Packers 1st round pick

Golfman

Now that the combine is done I’m pretty confident that along with Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Nelson, and  Barkley that we can add Ward to the unlikely to be there group at 14. And honestly Edmunds and Jackson are probably in that group as well.

I think the pool Green Bay will be picking from is:

- Dermin James

- Roquan Smith

- Marcus Davenport 

- Harold Landry

- Vita Vea

- Leighton Vander Esch

- Calvin Ridley (the only offensive player I think Green Bay would consider)

My thinking is if Ward, Edmunds or Jackson is there with this group one of them will be the pick. I think out of the group above I think you have to start with Landry and Davenport... if one of them don’t inspire you as a potential rusher then I think it gets interesting with a discussion of James vs Esch vs Vea. I don’t think Smith is someone that fits Pettine’s ideal defense. I think if they are going inside lb high it’s either Edmund or Esch.

On 3/5/2018 at 9:36 AM, Kepler said:

Regardless of who GB picks up in free agency, Landry had some very Matthews-esque numbers yesterday. I think he has a decent chance at dropping to 14. He's my man crush at the moment for the first round. 

The numbers might be, but from what I recall these are 2 very different players. I may be the only person left on this forum who isn't a Landry fan (Yes I've watched pre-injury), and his numbers make me want to go watch him again. But I don't see the violence, the anger, the tenacity that CMIII had.

Are people really that convinced that Nelson is a top 13 lock? I'm having a hard time with that. Could it happen - good chance, but I'm not convinced. I haven't watched much of anybody, but I feel like DeCastro had similar hype and he still fell past 13. Granted Warmack had it too and went 10, but it's enough to make me wonder if he doesn't go that high.

23 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Now that the combine is done I’m pretty confident that along with Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Nelson, and  Barkley that we can add Ward to the unlikely to be there group at 14. And honestly Edmunds and Jackson are probably in that group as well.

I think the pool Green Bay will be picking from is:

- Dermin James

- Roquan Smith

- Marcus Davenport 

- Harold Landry

- Vita Vea

- Leighton Vander Esch

- Calvin Ridley (the only offensive player I think Green Bay would consider)

My thinking is if Ward, Edmunds or Jackson is there with this group one of them will be the pick. I think out of the group above I think you have to start with Landry and Davenport... if one of them don’t inspire you as a potential rusher then I think it gets interesting with a discussion of James vs Esch vs Vea. I don’t think Smith is someone that fits Pettine’s ideal defense. I think if they are going inside lb high it’s either Edmund or Esch.

Jackson as in Josh Jackson? Guy looked borderline undraftable at the Combine. He literally looked like he had never back pedaled before in his life. He couldn't do it. He had to stop drills and start over multiple times. He looked like a WR playing the ball, I mean guy is totally legit there, but unless I was a cover 2/3 only team, Jackson wouldn't even be on my board unless it's as a late round flyer. I don't know when Iowa's pro day is, but Jackson has more work to do than just about any prospect between now and then.

19 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Jackson as in Josh Jackson? Guy looked borderline undraftable at the Combine. He literally looked like he had never back pedaled before in his life. He couldn't do it. He had to stop drills and start over multiple times. He looked like a WR playing the ball, I mean guy is totally legit there, but unless I was a cover 2/3 only team, Jackson wouldn't even be on my board unless it's as a late round flyer. I don't know when Iowa's pro day is, but Jackson has more work to do than just about any prospect between now and then.

Yeah Josh Jackson. I’m sorry I go with game tape and the basic drills to test agility/speed/etc. Position drills don’t really interest me, add to the fact people naturally can have good or bad days. I’d rather judge him on game tape to get the story, instead of one afternoon in Indy.

Jackson really just needed to run well... he did that. So I think teams will look at his tape and see the measurables and believe he is a Number 1 corner.

5 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Yeah Josh Jackson. I’m sorry I go with game tape and the basic drills to test agility/speed/etc. Position drills don’t really interest me, add to the fact people naturally can have good or bad days. I’d rather judge him on game tape to get the story, instead of one afternoon in Indy.

Jackson really just needed to run well... he did that. So I think teams will look at his tape and see the measurables and believe he is a Number 1 corner.

He couldn't back pedal, he doesn't press to pedal at Iowa so what game tape is there to trust? Everyone said "Josh Jackson, great zone corner, elite instincts and ball skills but can he press or play M2M?" He shows up to the Combine and he looked awful doing all the drills that showcase your ability to man up on a WR. What do you think a majority of football practice is? Position drills. You can't say they don't interest you. He looked like hadn't spent a minute practicing his biggest weakness, that speaks volumes to me. He'd be an awful 1st round pick for this team as far as I'm concerned. Pretty much the opposite of Kevin King, you'd need to play him off, in cover 2/3. King's wants to be in your face, running M2M, using his length and speed. You can't call 2 different coverages for your 2 corners. Jackson isn't a fit here until he proves otherwise.

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He couldn't back pedal, he doesn't press to pedal at Iowa so what game tape is there to trust? Everyone said "Josh Jackson, great zone corner, elite instincts and ball skills but can he press or play M2M?" He shows up to the Combine and he looked awful doing all the drills that showcase your ability to man up on a WR. What do you think a majority of football practice is? Position drills. You can't say they don't interest you. He looked like hadn't spent a minute practicing his biggest weakness, that speaks volumes to me. He'd be an awful 1st round pick for this team as far as I'm concerned. Pretty much the opposite of Kevin King, you'd need to play him off, in cover 2/3. King's wants to be in your face, running M2M, using his length and speed. You can't call 2 different coverages for your 2 corners. Jackson isn't a fit here until he proves otherwise.

Some guys aren’t M2M corners. If Green Bay took him I would assume they would know that. I’m not saying they should take him and try and fit him somewhere he doesn’t fit. His measurables at the position plus his nose for the ball make him worth the risk. Most every scout has him in the top 15... so he is likely going to go there.

In fact I hope with Pettine on board the days of forcing players into defensive roles they aren’t good at are done. So if they want nothing but man corners then yeah Jackson isn’t our guy... doesn’t mean he isn’t someone’s guy in the top 15. Also doesn’t mean Pettine might not see him and say hey I have my M2M corner on the roster... let’s get Jackson and use him as a chess piece.

Just now, Green19 said:

Some guys aren’t M2M corners. If Green Bay took him I would assume they would know that. I’m not saying they should take him and try and fit him somewhere he doesn’t fit. His measurables at the position plus his noise for the ball make him worth the risk. Most every scout has him in the top 15... so he is likely going to go there.

In fact I hope with Pettine on board the days of forcing players into defensive roles they aren’t good at are done. So if they want nothing but man corners then yeah Jackson isn’t our guy... doesn’t mean he isn’t someone’s guy in the top 15.

I'd be willing to bet a solid amount of money Jaire Alexander took Jackson's spot in the top 20. I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Hughes surpassed him as well. You can't be that uncomfortable at something like pedaling and rate highly as a DB. That's like a QB who struggles badly to take snaps under center. Sure you can always shotgun, but you're not going to look at that prospect and say "that's a player we're taking early."

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I'd be willing to bet a solid amount of money Jaire Alexander took Jackson's spot in the top 20. I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Hughes surpassed him as well. You can't be that uncomfortable at something like pedaling and rate highly as a DB. That's like a QB who struggles badly to take snaps under center. Sure you can always shotgun, but you're not going to look at that prospect and say "that's a player we're taking early."

I doubt for GB though... Isn't Hughes too short?

45 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

Josh Jackson needs to move to FS. His ball skills would play up huge there. 

He didn't really stand out to me as a very good or particularly willing tackler when watching him. His best fit is definitely as a corner in an extremely zone heavy defense IMO. That's really the only way I see him being successful at the next level. 

Jackson knew this drill was coming months ago. You have to ask the question why he looked so bad with plenty of time to practice. Was he just not bothered about practicing ? Red flag however you cut it. If I was him I'd change my agent to Orlando Brown's one, at least I'd be in good company.

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Agree. How the hell can I guy come to the combine and literally NOT be able to move backwards? In the W drill, he runs to the cone and came to a complete stop! then struggled to backpedal until the coach, through the grace of god, called for him to hit the next cone and catch the pass. Almost as sad as watching Orlando Brown run the 40!

Archived