Christian McCaffrey saves man's life

RuskieTitan

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22670827/christian-mccaffrey-carolina-panthers-credited-helping-save-man-life

Add saving lives to the list of talents for Carolina Panthers multifaceted running back Christian McCaffrey.

The eighth pick of the 2017 draft was hiking with family and friends in Castle Rock, Colorado, on Saturday when they witnessed Dan Smoker Sr., 72, fall about 20 feet onto a rock while hiking with his grandson, Eli Smoker.

McCaffrey immediately called 911 and then rushed with others in his group to help Smoker, who at the hospital was determined to have suffered a broken femur, pelvis and neck, fractured ribs and had bleeding on the brain.

"I credit them with saving my dad's life," Smoker's son, Dan Smoker, told Panthers.com on Tuesday.

McCaffrey was hiking with his brothers, Dylan and Max, and friends Michael Mann and Brooke Pettet when they walked up on the fall as it occurred.

"It felt like he was in the air for 10 seconds," McCaffrey told the team website. "I had never seen anything quite like that in my life as far as the trauma and the sound. We were in shock."

But not so much that they didn't respond quickly.

Unlike the quarterback on his team who merely pretends to be Superman, Christian McCaffrey (along with friends and family) actually did play the role of a super hero, coming to the aid of a man who suffered a severe trauma and ensured his survival. With stories in the news today about players getting arrested for domestic violence (Aldon Smith) and robbery (Marlon Humphrey), it's good to hear stories about NFL players that help the community and save lives. Didn't think this warranted an NFL News post, but did think it was worth sharing on the forum.

3 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Wow. Good for you, Christian. Keeping those fractured bones and bleeding brain stable is normally something that requires medical training, but you managed to save a life just by being present.

Must have missed the part where he was crucial to the man's survival by dialing 911 and having the paramedics arrive 11 minutes after he dialed. That is rapid response and without his quick thinking and immediate jump to aid, the man could have spent precious more seconds without medical emergency, which could have been the difference between life and death.

Don't act like he was just present and did nothing.

3 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Wow. Good for you, Christian. Keeping those fractured bones and bleeding brain stable is normally something that requires medical training, but you managed to save a life just by being present.

to be fair most of the time you do nothing for cracked ribs other than pain relief and some bleeding brain injuries the same. 

17 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Ya let's discount the positives in the world and exaggerate all the negatives. That'll leave us with some great news.

20 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Remind me what you did today, other than go all passive aggressive on a person who is probably better than you in every single facet imaginable...

3 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Remind me what you did today, other than go all passive aggressive on a person who is probably better than you in every single facet imaginable...

This guy sure takes the interwebs jokes super cereal, sorry I didn't praise this fluff piece that should have been titled "Christian McCaffrey Is Near Accident When It Happens". Why not simply block me like some other midol-addicted mods?

Meh.... he called 911. I am not trying to act like he did nothing. But I am not going to act like this is Hacksaw Ridge 2.0 either.

I am just glad he was there to help and that the old man sounds like he is going to recover.

Guessing it happened in Castlewood Canyon park. I used to go hiking there a lot and there are some steep drop offs and narrow trails. Stepped on a thin layer of snow once that thinly veiled an ice patch, nearly slipped into the canyon if not for being able to grab onto a small tree growing on the edge of the pathway. Thank goodness Mccaffrey was at the right place at the right time to help this gentlemen.

On 3/7/2018 at 10:02 AM, cddolphin said:

Some points from the article: 

- Older gent was hiking with his grandson. Unknown if either of the two were even capable of calling medical services. 

- 11 minutes went by from McCaffrey’s call to the paramedic’s arrival. Questionable how long it would have taken if he and his friends hadn’t been there. 

- McCaffrey made the call while a member of his party performed compressions after the victim stopped breathing.

- The victim’s son fully credits McCaffrey and his friends for saving his father’s life. 

- A man’s life was in danger and even though he suffered life altering injuries, he was saved because some onlookers participated instead of being bystanders like countless others. 

But hey, that’s what I took from the “fluff piece” (that really wasn’t a fluff piece, if you took the 30 seconds to read it). 

I thought mods were supposed to be good posters?

Archived