Top 3 wish list for 19

resilient part 2

1 minute ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

In what respect. LBers do not move like Smith.

I'll challenge there are a few in this class that move as well if not faster and more agile then Smith and at larger sizes. Such as Edmund's or LVE. 

I would take a possible young stud TE over ANY LB in the draft. Did you even WATCH the SB this past year??? Ertz has become THEE go to go. 4th and 1 in the 4th quarter, Go to Ertz. 3rd and long inside the red zone, go to Ertz, SB winning TD. He creates more mismatches and opens up that entire offense.

SB Final score 44-31. If you want to win in this league, you have to keep pace. Defense is not the answer.

If Dak could find that in his game, paired with our O line and running game, we could be just as lethal.

So go ahead, go after the "generational talent" in a LB position. We haven't had anyone there outside of Lee that made a damn bit of difference in decades. Even if you did, you're not stopping Wentz, Brady, Roth, Brees, etc. They will simply draw you in and throw it right over your head or around you or to the wide open guy NAMED ERTZ in the flat or 15 yards up field.

Witten is reliable and serviceable, but he is not THAT guy anymore. We wasted enough 2nd round picks trying to find his heir (Fasano, Bennett, Escobar) nada. No, we need to go 1st round on this one.

1 hour ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Mark Andrews isn't even the best TE in this draft but I'm sleep.

Truthfully all the TE's in this class have some glaring drawbacks. Not major, major. But they should be acknowledged and addressed. 

43 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Sure, I'm just not about taking a TE at 19, especially my number 3 TE. But that's just me.

I get it. I know the rankings, but I think this kid is going to work for us. More than any of the other project TE's we had. I feel like the people that rate these players are wrong on this one. Just like when we took Fredricks in the 1st round and people thought we could have grabbed him late in the 2nd. it was a huge need for us and the Dallas FO believed he was a fit for us. I believe their assessment was accurate.

E. Smith wasn't the highest rated RB on the board in the 1990 draft, B. Thomas was, I believe. Look how that went. You can't always go by what the big board says. Sometimes a player just fits a scheme to well and you have to pull the trigger.

This kid gets into space well, runs the seam, is a huge RZ threat, he is big at 6-4 and 250, his blocking needs work but hat can be addressed, he has soft hands and, above all, is an intelligent player. He doesn't simply rely on athletic ability.

If this offense is going to work with Dak as our QB for years to come, he NEEDS this his guy at the TE position. Right now he does not have that. It was Beasley 2 years ago, but that window has since been shut.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Mark+Andrews&&view=detail&mid=2B27D5EECFC51BEEC9C82B27D5EECFC51BEEC9C8&&FORM=VRDGAR

You can see how he sets up would be tacklers with YAC. This is football intelligence, he knows what to do with the ball afterwards. 

45 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

I get it. I know the rankings, but I think this kid is going to work for us. More than any of the other project TE's we had. I feel like the people that rate these players are wrong on this one. Just like when we took Fredricks in the 1st round and people thought we could have grabbed him late in the 2nd. it was a huge need for us and the Dallas FO believed he was a fit for us. I believe their assessment was accurate.

E. Smith wasn't the highest rated RB on the board in the 1990 draft, B. Thomas was, I believe. Look how that went. You can't always go by what the big board says. Sometimes a player just fits a scheme to well and you have to pull the trigger.

This kid gets into space well, runs the seam, is a huge RZ threat, he is big at 6-4 and 250, his blocking needs work but hat can be addressed, he has soft hands and, above all, is an intelligent player. He doesn't simply rely on athletic ability.

If this offense is going to work with Dak as our QB for years to come, he NEEDS this his guy at the TE position. Right now he does not have that. It was Beasley 2 years ago, but that window has since been shut.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Mark+Andrews&&view=detail&mid=2B27D5EECFC51BEEC9C82B27D5EECFC51BEEC9C8&&FORM=VRDGAR

You can see how he sets up would be tacklers with YAC. This is football intelligence, he knows what to do with the ball afterwards. 

I'm not just going by a big board though - I've watched them (and I'm obviously no expert of course), and he's behind Goedert and Hurst for me in that order. But hey, if you love him there, that's awesome too. I just wouldn't love it personally.

I think for best long term after nick draft show on ESPN 

1 Smith. Though doubt he will last

2. Evans

3 Ripley

if Davenport drops I might take him over Smith. But that is iffy.    

My top choice is James but no way he will be available 

NO way I take a TE here.  I understand the thought as yes Witten is not elite receiver but we need a TE who also can block and with our team IMO an elite WR with speed does more to open up areas for Dak then a TE who cannot block well 

Let me go on record as saying that in all my years of watching Dallas drafts, I am more confused than ever as to who/what position/player Dallas will actually like. They are scouting all over the place and leaving no stone unturned, which is good I guess, but dang it. who will they actually pull the trigger on come draft day, especialy at 19 is making my head spin.

Archived