NCAA Recruiting Thread

Kmart128

9 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Please happen

Duren is announcing his decision tomorrow, if he commits to Memphis I could see Emoni committing there as well. From NIT team to a top 10 team with two commitments. Penny Hardaway so mid though, they should both go to Duke. 

9 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Please happen

What is the likelihood that Bates and Duren will play together in 2021-22? Do they truly want to play together?

There has been some buzz over the past few weeks that the two have had conversations about playing together in college. Bates cutting Miami from his list leaves only two potential options for the two to play together at the next level: Memphis and the G League. With college looking to be the likely route for Duren, that would leave only Memphis. The Tigers are squarely in the mix for both players.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Does Emoni want that FedEx money or that Nike money?

Rumor has it that Emoni isn't even considering Michigan State anymore, apparently just has them listed as a courtesy thing. I guess Jaden Akins (4* recruit) a player that's apart of MSU's 2021 class went to YPSI Prep (Emoni's dads fake school) but quit the team because him and Emoni hate each other, lol. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

they could get the top 5 prospects in the class and still wont be ranked higher than houston. 

penny is overrated.

If they get Duren and Bates, arguably the top 2 recruits in the country, they will begin the season ranked higher than Houston guaranteed. 

22 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If they get Duren and Bates, arguably the top 2 recruits in the country, they will begin the season ranked higher than Houston guaranteed. 

they wont finish higher though and thats what matter.  preseason rankings are good to look at but in the grand scheme on things dont matter.  thats why getting a ton of 1 and dones dont usually work out, and Penny has had several.  thats not how you build a program.  Plus he hasnt proven to be a very good HC so far. 

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

they wont finish higher though and thats what matter.  preseason rankings are good to look at but in the grand scheme on things dont matter.  thats why getting a ton of 1 and dones dont usually work out, and Penny has had several.  thats not how you build a program.  Plus he hasnt proven to be a very good HC so far. 

Penny has had several one and done's? They've had 2 in his 3 years there, Precious/Wiseman, and Wiseman only played like 3 games for them. Their massive roster shift was pretty odd this off-season but they're bringing back 3 of their top 5 scorers in Landers Nolley, DeAndre Williams, and Lester Quinones. 

They already have one of the best recruiting classes in the country coming in and Bates/Duren would surely put them at the top by a pretty wide margin. Emoni Bates has been touted as the best HS basketball player since LeBron James for a while now and Duren is the #2 recruit in the country. Those guys are both elite players and instantly would make Memphis one of the favorites to win a national championship. 

2 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

TBH Bates is a little overrated.  He is a very good prospect but he isnt generational like people think.  If they get both im still not scared of them.  

I'd agree with that. Bates is very good but as we've seen with a lot of prospects that are hyped up at an early age, other prospects catch up. Duren has surpassed him in the 2022 composite rankings as the #1 player in the class. I think Bates is legit and will be a good pro but Andrew Wiggins also had a similar level of hype coming out of HS. 

Regardless though if they get Duren and Bates they'll be a top 10 team. Those two will both be in the discussion for national player of the year. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'd agree with that. Bates is very good but as we've seen with a lot of prospects that are hyped up at an early age, other prospects catch up. Duren has surpassed him in the 2022 composite rankings as the #1 player in the class. I think Bates is legit and will be a good pro but Andrew Wiggins also had a similar level of hype coming out of HS. 

Regardless though if they get Duren and Bates they'll be a top 10 team. Those two will both be in the discussion for national player of the year. 

dont get me wrong.  i want teams like memphis and cincy to be good. it makes the conference good if its more teams in the tourney, but i dont see how those 2 added will all of a sudden be better than an established houston team that retooled after their final four team.  on paper this team has the potential to be the better than the final four team last season if everything goes well. 

Just now, Texansfan713 said:

but i dont see how those 2 added will all of a sudden be better than an established houston team that retooled after their final four team.  

You don't see how adding two players that could legitimately be the two best players in the country next season would make them better than Houston? If the age rules are changed Bates/Duren might be the top 2 picks in the 2022 draft. 

I'd assume their starting 5 would be...

G - Alex Lomax (6'0" 190, Sr) 

G - Lester Quinones (6'5" 205, Jr)

G - Landers Nolley (6'7" 220, Jr)

F - Emoni Bates (6'9" 200, Fr)

F - Jalen Duren (6'10" 220, Fr)