Combine Time

Leader

On 2/26/2018 at 7:03 AM, Leader said:

It's a valuable skills test. It's not a football game.
The guys invited to the Combine have played lots of football games against a spectrum of competition. They've generated tons of video - all except these skills test.

One reason the NFL is the cream of the crop is this weeding out process - the Combine and Pro Days to follow. It's extensive and extreme. A guys hand size may give him a leg up over another in the eyes of some. Teams will get the opportunity to sit down with prospective draft picks....gauge them as individuals....outside the tape.

John Ross ran the fastest "40" ever, but he can't run a route or catch the football. Kyle Boller impressed everyone with his arm strength, though his accuracy stunk. Same with Brady Quinn. To me, a useful test is the three cone. Speed, agility, accelaration are all on display. So, is this valuable? It does give the teams a chance to evaluate the players during interviews, and gives them the chance to decide who they want to have individual visits. But it's value is in the eye of the beholder. You, Leader, have a positive view. Mine is more dim. To each their own. 

On 2/26/2018 at 6:15 AM, Golfman said:

Writing off a 3rd round pick who was injured during the majority of camp and missed several games is not a smart move. Guys make big jumps in year 2, I expect Adams to do the same on the d-line. I also thought Lowry was not chopped liver. He played pretty well in year two and will improve some more. 

I'm curious as to whether Biegel can make a big jump, and whether Martinez can continue to improve. The replacement of Capers should also give a boost to the defense. From what I've been reading, there is a lot of excitement by defensive players for Pettine. Compare this to Rodgers' unhappiness at losing his QB coach, and it seems the players haven't been buying into the scheme for some time. Confusion in the secondary in particular was noted often. Will King and Randall continue to improve? Lots of questions, but also a more positive buzz about the defense than I've read for years.

10 minutes ago, ricky said:

John Ross ran the fastest "40" ever, but he can't run a route or catch the football. Kyle Boller impressed everyone with his arm strength, though his accuracy stunk. Same with Brady Quinn. To me, a useful test is the three cone. Speed, agility, accelaration are all on display. So, is this valuable? It does give the teams a chance to evaluate the players during interviews, and gives them the chance to decide who they want to have individual visits. But it's value is in the eye of the beholder. You, Leader, have a positive view. Mine is more dim. To each their own. 

I dont see a downside from further evaluation and information on a "potential hire" (if you would). I'd imagine John Ross's route running and/or pass catching difficulties showed up in his game tape - so the Combine's neither making or breaking him - just providing additional insights "potential employers" can consider.

But John Ross was a headliner of sorts. He was coming out of college with some known bonafides. To alot of "marginal" players the Combine offers front and center attention that would have disappeared after the season and can get them drafted - or boost them a round or two.

I am going to be keeping a very close eye on Davenport and Landry. Two different but yet effective style edge rushers. Davenports stock could skyrocket if his #s impress. And I just have a feeling Landry is going to do just that, maybe not quite to a Vic Beasley level, but I think they'r relatively similar. Don't sleep on him. 

On 2/26/2018 at 8:03 AM, Leader said:

It's a valuable skills test. It's not a football game.
The guys invited to the Combine have played lots of football games against a spectrum of competition. They've generated tons of video - all except these skills test.

One reason the NFL is the cream of the crop is this weeding out process - the Combine and Pro Days to follow. It's extensive and extreme. A guys hand size may give him a leg up over another in the eyes of some. Teams will get the opportunity to sit down with prospective draft picks....gauge them as individuals....outside the tape.

But sometimes a kid will shine in the Combine even if his game tape isn't as good and thus gets over drafted.  That Poe guy is one that comes to mind...

On 26/02/2018 at 2:47 AM, ricky said:

That's the problem with the Combine. Only certain players are invited. 

ricky, if you haven't already seen this, it might interest you. Pigskin Paul (Great Blue North) talking about possible undervalued players. Several of these guys did not get an invite to the combine despite being impressive. I was interested in QB, Lauletta, guard Sam Jones and WR Fountain. Any of them might be a good later pick. 

https://gbnreport.com/radar-2018-nfl-draft/

I wasn't much of a fan of Ross in the previous draft. Blinding speed, but a thin frame, several injuries and what sealed it for me was when his hammy tightened up after one 40 yd dash. He just didn't look like he would survive in the NFL maelstrom, you can't make the club from the tub. Just as an irrelevant aside, perhaps my favourite player in that draft was CB Fabian Moreau (round 3, Redskins).

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

But sometimes a kid will shine in the Combine even if his game tape isn't as good and thus gets over drafted.  That Poe guy is one that comes to mind...

Dontari Poe has put together a fine NFL career so that's not a great argument.

The numbers are important, everyone will say they aren't as to not tip their hands but in the age of analytics there are plenty of people for each team plugging these things into formulas and algorithms that try and predict NFL success.

6 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Zoning out.  I wasn't referring to a specific incidence actually.  Forgot about that nap. 

What looks like zoning out for most humans, (mouth agape, eyes glazed over, mouth breathing, general look of minimal brain activity) is actually Ted focusing intently.

Archived