49ers sign CB Richard Sherman

marky mark

3 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I get the Sherman to New England suggestion, but I wish there were more suggestions out there based on Sherman's background and former coaches.  Don't know why nobody brought up Atlanta.  How's their cap situation?  He was born in Compton.  Makes sense he'd consider the Rams or Chargers.  Rams are a division rival, too, so he might like to try to stick it to the Seahawks.  Rams getting Talib/Peters/Shields makes that less likely. 

He could also go over to San Francisco.  The Niners have been in the discussion on Talib and Peters this season, so they want a corner and they're not afraid to go after big personalities. 

New England only makes sense because everybody thinks everybody goes to New England, but that's really not the case, and New England really doesn't have the cap space for Sherman.  They've got about 20 million right now.  7-8 million goes to rookies.  They have Solder, Burkhead, Fleming, Ammendola, Lewis and Waddle to try to re-sign.  They're not losing two of their offensive linemen to sign a 30-year-old corner coming off an achilles injury I don't think.  Could be wrong though.  They've signed people when I didn't think they had the money for it before. 

Alford and Trufant are an awesome cornerback duo. We don't have much capspace and more pressing needs to give a sizeable contract to Sherman. 

48 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Patriots, Niners, Cowboys and Chargers. One of those four I think.

I know it is cliche to say you can never have enough corners, but the Chargers are four deep at CB. It is their deepest position on the roster. 

7 minutes ago, game3525 said:

I know it is cliche to say you can never have enough corners, but the Chargers are four deep at CB. It is their deepest position on the roster. 

Yeah that’s true. I was probably thinking more that they tick the box for good QB, and he’d be moving back home.

3 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

I think the Packers have a guy who can quarterback ok.

Don’t be insecure! We all know Rodgers is great.

But yes, maybe should include the Packers too. And the Falcons.

Pats, Packers - great QB.

Cowboys - DB coach familiarity, decent chance to win.

Chargers - hometown, good QB.

Niners - where he went to uni, cap space, QB.

Falcons - scheme fit, good QB.

Crazy to think in just one offseason that the Seahawks could field a defense without Sherman, Bennett, Lane, Avril, and possibly Chancellor.

I feel like Schneiders gutting the team and preparing to move on from Carroll next year and start a full rebuild.

That said, i expect Sherman will stay on the west coast or end up in New England. Pats would fit what he wants and he'd fit the Pats system.

4 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

New England only makes sense because everybody thinks everybody goes to New England,

Nah, there were some reports that NE tried to trade for him last offseason. He didn’t poo-poo the idea IIRC. They fit at least one of his criteria of “great QB”. It’s more than “[insert aging veteran] is going to NE”. 

They have Solder, Burkhead, Fleming, Ammendola, Lewis and Waddle to try to re-sign.  They're not losing two of their offensive linemen to sign a 30-year-old corner coming off an achilles injury I don't think.  Could be wrong though.  They've signed people when I didn't think they had the money for it before. 

Only one of those offensive linemen (Solder) are starters. Fleming/Waddle are backups. The running backs are important, though. I do get the feeling that they’re going to let Lewis walk. 

Cap space can be created through a couple roster moves. Gillislee, Allen, Mclellin, Britt and Dorsett create ~$12M. They could also re-structure/extend some deals (Hightower, McCourty, Cannon, Cooks, Gronk). 

I don’t really care if they go for Sherman or not but it’s pretty feasible.

9 minutes ago, riceman80 said:

Crazy to think in just one offseason that the Seahawks could field a defense without Sherman, Bennett, Lane, Avril, and possibly Chancellor.

I feel like Schneiders gutting the team and preparing to move on from Carroll next year and start a full rebuild.

That said, i expect Sherman will stay on the west coast or end up in New England. Pats would fit what he wants and he'd fit the Pats system.

More moving away from the older defense and rebuilding around Russ and Bobby Wagner. 

Archived