$18M Left In Cap Space - How To Spend?

Norm

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'd rather let him get us a third round pick in free agency and force us to use another second round pick on a younger receiver.  I'm fine with Nelson/Cobb/Adams this year, but it's getting close to time we have to get our next #1 receiver, and I don't want Adams to be our #1 receiver for four years. 

Keep Adams, draft #1 WR in second round? haha

I want to see Adams this year before I decide whether he's a #1 going forward. If he plays great and prices himself into a #1 deal, awesome. He's so young and even a 4 year deal would have him a FA at 30 and then he can get another big deal elsewhere. With Cobb and Nelson coming off the books, Adams at $12MM won't look bad next to another young WR and Julio Janis

Just now, NormSizedMidget said:

Keep Adams, draft #1 WR in second round? haha

I hate having that much money at receiver.  I just hate it.  It's one thing if each of them is always bringing it like Jordy, but Cobb hasn't been, and Adams has had a down year before and DOES have issues with confidence at times.  I think signing Cobb just ruined it for me on extending receivers. 

The only way I'd like for us to keep Adams is if it was a shorter two or three year deal and if we cut Cobb. 

I'd be okay moving on from Cobb after this year. It's funny, he will only turn 27 this year. Jordy's game should age well, so I would rather him play out the next 2 years and have Cobb's money be replaced by Davante before we load up on youth at the position again. 

Just now, JBURGE25 said:

I'd be okay moving on from Cobb after this year. It's funny, he will only turn 27 this year. Jordy's game should age well, so I would rather him play out the next 2 years and have Cobb's money be replaced by Davante before we load up on youth at the position again. 

I am in agreement with all of this.  I feel like Jordy is going to end his career leading the Packers in every major receiving category.  That's only 77% wishful thinking. 

Assume he plays three more years.  Over those three years, he would have to average:

82 receptions.
924 yards.
12 touchdowns.

I think he can do it.  If he plays 4 more years:

62 receptions.
693 yards.
9 touchdowns.

58 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I hate having that much money at receiver.  I just hate it.  It's one thing if each of them is always bringing it like Jordy, but Cobb hasn't been, and Adams has had a down year before and DOES have issues with confidence at times.  I think signing Cobb just ruined it for me on extending receivers. 

The only way I'd like for us to keep Adams is if it was a shorter two or three year deal and if we cut Cobb. 

We are a passing team. 30mil in WR's isn't awful,  we can move/cut Cobb if need be.

We are a passing team, and ARod will need some WR's to catch Favre :)

I still want us to get an alpha WR (Julio, Moss, AJ, Dez), maybe Dupree can be that. (so you're saying there's a chance)

Draft Sutton next year and run with Adams/Jordy/Bennett/Monty/Sutton in singleback sets.

Part what makes ARod great is discipline, he only throws to guys that are open, but man the most excited Ive been watching him were those jump balls to Janis, and the Hail Mary's.  I wish on 3rd and long instead of checking down or throwing it away he would just heave it more often (pick is like a punt), but he does love his QB rating....

Point being,  I guess ARod wouldn't really take full advantage of an alpha with a huge catch radius, we need route runners like Brown / Holt / Bruce.

52 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Pretty sure Devante is gonna light it up this year... and he wants to stay in GB per comments I heard.

Tried to upvote this.....

I'd say lock him up now and save 2-3M/year.  If he will do it.  He's young and still ascending.  I like his game outside, but think he could be devastating in the slot and we haven't seen that yet.

Tie up the money now knowing that you can move on from Cobb if you need to, either this year, or next year.

Just now, vegas492 said:

Tried to upvote this.....

I'd say lock him up now and save 2-3M/year.  If he will do it.  He's young and still ascending.  I like him game outside, but think the could be devastating in the slot and we haven't seen that yet.

Tie up the money now knowing that you can move on from Cobb if you need to, either this year, or next year.

Yeah, Davante and Linsley make the most sense for in-season extensions

1 minute ago, JBURGE25 said:

Yeah, Davante and Linsley make the most sense for in-season extensions

You bet.  Thinking that Lane Taylor is in there somewhere as well.

Very much think that one or two get done, but all three will not.

I agree with you, of the three, Taylor would be the lowest priority.  In the league, I'm not sure where he ranks with starting guards.  

37 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You bet.  Thinking that Lane Taylor is in there somewhere as well.

Very much think that one or two get done, but all three will not.

I agree with you, of the three, Taylor would be the lowest priority.  In the league, I'm not sure where he ranks with starting guards.  

Lane was between 2 solid guys, but I would have a hard time saying he wasn't in the middle third of starting guards last year. 

59 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Lane was between 2 solid guys, but I would have a hard time saying he wasn't in the middle third of starting guards last year. 

You read PFF don't you?!!

Though I agree. But if we keep those guys...why not stick him there for the future? Gotta see money bc I have zero feel there.

I kinda root for that dude. I'll never forget that last contract. I thought it was a prank. Boy was I wrong.

Archived