell Rice. Dennis Pitta and Ed Dickson came in immediately and got playing time.

Generally outside of an offensive player being a bust, like Breshad Perriman, we tend to find a way to get offensive players involved in their rookie campaigns much more than defensive players.

Also you made a strong point about when we purge veterans player see an uptic in rookie action. Well we’re returning many of the defensive and OL pieces. Really we’re just purging the receiving core and losing Ryan Jensen.

Its not hard to believe that our second and third year defenders will come on because that’s when we usually see an uptic there. And offensively this should be mainly a draft that attacks that side of the ball so many of our rookies should earn more immediate playing time.

Edit: And again with Yanda, he might be old, but we lost him for most of the season last year with an undrafted sophomore center from our practice squad replacing him. Theoretically speaking even an old Yanda should be an upgrade over a green Skura.

4 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

33 is fairly old for normal QBs.  Don't let the recent performances of elite QBs into their late 30s fool you into thinking Flacco can do it too 

4 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Slot- Young (young)

Canady and Young were from the same draft and Young is actually older by 2 months :P

27 minutes ago, drd23 said:

33 is fairly old for normal QBs.  Don't let the recent performances of elite QBs into their late 30s fool you into thinking Flacco can do it too 

Canady and Young were from the same draft and Young is actually older by 2 months :P

Joe Flacco is elite and he can AND will do It too, dammit! He will bring Baltimore one more ring. And he will be the first HOF QB to go in the hall without a pro bowl.

I seent it!

Archived