When 4 YPC = $100m (A Le'Veon Bell story)

Money

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

This is true to a point but they still have to carry 3 backs.

Yea, that's kinda a no brainer.  What @cjfollett is hitting at though is Bell's a back that can do it all so having him in there isn't a tell at a power run, outside run, screen, pass, or staying in for a pass block.  Quite a few teams need to bring in someone else to do one of those things.  For us, using RB depth is about giving Bell rest, not because we need a different skillset.  That's always a plus.

I agree with most things on Bell's list.  i also agree with him getting everything he can during his playing time.

I think Bell will look back with regret in turning down the 13+M/year deal the Steelers offered.  Should have listened to his Mom.

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

I agree with most things on Bell's list.  i also agree with him getting everything he can during his playing time.

I think Bell will look back with regret in turning down the 13+M/year deal the Steelers offered.  Should have listened to his Mom.

He can still sign a better deal this year if they can come to terms. But if it was me, I'd play under the franchise tag.

59 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

He can still sign a better deal this year if they can come to terms. But if it was me, I'd play under the franchise tag.

He is guaranteed $14.5M this year no matter what.  That can't be changed even if a long term contract is signed.

Him playing this year on the tag is what I have been hoping  for.

I am all for him standing his ground  and getting the biggest contract he can. I am never gonna  hate on a player for getting paid what he can, but I also do not want a massive contract tied up to him over the next 4-6 years. The reality is if he is healthy he gets another 400+ touches this  year again and at that rate I fear he doesn't age as well as being stated. Like I said I am glad it plays out this way. he holds out and doesn't take any extra hits before week 1. I don't care if he needs a month to really get in rhythm like last year because I want he going strong at the end of the year. Next year let him find his market value and if it is more than we can comfortably match then  he walks and we start our search for his replacement. With the size of the deal he would be signed away I'm sure we end up with a 3rd round comp pick the next year to help. That scenario is much better than a guy who is falling apart and we still owe 14 mil per year for another 3 or 4 seasons.

10 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Do you guys honestly think Bell can't get more money in FA? Do you really think the Steelers offered him more money than any other team in the league would?

I dont think that is the most important question the team needs to ask itself or what i personally was implying. It is in only bell's best interest to get the most money any one single team will give. And in this offseason with teams like the browns and jets having crazy large amounts of cap space im sure he would have scrooge mcduck money if he was an unrestricted free agent. The best interest of the team and its future success is to pay him what they are comfortable.

So whether not someone else can pay him more than we offered became irrelevant when we tagged him

30 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Do you guys honestly think Bell can't get more money in FA? Do you really think the Steelers offered him more money than any other team in the league would?

I think that there are some teams would offer more. About 5 teams at least. 

1 hour ago, TXsteeler said:

It seems to me that this question is only relevant if he was a FA. He is not. 

I agree that Bell is a moron.  He's asking way too much.  I also think he's a special talent.  I would much rather tag and trade him than let him walk in FA and get a worthless 3rd comp instead of 1st round + compensation for him. 

I also agree that Bryant is a moron and I'd love to trade him.  I don't trust him at all.  I value him very little as well, and would not even consider re-signing him.  

I don't agree with the trades and the subsequent drafting though.  Bell's value of #31 isn't horrible.  Bryant's of #50 isn't horrible.  But when you trade them and then ignore the positions completely until the 5th round, and then replace only Bell with a scrub that is an athlete only that was benched, and a loser that at the national championship kept shouting "F Donald Trump!"?  I'd never support that scumbag.  So essentially, what you did was take the best RB in the league and replace him with turds.  Jaleel Scott wouldn't be a bad replacement for Bryant though.  

The best part of the draft is getting rid of malcontents and clearing up cap space for other positions.  I think you take Derwin or Fitzpatrick at 14 though, if they even make it that far, and take whatever OLB is around at the next pick.  You got Davenport, Hubbard, Lorenzo Carter, etc.  At S, it's a bunch of duds in this draft IMO.  That is still ignoring ILB, which is the biggest need on the draft, and not addressing RB at all.  I'll do one for the heck of it with trading those guys too.  Ideally you'd be able to con the Clowns into trading #4 for Bell and take Barkley, but that's dreaming of course.

42 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

But what about all the people like OP who talk about bell like he is some POS money grubbing idiot?

I will  agree he is not a money grabbing pos. Like I said for myself I will never bash a player for getting the most pay he can from any team. I just think that question isn't relevant anymore now that he is tagged and playing atleast the next season here.

2 minutes ago, Big Snack said:

I will  agree he is not a money grabbing pos. Like I said for myself I will never bash a player for getting the most pay he can from any team. I just think that question isn't relevant anymore now that he is tagged and playing atleast the next season here.

The question would be irrelevant but a lot of people are still hoping/expecting that Bell signs with the Steelers long term before the season starts and are getting pissed that he is refusing to come down on his offer.

A lot of fans (not here as far as i've seen) are talking mad crap about Bell saying he will retire or hold out all offseason/until week 10 though. And a lot of people are constantly calling Bell dumb for trying to get paid. Too many salty steelers fans stuck in their feelings tbh.

Archived