Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

I asked about Staley making the HOF least year and got responses of he is Hall of very good opposed to a Hall of Famer. That is fair, but say he has two more borderline elite seasons like last year? And he makes two more Pro Bowls? He would then have the longevity plus the sheer amount of pro bowl appearances to have a case for making it. 

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I asked about Staley making the HOF least year and got responses of he is Hall of very good opposed to a Hall of Famer. That is fair, but say he has two more borderline elite seasons like last year? And he makes two more Pro Bowls? He would then have the longevity plus the sheer amount of pro bowl appearances to have a case for making it. 

I always thought that was where he belong was the hall of very good, to be honest. But I was reading Barrows' mailbag about him being a sneaky HOF candidate, and coming off a very good year last year, I delved into it a little more. I still don't think he gets in, but I think he has a better case than I thought initially. 

These HOF voters aren't really studying the OL and don't really know what a good OL looks like compared to a great OL. So what they will go off is the accomplishments of that particular player. Maiocco will make a case for Staley as he seems like he does all SF candidates, and then the voters will just look at his his pro bowl trips and all pro selections. That's why if he gets to 8 Pro Bowls, and we to add a deep playing off run for the team during the next few years? It may be enough to clinch him a spot in the HOF.

24 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

These HOF voters aren't really studying the OL and don't really know what a good OL looks like compared to a great OL. So what they will go off is the accomplishments of that particular player. Maiocco will make a case for Staley as he seems like he does all SF candidates, and then the voters will just look at his his pro bowl trips and all pro selections. That's why if he gets to 8 Pro Bowls, and we to add a deep playing off run for the team during the next few years? It may be enough to clinch him a spot in the HOF.

I wasn't aware that MM made all the SF HOF cases. I wonder why that is? Just seniority, I wonder? 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I wasn't aware that MM made all the SF HOF cases. I wonder why that is? Just seniority, I wonder? 

He doesn't make all, but he made Owens and may have made Craig's. They pretty much go to the voter who covered that particular player. So he may not have made Craig's since he started covering in 94 I believe. But I am sure the next 49ers available he will make their HOF case.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/8/22/17765544/jimmy-garoppolo-49ers-john-lynch-kyle-shanahan

Always liked Mays from his days at Grantland, and I think this is a pretty solid article. Some good bits of information in there too about how things went down at certain points with Jimmy G and the team. 

That was a very good read. Especially enjoyed the process by which Shanny decided Jimmy G was 'it'.

• Like 1

On 2018-08-22 at 4:55 PM, Forge said:

Cedrick Thornton retires, so we re-signed Chris Jones. About as minor as 49er news can get :D

I always liked Chris Jones. Not that he makes too much sense for us right now or has a strong chance to make the roster. But I liked him in his previous stints.

• Like 1