Anime and Manga Thread.

Supersuavesky

Greatest feature length anime flicks: 

HM: Wrath of the Ninja, Howl's moving castle, The girl who lept through time (not my preference, or it would be higher), Your Name, 5 Centimetres per second, Metropolis (should be higher, but some issues it has are noticeable), Summer Wars.. I should probably include Wolf Children, but I just couldn't get into it. 

10. Akira. I'm just not as big of a fan as most of this flick. Still great, still love it, but just not as strongly as most. 

9. X - this is a personal favorite. Not the greatest thing ever, but it's more in my wheelhouse. 

8. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - I actually like this more than I like the original. 

7. Rurouni Kenshin- Tsuiokuhen - okay, this may be cheating as this is actually 4 smaller ova's that are combined to make the overall story. I can happily include Sword of the Stranger which is basically the same thing as well. 

6. Princess Mononoke

5. Ghost in the Shell

4.  Spirited Away

3. Perfect Blue - It's crazy and freaky and brilliant. 

2. Grave of the Fireflies - it may be the saddest film I have ever watched. And I mean out of anything I have ever watched...not just anime lol. 

1. Ninja Scroll - the first anime I ever watched. It will always hold a special place in my heart. 

• Like 1

Finished binging Death Parade last night. What an awesome anime. It had been on my to watch list for a few months and I decided to bang it out because it's only 12 episodes and a OVA.  I really like psychological mind games and it was really interesting to see a host of characters reactions to being put in a high stakes games where their "lives" were on the line. Plus the underlying storyline was solid as well. I knew I was going to like it from the second the OP started playing. It's such a fun catchy opening that's in pretty stark contrast with the rest of the tone of the show. A solid 9/10 show.

55 minutes ago, Forge said:

HM: Wrath of the Ninja, Howl's moving castle, The girl who lept through time (not my preference, or it would be higher), Your Name, 5 Centimetres per second, Metropolis (should be higher, but some issues it has are noticeable), Summer Wars.. I should probably include Wolf Children, but I just couldn't get into it. 

10. Akira. I'm just not as big of a fan as most of this flick. Still great, still love it, but just not as strongly as most. 

9. X - this is a personal favorite. Not the greatest thing ever, but it's more in my wheelhouse. 

8. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - I actually like this more than I like the original. 

7. Rurouni Kenshin- Tsuiokuhen - okay, this may be cheating as this is actually 4 smaller ova's that are combined to make the overall story. I can happily include Sword of the Stranger which is basically the same thing as well. 

6. Princess Mononoke

5. Ghost in the Shell

4.  Spirited Away

2. Grave of the Fireflies - it may be the saddest film I have ever watched. And I mean out of anything I have ever watched...not just anime lol. 

1. Ninja Scroll - the first anime I ever watched. It will always hold a special place in my heart. 

Seen quite a few of these, and my favorite anime movie is still Sword of the Stranger. Great, great movie.

7 hours ago, Forge said:

6. Princess Mononoke

5. Ghost in the Shell

4.  Spirited Away

Nice list... I'm curious - before Ninja Scroll did you ever unwittingly watch any anime without realising what it was?

When I think about it, I know I did... I usually list "Fist of the North Star" as my first anime, but in reality it was the first I actively sought out. 

Before then I'd already watched...

Speed Racer

Space Battleship Yamato 

Tekkaman Blade  

Sailor Moon

Samurai Pizza Cats

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There were also a number joint - American / Japanese productions... American produced, but animated in Japan by anime studios...

Transformers

Jem (AKA: Jem and the Holograms)

ThunderCats

ETC...

13 hours ago, Marc MacGyver said:

Nice list... I'm curious - before Ninja Scroll did you ever unwittingly watch any anime without realising what it was?

When I think about it, I know I did... I usually list "Fist of the North Star" as my first anime, but in reality it was the first I actively sought out. 

Before then I'd already watched...

Speed Racer

Space Battleship Yamato 

Tekkaman Blade  

Sailor Moon

Samurai Pizza Cats

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There were also a number joint - American / Japanese productions... American produced, but animated in Japan by anime studios...

Transformers

Jem (AKA: Jem and the Holograms)

ThunderCats

ETC...

Some of the joint american/japanese productions, though I wouldn't consider them as the same, but that's really semantics. I was a Thundercats fan growing up. I knew of speed racer, but never watched that I can remember, and if I did, it was something that was just on, not something I actually watched. 

8 hours ago, Forge said:

Some of the joint american/japanese productions, though I wouldn't consider them as the same, but that's really semantics. I was a Thundercats fan growing up. I knew of speed racer, but never watched that I can remember, and if I did, it was something that was just on, not something I actually watched. 

Agreed, the hybrids / collabs  perhaps stretch the classification of anime a bit too far. I found it interesting - though, because it wasn't until I'd become a fan of anime that it triggered recognition of the animation styles in some of those early cartoons. It came as no great surprise to find the Japanese involvement upon investigation.   

Another hybrid film I saw much later, but instantly recognised the animation style was a 1982 animated feature called  "The Last Unicorn."

Then of course there was "Kimba the White Lion" - which was one of my mother's favourites growing up. So, technically she discovered anime before me, but just didn't know it. 

7 hours ago, iLikeDefense said:

From what I can recall but my very first exposure to anime had to of been Sailor Moon, Ronin Warriors and Macross. I think what really got me into anime was Tenchi, Gundam, DBZ, Trigun and Cowboy Bebop. 

I can thank CN for bringing me all those shows.  Also Orphen & Inuyasha...  Good times B|

Edited by Marc MacGyver
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2017 at 10:52 AM, Forge said:

6. Princess Mononoke

5. Ghost in the Shell

4.  Spirited Away

Ninja Scroll was my gate way to Hentai. 

My first anime I think was Voltron. And still is one of my favorites.

Another I loved was Dark Side Blues.

• Like 1

LMAO^^

all this love for Ninja Scrolls. I've never heard of it but I'll watch it this weekend because of all the high praise. |

But before that, I'm starting to watch Elfen Lied tonight. No idea what it's about except it's gory and edgy.

• Like 1

Well after the first episode I can definitely say that gory and edgy just about sums it up. Peoples heads getting graphically ripped off, killing people with a pencil (with a ******* pencil!), and boobs. It's definitely got me interested, now I just need to see some substance with that style. 

Also, 2000's character animations just look kinda weird to me.

On 10/13/2017 at 11:23 PM, Geek said:

Just finished watching the movie Perfect Blue. Maybe I'm still a little excited from recently finishing the film but it's one of the best anime movies I've ever seen. An absolute roller coaster ride of a mind ****. I love psycological thrillers and this is a masterpiece right up there with some of the best of them like Black Swan, Requiem for a Dream, and Jacob's Ladder.

I liked it, but it had a little too much ambiguity at the end.

7 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

I liked it, but it had a little too much ambiguity at the end.

I kind of prefer movies and shows with some ambiguity. It gives you something to ponder after the movie is finished. I'll admit the Perfect Blue ended pretty ambiguous, but I think it helps it fit the themes of the movie. The main character is struggling to discern what is real and what is not and as an audience, we also are left with a conclusion in which we must struggle to figure out how much of it is "real". It ends up giving the movie an extra layer of intrigue in my opinion. But at the same time, I understand why people like movies with a definitive ending, in a way it's more satisfying knowing exactly what happened to the characters. But like I said earlier,  I think the ending fits very well with the themes of the movie so I'm not too bothered.

47 minutes ago, Geek said:

I kind of prefer movies and shows with some ambiguity. It gives you something to ponder after the movie is finished. I'll admit the Perfect Blue ended pretty ambiguous, but I think it helps it fit the themes of the movie. The main character is struggling to discern what is real and what is not and as an audience, we also are left with a conclusion in which we must struggle to figure out how much of it is "real". It ends up giving the movie an extra layer of intrigue in my opinion. But at the same time, I understand why people like movies with a definitive ending, in a way it's more satisfying knowing exactly what happened to the characters. But like I said earlier,  I think the ending fits very well with the themes of the movie so I'm not too bothered.

I don't mind some ambiguity, but it was too much. It's like they marched down the field, then took a knee at the goal line. 

Ambiguity is indeed a theme of the movie, but I feel like an ultra ambiguous ending is a cop-out to creating a definite ending, which can then be criticized, in many cases. Because how many shows/movies have been made where people say "Yeah, it was really good, but the ending sucked."? The ambiguous ending lets the each individual viewer choose what more suits them, I think.

Maybe if the writer just nudged the audience slightly more in a certain direction, I'd have declared it a masterpiece.