Rams sign CB Sam Shields

marky mark

4 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

The more I think about this the more you have to question the Rams medical department.. Was it the same regime that brought in Wes Welker after everyone said he was done with concussions?

The Medical Department response - "We blame Jeff Fisher".

3 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

The more I think about this the more you have to question the Rams medical department.. Was it the same regime that brought in Wes Welker after everyone said he was done with concussions?

Why question them though? We have no idea what Shields medical reports look like. If they decided to clear him, and Shields is willing to take the risk, who are we to say anything? No doubt though that the Rams will take a massive PR hit if Shields gets a bad concussion. Man idk, I can see both sides of the argument here but I lean strongly towards these players being grown men and they need to be accountable for their decisions as well. 

1 minute ago, Ketchup said:

Why question them though? We have no idea what Shields medical reports look like. If they decided to clear him, and Shields is willing to take the risk, who are we to say anything? No doubt though that the Rams will take a massive PR hit if Shields gets a bad concussion. Man idk, I can see both sides of the argument here but I lean strongly towards these players being grown men and they need to be accountable for their decisions as well. 

This forum pretty much solely exists to comment, discuss, and/or criticize the decisions made by NFL front offices, coaching staffs, players, etc. :P

1 minute ago, Ketchup said:

I mean, I completely agree with you. Grown men making business decisions. It's ultimately their body to do whatever they want with. Just pointing out that we now have two examples from the same team of guys getting a medical clearance from a history of concussions. Shields has been out of work for a season and the Welker signing never made any sense. Just seems like the Rams medical team may be denying the impact of these concussions more than anyone else in the league.

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Shields is a grown man. If he passes the physical and wants to play, nobody has any business taking that away from him.

What does that make the person who believes he has the right to control another man's life? If the neurologist clears him, who are you to argue with the doctor or force your beliefs onto another man? It's not your life.

If I didn't care about his head I wouldn't have even bothered to read this thread or post here.   He gets even the smallest concussion he will done.  It took him over a year to recover from the last one.

On 3/9/2018 at 12:59 PM, Pugger said:

If I didn't care about his head I wouldn't have even bothered to read this thread or post here.   He gets even the smallest concussion he will done.  It took him over a year to recover from the last one.

Shields up. He'll be fine. If you could pay anyone a million dollars! They'll even do the craziest thing ever.. 

From an ethical standpoint, I hate this move. Not blaming the Rams, but shields should not be playing anymore. 

Getting sick of players with bad concussion histories getting cleared.

i loved shields as a packer, he was one of my favorite players, but he should’ve stayed retired. 

13 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I'm awestruck that he  didn't have an insurance policy that he had already cashed...

Pre-existing conditions would have been excluded.   Unless he was smart enough to get a policy before his first concussion in 2011 he was SOL there. 

23 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Pre-existing conditions would have been excluded.   Unless he was smart enough to get a policy before his first concussion in 2011 he was SOL there. 

So once you had any concussions you can't get one of those? I have my doubts, but I am no expert. I assumed he had something, Finley did, Collins did. At least that's what we were told.

13 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

So once you had any concussions you can't get one of those? I have my doubts, but I am no expert. I assumed he had something, Finley did, Collins did. At least that's what we were told.

Pretty much every policy has that.  It protects you against a new injury but not if it’s a known risk. Kinda how the companies can make the $ they do off these policies (not that they are struggling to make ends meet ¬¬)

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Pretty much every policy has that.  It protects you against a new injury but not if it’s a known risk. Kinda how the companies can make the $ they do off these policies.  

Makes sense. I just figured it wasn't that simple. You'd think a ton of these guys have a diagnosed concussion by the time they hit the pros?

3 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Makes sense. I just figured it wasn't that simple. You'd think a ton of these guys have a diagnosed concussion by the time they hit the pros?

Yup.  Why the policies only make sense if you are a mega star.  Protecting a much bigger potential lost income.  And you have to have a pretty clean history before you buy.  Kind of why your parents might tell you to get life insurance in your early 20’s.  And you look at them like they are crazy.  But which makes sense given you are healthy then. 

(I’ve officially become my dad now.  Ugh). 

Archived