$18M Left In Cap Space - How To Spend?

Norm

11 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

We're not being stingy and there's definitely a plan.  My point is that the options left to re-sign are not inspiring, thus the plan has not worked out that great.

Perhaps they thought we were gonna spend more in FA than we actually did.  Now that we didn't, the best course is to use that money for extensions rather than roll the money into next year, but still the extension candidates are not really that inspiring.  So do you extend a middling guy just because you have the money?

In a vacuum, I think most of these decisions make sense.  Separately, the cumulative effect is not really that promising though.  

Paying Adams seems like the best use of the money, but Adams from my perspective isn't worth much more salary wise and play wise than a guy like Rishard Matthews.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/rishard-matthews-10048/

I think you're right. I think they did expect to keep more then went well...

I agree and don't agree on the interior line. With the way they're paying those damn guys lately they might be trying a cheap early "security" deal with both. Look I agree they aren't changing a season. But you know as well as I do we're gonna howl at the moon if they go and the guys after can't play. Linsley needs to stay. Can live with Taylor. Market might be softer there so you deal. But you can't lose two or three interior guys again even if they don't make ya go "these guys help win games" ya know?

I'm such a fence sitter along for the ride these days I probably put too much faith in the guys running to show.

22 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The hard part is pegging whose in line for an extension.  I know we've discussed ad nauseam whether or not Morgan Burnett is going to receive that 3rd contract, and if that's not the case it's likely Davante Adams and Corey Linsley as the two prime candidates to get extensions.

Open to anyone, and I'm always wrong, but I don't feel like Morgan's market will be crazy. Higher than I'd guess like always but not unavoidable. This season could change a lot with his new role to a degree though I suppose?

Am I off?

Then again I never saw that Hyde money coming

22 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Adams will easily get more than what Rishard Matthews just got.  When Matthews got that 3 year, $15M deal he was coming off a 43/662/4 in 11 GP season.  Adams is coming off a 75/997/12 season.  Matthews would be his absolute floor IMO, not his ceiling by any means.  You're probably looking at a 4 year, $32M deal or so IMO.

Then again Tanny isn't Rodgers :) wait I can't read stats. I suck.

2 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

If Adams has a similar year to last year, he will probably get $10MM a year. Someone will offer him $12MM

Hard pass on that IMO.

1 minute ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I think you're right. I think they did expect to keep more then went well...

I agree and don't agree on the interior line. With the way they're paying those damn guys lately they might be trying a cheap early "security" deal with both. Look I agree they aren't changing a season. But you know as well as I do we're gonna howl at the moon if they go and the guys after can't play. Linsley needs to stay. Can live with Taylor. Market might be softer there so you deal. But you can't lose two or three interior guys again even if they don't make ya go "these guys help win games" ya know?

I'm such a fence sitter along for the ride these days I probably put too much faith in the guys running to show.

To me, the money on the IOL should have gone to Lang, even if it was a bit pricey.  Lang over Adams/Burnett/Linsley/Taylor etc.  Would so much rather spend 140% on an elite talent, than 130% on a good one.  I just think there's so so many average to good skill players in the NFL who are looking for the right scheme year after year.  Sometimes these guys really pop and can be highly productive in a good system with a good qb when they find the right fit.  We could sign 2-3 guys at middle rates for what we get on an Adams contract, and probably get more value.  Course that would mean finally dumping the kids and investing in Rodgers the right way.

1 minute ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Open to anyone, and I'm always wrong, but I don't feel like Morgan's market will be crazy.

Then again I never saw that Hyde money coming

Feels like Tennessee would just throw a TON of money at Burnett.  Good reliable safeties are making $$$, and burnett has significant playmaking upside over guys like Barry Church.  Plus he can pretty much fit in anyone's scheme so everyone would be in play.  To me that equals a really strong market for him, plus he's out of our typical age range.

16 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I guess I don't see Lane Taylor as one of those players you're prioritizing with an extension.  I mean, if they've exhausted their other options and they've still got a few more million left over I could see them talking to him about a long term deal.  I think Corey Linsley is probably a candidate, and gives him some long term security as well.

3 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

I'd pay Adams to be the #1 if he shoes he can, which I think he will. Jordy and Cobb could be off the books next year or the year after.

Agreed.  Cobbs contract in 2015 was $10M per year of a $143M cap or about 6.9% of the cap

If Adams signs for $12M per year of a estimated $180M cap... about 6.6%.

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Agreed.  Cobbs contract in 2015 was $10M per year of a $143M cap or about 6.9% of the cap

Honestly I am trying to like your posts but webby won't let me

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I don't think he pushes $12M, probably closer to $10M on the open market.

10 Million is where I'm at, but he might be closer to 12 Million than we'd all like. 

On the other hand... I think more veteran WRs will be released next off-season than usual. 

This FA WR class is going to be fantastic and teams will release veterans that aren't on favorable contracts. 

Plenty of opportunities for Street FAs at WR if need be (at least I think so). 

2 minutes ago, Cadmus said:
4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

10 Million is where I'm at, but he might be closer to 12 Million than we'd all like. 

On the other hand... I think more veteran WRs will be released next off-season than usual. 

This FA WR class is going to be fantastic and teams will release veterans that aren't on favorable contracts. 

Plenty of opportunities for Street FAs at WR if need be (at least I think so). 

Tae will be 25. That is desirable

Just now, JBURGE25 said:

Tae will be 25. That is desirable

I'm not saying he won't be? 

I was just trying to point out that next years FA class at the WR position will be the best in a LONG time. 

I think there will be a bunch of street FAs. (That list might even include Rishard Matthews).  

Just now, Cadmus said:

I'm not saying he won't be? 

I was just trying to point out that next years FA class at the WR position will be the best in a LONG time. 

I think there will be a bunch of street FAs. (That list might even include Rishard Matthews).  

Trade me crowell

Archived