2018 NFL Free Agency

Louis Friend

4 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Cassel is just there to be a veteran camp presence IMO. IMO, Rudock and a rookie will also be there. Cassel will retire after camp if I had to guess. 

Sort of feel the same.

Only thing I'm thinking is really though? This guy over Colin Kaepernick, no one can think Cassel is ACTUALLY better? Idk what this move is really, home boys being home boys of old I guess.

One of about 4-8 signings this offseason that doesn't matter. Veteran body that's just going to go through the motions in camp with the younger guys imo, temporary on field coach. I don't think Ruddocks job is in jeopoardy over this signing or even pushing him.

7 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Sort of feel the same.

Only thing I'm thinking is really though? This guy over Colin Kaepernick, no one can think Cassel is ACTUALLY better? Idk what this move is really, home boys being home boys of old I guess.

One of about 4-8 signings this offseason that doesn't matter. Veteran body that's just going to go through the motions in camp with the younger guys imo, temporary on field coach. I don't think Ruddocks job is in jeopoardy over this signing or even pushing him.

Cassel is only being talked about because it's the beginning of April and there hasn't been another signing to talk about in a few days.

Kaepernick would continue to be a distraction as long as he was on the roster. He's better than Cassel, but he's not talented enough to warrant the distraction he would be. Plus I think I've read he only wants to go somewhere where he can start. That's not happening with Stafford on the roster.

7 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

Cassel is only being talked about because it's the beginning of April and there hasn't been another signing to talk about in a few days.

Kaepernick would continue to be a distraction as long as he was on the roster. He's better than Cassel, but he's not talented enough to warrant the distraction he would be. Plus I think I've read he only wants to go somewhere where he can start. That's not happening with Stafford on the roster.

Personality and experience matter with a team's backup QB. Most teams just want a quiet veteran that can stand on the sideline and not completely screw up if your starter goes down. It's either that or a young, cheap option that you can develop into a starter/backup or maybe trade for picks later. Kaepernick is neither of those. Most teams want their backup QB to be basically invisible, and for better or worse he's not that kind of guy. 

18 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

Neat. It's clear that teams do.

And that's why he's got a collusion case against NFL owners.... I mean I think it's terrible how they all collectively are not bringing this guy in even for workouts lol. But will sign guys like Hoyer/Cassel/Gabbert etc, etc, etc, all of whom you can argue aren't as good as Kap on the field.

It's one of the more blatant cases I've seen without a ton of actually physical proof. I don't think he'll win because a judge/supreme court will have to rule against a bunch/group of the richest/most powerful men in the world with influence everywhere, and while proof is proof a judge will have to do a lot of connecting the dots in this case specifically.

It’s clear the NFL owners think Kap is a distraction and we shall see what happens with his collusion case.

I see it differently. I see a player that displays courage and isn’t afraid of self sacrifice for what he perceives to be the common good. I want guys like that on my team. 

I’m not talking about his beliefs or politics...........just his action and sacrifice.

4 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

And that's why he's got a collusion case against NFL owners.... I mean I think it's terrible how they all collectively are not bringing this guy in even for workouts lol. But will sign guys like Hoyer/Cassel/Gabbert etc, etc, etc, all of whom you can argue aren't as good as Kap on the field.

It's one of the more blatant cases I've seen without a ton of actually physical proof. I don't think he'll win because a judge/supreme court will have to rule against a bunch/group of the richest/most powerful men in the world with influence everywhere, and while proof is proof a judge will have to do a lot of connecting the dots in this case specifically.

Collusion is a group of individuals who communicate together and come to a common end based on mutual decisions. Ex. gas price fixing. If a group of like minded individuals make a decision based on a series of facts and perceived outcomes and come to the same conclusion, it is not necessarily collusion.

The political activism is obviously a factor in the equation but contract demands, desire for opportunity to be starter, system, etc. are also boiled into the decision to bring him on or not.

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Collusion is a group of individuals who communicate together and come to a common end based on mutual decisions. Ex. gas price fixing. If a group of like minded individuals make a decision based on a series of facts and perceived outcomes and come to the same conclusion, it is not necessarily collusion.

The political activism is obviously a factor in the equation but contract demands, desire for opportunity to be starter, system, etc. are also boiled into the decision to bring him on or not.

I think what Kap brought to the table was and has been deemed so bad for business in the NFL they've collectively talked about him never playing ever again in the NFL. Can't prove it unless you get them recorded talking about that, and I already pointed out they won't win based off how many dots a judge/jury or whatever will need to connect.

He deserves a second chance, they're purposely not bringing him in based off the money he cost the league based of his attention/actions.

People are beating women and children and are getting second chances but if you touch the billionairs cash without actually breaking rules I guess they'll ex-communicate you.

1 minute ago, SimbaWho said:

I think what Kap brought to the table was and has been deemed so bad for business in the NFL they've collectively talked about him never player ever again in the NFL.

He deserves a second chance, they're purposely not bringing him in based off the money he cost the league based of his attention/actions.

People are beating women and children and are getting second chances but if you touch the billionairs cash without actually breaking rules I guess they'll ex-communicate you.

I agree with the premise that the NFL does have a mixed up moral code when it comes to talent vs off-field behavior including a variety of criminal charges. As consumers we have the ability to force action. If we were to emphasize personal accountability over W's/L's for our particular team, then the league would have to adjust. A part of this does fall on the fans as we seem to be forgiving of a guy who can run a 4.3 and score TD's wearing our jersey despite having a criminal record for domestic abuse.

If Kaepernick can prove that the owners got together in a room (literally or figuratively) and basically blackballed him, then he would have a case. Having a group of people come to the same conclusion on an individual basis isn't collusion. If I own a business I have the ability to hire and fire anyone that I want to based on the requirements of my business. If we look at the Lions - Rudock is a young guy that has tools the team was looking to develop and possibly trade; Cassell is a veteran guy that has been around, likely has familiarity with some of the concepts Patricia wants to bring to the offense and would be a good person to help break down film with Stafford. Stafford is the unquestioned starter. Kaepernick doesn't fit the system, wants a chance to start and doesn't bring the same ability to breakdown the film as Cassell (based on what Patricia wants to do).

If Kaepernick truly wanted to demonstrate collusion, he would play in the Spring League or CFL and show that he has the ability to be a starting option. One factor in the equation is whether he is capable of playing to the level needed to compete for a spot. It doesn't help his case if he's taken a few steps back and just isn't very good. This would be probable cause for the various teams not to sign him and why he isn't on a roster. The last time he was on the field he wasn't all that good and he hasn't been on a roster recently to prove otherwise. Manziel and Kaep are out of the league for different reasons. However, Manziel is at least on the field trying to show that he deserves a shot back in. If it was purely about football, Kaep would do the same thing.

33 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I agree with the premise that the NFL does have a mixed up moral code when it comes to talent vs off-field behavior including a variety of criminal charges. As consumers we have the ability to force action. If we were to emphasize personal accountability over W's/L's for our particular team, then the league would have to adjust. A part of this does fall on the fans as we seem to be forgiving of a guy who can run a 4.3 and score TD's wearing our jersey despite having a criminal record for domestic abuse.

If Kaepernick can prove that the owners got together in a room (literally or figuratively) and basically blackballed him, then he would have a case. Having a group of people come to the same conclusion on an individual basis isn't collusion. If I own a business I have the ability to hire and fire anyone that I want to based on the requirements of my business. If we look at the Lions - Rudock is a young guy that has tools the team was looking to develop and possibly trade; Cassell is a veteran guy that has been around, likely has familiarity with some of the concepts Patricia wants to bring to the offense and would be a good person to help break down film with Stafford. Stafford is the unquestioned starter. Kaepernick doesn't fit the system, wants a chance to start and doesn't bring the same ability to breakdown the film as Cassell (based on what Patricia wants to do).

If Kaepernick truly wanted to demonstrate collusion, he would play in the Spring League or CFL and show that he has the ability to be a starting option. One factor in the equation is whether he is capable of playing to the level needed to compete for a spot. It doesn't help his case if he's taken a few steps back and just isn't very good. This would be probable cause for the various teams not to sign him and why he isn't on a roster. The last time he was on the field he wasn't all that good and he hasn't been on a roster recently to prove otherwise. Manziel and Kaep are out of the league for different reasons. However, Manziel is at least on the field trying to show that he deserves a shot back in. If it was purely about football, Kaep would do the same thing.

Yes its hard to prove, and likely will not be proven.  However, it has nothing to do with talent.  The numbers he put up his last year were very respectable (top 15 QBR in the league) even with a bad roster and coach.  The time away from football is not an excuse as some of the trash being signed (and signed last year mid-season) have been out of football for a while.  Kap should start for 10 teams in the league and would have a punchers chance to start for 10 more.  There is no excuse for Sam Bradford to be getting $20 Mil a year and Kap can't find a job. 

Everyone is discussing the details of the case which we have no knowledge of.

Kaps legal team won’t be backroom hacks. This case wouldn’t proceed if it didn’t have merit.

Collusion takes many forms and I expect they have sufficient evidence to proceed. 

Archived