Combine Time

Leader

53 minutes ago, Leader said:

You know you've got too many things on your mind when you encounter the following: Shaquem Griffin was said to have surprised a bunch of folks at the Combine doing bench presses.

My thought: "How does a guy with one hand do a bench press (?) I'll have to read about that....."
At which point I have the obvious "Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh moment" and find out the obvious - he put a prosthetic hand on his arm.

Sometimes the answer is hiding in plain sight right under your nose.

The thing I'd like to know is whether he'd be allowed to use an artificial hand in the NFL (he didn't use one in college). I don't mean anything crazy like a hook, just a prosthetic hand.

UPDATED: 40 times of DBs everyone is keying in on here:

Jaire Alexander with an unofficial  4.38

Tony Brown with an unofficial 4.37

Carlton Davis with an unofficial 4.53

Mike Hughes with an unofficial 4.53

Donte Jackson with an unoffcial 4.32

Josh Jackson with an unofficial 4.49

Tarvarus McFadden with an unofficial 4.67

Isiah Oliver with an unofficial 4.51

Denzel Ward with an unofficial 4.32

Safeties

Dane Cruickshank with an unofficial 4.44

DaShon Elliot with an unofficial 4.5

Minkah Fitzpatrick with an unofficial 4.47

Tre Flowers with an unofficial 4.45

Derwin James with an unofficial 4.48

Note: Will update as others run. Also, 10-yard splits aren't available on NFL Network at this moment.

One thing I took from watching the safeties run at the combine was that the Packers would be smart to get one this year. Not necessarily in the first two or even three rounds, but anytime onwards. They have speed this year, a ton of guys faster than 4.6's. Many of them are not little guys, either. The Packers have started to up the team speed - I'm expecting them to be significantly faster this year by adding a CB, S, WR and TE, all with decent speed.

With the corners, lots of guys looked good and showed decent hands, but Josh Jackson did not look good or comfortable in the drills.

36 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

One thing I took from watching the safeties run at the combine was that the Packers would be smart to get one this year. Not necessarily in the first two or even three rounds, but anytime onwards. They have speed this year, a ton of guys faster than 4.6's. Many of them are not little guys, either. The Packers have started to up the team speed - I'm expecting them to be significantly faster this year by adding a CB, S, WR and TE, all with decent speed.

With the corners, lots of guys looked good and showed decent hands, but Josh Jackson did not look good or comfortable in the drills.

Something CW mentioned about Josh Jackson being better skilled at zone coverage versus man has given me pause to consider......

We need the latter IMO. Fast, aggressive, "It's my ball and not yours" types of CB.
A press guy can learn zone. A zone guy gets beat in press....especially at NFL speeds.

A lot comes down to what Mike Pettine thinks about Josh Jones, doesn't it?  Since the Capers D is notoriously tough for safeties, so his struggles as a rookie were not unexpected, but it's not as though he's not a quality prospect nor is it like Pettine's defensive philosophy doesn't hinge on "asking guys to do things they can actually do" , so it might be that GB thinks they have 2 starting safeties and would just be looking for depth.

Real good chance the interview process for DC involved a lot of questions about "what would you do with [this specific player]" and I'd be super surprised if they didn't discuss all the sophomore defenders at length.

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Something CW mentioned about Josh Jackson being better skilled at zone coverage versus man has given me pause to consider......

We need the latter IMO. Fast, aggressive, "It's my ball and not yours" types of CB.
A press guy can learn zone. A zone guy gets beat in press....especially at NFL speeds.

I mean, if there's one thing you can teach it's technique.  The problem is I don't find those man instincts to be there as much as his zone instincts are there.  Kinda Micah Hyde in that sense.  Hyde's instincts played up significantly in zone coverage, which is part of the reason why I'm not overly surprised he had a successful season with Buffalo.  Did I think he'd be that good?  No, but I knew if you put him in a position where you let him watch the QBs eyes he's going to be pretty good.  Kevin King is closer to the mold I'm looking at if you're playing man coverage.  Prototypical height/speed and not afraid to mix it up.

Combine winners:

Josh Allen: He's been the #1 QB to me since we started the process and he was clearly the best QB at the Combine.

Justin Jackson: Everyone expected him to be the uber productive, mediocre athlete back we see a lot. Guys a legit athlete. Definitely going to move up board.

Courtland Sutton: You figured he would be a big, slow, stiff guy, he wasn't. His numbers are going to make people watch his tape again.

Austin Corbett: He's a 2nd round guy to me and a prototype for Packers OL.

Mark Andrews: Goedert was out and Andrews took advantage, far better athlete than I expected.

Leighton Vander Esch: Became a legit top 20 guy. Film and numbers were good, then he measured in great and blew the athletic numbers away.

Jaire Alexander: Wow I did not expect him under 4.4. With as bad as Jackson was, he might have moved into top 20 consideration.

Losers:

Lamar Jackson: Love Lamar, he's got a lot of work to do before his Pro Day. Did no athletic testing because he wanted to focus on throwing, then he didn't spin it.

Calvin Ridley: Small hands, mediocre athlete, just don't see a top 20 guy.

Orlando Brown: An obvious one.

Arden Key: Came in a bit small, didn't jump particularly well or run at all. Has a chance to get back into round 1 at his Pro Day but Landry and Van Esch cleary passed him at LB.

Josh Jackson: Guy can't back pedal, he's got a lot of work to do to get back into round 1 consideration.

Archived