2018 NFL Free Agency

Louis Friend

9 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

He wouldn't take that deal... There are rumors he's tired of taking pay cuts for the pats. If he's cut he's likely going to want to be the highest paid TE in the NFL.

So basically.. let's forget it and move on.

3 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

So basically.. let's forget it and move on.

Probably, I mean he's definitely worth being the highest paid TE in the NFL when he's healthy but I really don't think paying that much for the position is the right move for this particular team right now.

If you can get Gronk you have to do it IMO. He's one of maybe 5 players that you simply cannot replicate. **** you may never replicate him. 

I was thinking maybe Tate and Roberts for him. Pats get a cheap young TE and a WR to replace Cooks. Both fit their system well. Gronk has too many injury and retirement threat related issues to have a ton more value than that. If he tears his ACL and retires, at least we wouldn't have locked ourselves into him or Tate long term and can use that cap space to fill the hole. You eat the Roberts loss for what it is. 

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:23 AM, Karnage84 said:

DAt that kind of money, I'm not sure that I would actually take it on. There is no question that Gronk is a much better player than Ebron. However Ebron didn't have the same injury history and was actually cheaper. This kind of move would make a pretty sizable impact on our cap space.

I'd rather just wait for the Pats to cut him and get him on a 3 year $7M/year deal.

Damn homey that's less than Ebron got!

3 common traits for our new TEs fwiw

- ALl graded as better run blockers than both Fells and Ebron on PFF last year

- All have a better history when it comes to drop rate than Ebron

- All have a history of better RZ success than Ebron - Roberts had 16 TDs as a senior, Wilson caught 4/4 RZ targets for 4 TDs, Toilolo 2/2 same category(and of course he's 6'8)

So in short, our TEs are here to run block, not screw up with drops and be Rz weapons. They do seem to think Willson has some upside though, and it makes sense as he graded elite athletically out of college and has strong numbers in terms of separation created. Graham screwed his development though. 

39 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Damn homey that's less than Ebron got!

Ebron doesn't have the same injury history that Gronk has. The only reason I think that we would have had a chance at that kind of contract is because a) TE is a need and he'd be a big piece and b) Matt Patricia/Bob Quinn connection.

39 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

3 common traits for our new TEs fwiw

- ALl graded as better run blockers than both Fells and Ebron on PFF last year

- All have a better history when it comes to drop rate than Ebron

- All have a history of better RZ success than Ebron - Roberts had 16 TDs as a senior, Wilson caught 4/4 RZ targets for 4 TDs, Toilolo 2/2 same category(and of course he's 6'8)

So in short, our TEs are here to run block, not screw up with drops and be Rz weapons. They do seem to think Willson has some upside though, and it makes sense as he graded elite athletically out of college and has strong numbers in terms of separation created. Graham screwed his development though. 

Solid post. That's a good perspective.

Fun project I did based off PFF grading.

Basically, you need a 70/100 grade to be a reasonable starting option of any sort in this league.  On average, there were enough starters for 18.9 per team across the league in 2019. The Eagles lead the league with 26. This is a simple baseline and not a full roster assessment. For added context, players in the 80-86 range are generally your pro bowlers, 87 and up your All Pros. 95 is usually about where guys max out, but Donald dropped a 99.9, matched only by Watt in his prime IIRC. 55-69 range is a functional backup, below is basically trash for one reason or another. 

The Lions have the following players as starting caliber

Stafford,Riddick,Wagner,Lang,Glasgow,Tate,Jones,Jones on offense. Golladay was the top graded non starting caliber WR(64 WRs qualified), same for Blount at RB(40 RBs qualified), a 69.9 for both so really right there.. Dahl didn't have enough snaps to qualify, but he did grade high 60s(Swanson was a 30s) in his small sample. Interior OL and OL in general is PFF's thinnest position, averaging only 2.9 starting caliber OL per team. While Decker did not qualify, he did grade high 60s still with no camp, coming off a major injury. He was in the high 70s or low 80s as a rookie and a top 20 OT(either side). Roberts and Toilolo graded in the 60s, Willson 40s IIRC. He had a couple uncharacteristic drops and a very small sample size as a receiver though. So 8 starting caliber players, 5 on the cusp. One more at RB would be nice eh

Defensively

Slay,Quin,Diggs,JRM,Zettel,Ansah,Robinson,Williams, Spence, Kennard, Washington were your starting caliber guys. 11 starting caliber players in total. Zettel, Ansah and Diggs low 80s, Slay and Quin near 90. 80 corners, 63 safeties, 47 off ball LBs, 91 interior OL(remember 3-4 teams start 3 here) and 75 edges qualified. D is deep due to the different schemes and alignments used and just general depth of talent mostly in the front 7. Even at just over 5 starting caliber edges plus interior DL per team, the Lions still have 7 tho. Fwiw, Davis graded as starting caliber the last 4 games as did Tabor. Lawson and SHead both qualified in 2016. 1-3 more on D would be nice. 

So you're sitting at about a league average number, though both of your last two first round picks are likely qualifiers IMO and you have two exceptionally near misss. Needs 2-4 in the draft and maybe one more like a Ricky Jean Francois(qualified last year) or a Willson to break through. 

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

Ebron doesn't have the same injury history that Gronk has. The only reason I think that we would have had a chance at that kind of contract is because a) TE is a need and he'd be a big piece and b) Matt Patricia/Bob Quinn connection.

Gronk is not hitting the market and signing for less than Ebron. All 31 teams might offer him more than that to be quite frank

3 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Gronk is not hitting the market and signing for less than Ebron. All 31 teams might offer him more than that to be quite frank

If it's a pure money play, you're 100% right. I'm just saying that if I was the Lions FO I would want to bring him in on a reasonable deal and the only reason we would be an option is because of those connections. If Gronk takes a page out of Suh's book he's likely signing with the 49ers and reconnecting with Jimmy G and getting paid in the process.

Not sure I like the Cassel signing.  I am guessing he costs more than Ruddock and Ruddock has been fine.  Guess the coaches have different philosophies but I would rather spend the money elsewhere.  Although the Eagles probably said the same thing this past year so who knows.

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Not sure I like the Cassel signing.  I am guessing he costs more than Ruddock and Ruddock has been fine.  Guess the coaches have different philosophies but I would rather spend the money elsewhere.  Although the Eagles probably said the same thing this past year so who knows.

I don't really see the benefit either, but I was under the impression that Cassel had been out of the league for a while.

Archived