Anime and Manga Thread.

Supersuavesky

Just wrapped up the whole Assassination Classroom series. One of the best that I've watched. It looks like it's going to be an exceedingly goofy series and it has lots of weird moments, don't get me wrong, but it's actually a series with a lot of depth looking at issues that kids have in school, growing up, and learning. It has plenty of normal anime tropes to it, but as compared to a number of other anime that I've watched in the same vein, this one makes you think. Probably a top 5 anime for me.

Right now I'd probably go:
1. Steins;Gate
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Assassination Classroom
4. My Hero Academia
5. Is It Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon

HM: Sword Art Online, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (haven't seen all of it yet)

I hate how some anime blurays are released. They split a single season into multiple set releases, and each set sells for the price of a typical full season of other shows. Ridiculous. It's preventing me from buying them.

On 5/5/2018 at 11:05 PM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Just downloaded Cowboy Bebop to watch for the first time. Might give .hack// a try afterwards. 

Best TV show soundtrack of all-time, IMHO. I still listen to some of those songs a lot.

Watched some of High School DXD because the premise sounded interesting, turns out premise is interesting, fan service is over 11. It is also an anime that wouldn't need that, so it's disappointing. I'll pick another one soon because that one isn't worth continuing.

1 minute ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Just finished episode six of CB. Do the episodes start to deviate from the enemy of the week and have a flowing story?

Yes and no, I feel like generally there's an enemy of a week, but you start to pick up on overarching story throughout the whole thing that is going on and the character arcs as well do flow through the whole of the show and build.

I just watched Season 2 of Attack on Titan finally...

Boy, what the hell happened? The difference between season 1 and 2 is apparent and underwhelming. About half the episode count, a confusing plot that doesn't reveal much from the shock value. It seemed rushed absolutely. I hope season 3 is much better. The payoff just wasn't there for me with S2.

14 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Just finished episode six of CB. Do the episodes start to deviate from the enemy of the week and have a flowing story?

Yea the first 8ish episodes of the series are the weakest, Ballad of Fallen Angels notwithstanding. I actually was a little turned off at the beginning too but at some point throughout the series, it just gets so good. Watch with English dubs because it's God-tier and watch the movie in between episode 22 and 23 for maximum enjoyment.

14 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Watched some of High School DXD because the premise sounded interesting, turns out premise is interesting, fan service is over 11. It is also an anime that wouldn't need that, so it's disappointing. I'll pick another one soon because that one isn't worth continuing.

There are some shows with plot, then there are some shows with PLOT. The fan service can be pretty ridiculous but the English dubbing is genuinely hilarious. It's a lot easier to watch when you're laughing your *** off most of the show. 

1 hour ago, Geek said:

Yea the first 8ish episodes of the series are the weakest, Ballad of Fallen Angels notwithstanding. I actually was a little turned off at the beginning too but at some point throughout the series, it just gets so good. Watch with English dubs because it's God-tier and watch the movie in between episode 22 and 23 for maximum enjoyment.

Ballad of fallen angels is damn near perfection for me. Some of the best anime I've ever watched in that episode. But I agree that the other early episodes are rather meh

I'm 12 episodes in to Assassination Classroom. It's pretty strong and enjoyable without being a "violent" anime, so far. It's a lot of what I like about the genre.

FLCL is starting a sequel series soon. I should probably watch that because I've heard great things. Only 6 episodes.

I got Death Parade on Bluray. I'll start it sometime.