What's your favorite memory as a Vikings fan?

Klomp

Offseason is wrapping up, but it's still a little slow as people are still transitioning over here. I thought this could be a fun way to get some new discussion flowing; something that I don't really remember discussing here.

The question is pretty straightforward, as you read in the thread title....What's your favorite memory as a Vikings fan? Maybe it's the first memory you have of a game...maybe it's when you first became a diehard fan.....maybe it's from a visit to training camp in Mankato or from a game at Metropolitan Stadium or at the Metrodome.

Let's hear 'em!

• Like 1

The memory that stands out the most for me is the game against Denver where Randy Moss caught a deep pass from Culpepper, then pitched it behind his head to Moe Williams for the touchdown. 

My dad and I were not only at the game, but we had seats a couple rows up on the second deck, in the end zone where the play occurred. We were literally getting ready to get up and stretch, go to the bathroom, etc. during half time when the play happened. 

The crowd went went absolutely crazy. 

It's hard to pin down an exact favorite moment, because I'm still waiting for that elusive SB title, which would automatically make it my favorite moment.  But, if I did pin one exact game, it was the playoff game vs the 49ers when Anthony Carter just went off.  I don't think I ever saw before or since a game where the Vikings went in as such tremendous underdogs and just put a whoopin on a legendary team (as many 9ers fans will suggest that that team was their best team).  

Les Steckel getting fired.  No, wait! ... Bud Grant returning from retirement after Steckel was fired.  No, wait! .... Denny Green quitting with one game left in the season.  No, wait!  Mike Tice getting fired.  No, wait! ... ExCoachilly getting fired.  No, um, I'm not sure now.  Oh, yeah; Frazier getting fired.  Oh, wait just a minute!  Brett Favre retiring as a Viking.  Oh, wait!  I better check to see if he played for Chicago after that 'retirement'.  I'll get back with my answer later this week.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

This may be my favorite play, but the whole 2009 season may be my favorite memory. That was the most fun I've ever had watching football in my life. It made me quite jealous that the Packers got to have Favre for so long. 

My brother was a few rows up in the lower-level end zone section for that game. He said the dome got a little loud....

The 1998 season was better than 2009 because the offense was a dominant offense.  The 2009 team just had everything fall into place...it wasn't a dominant team.  That 1998 team was...it's still egregious that they didn't make the Super Bowl and forever taints Denny's legacy for me.  For a franchise full of disappointing performances in big games, that was, by far, probably the biggest failure in the entire history of the franchise...even bigger than losing SB IV.

But, to try to inject some positivity, overall, that season was the best season of Vikings' football I've ever seen.  There was nothing sweeter than watching Randy's coming out party, destroying the Packers on national TV.  

Edited by disaacs
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

This may be my favorite play, but the whole 2009 season may be my favorite memory. That was the most fun I've ever had watching football in my life. It made me quite jealous that the Packers got to have Favre for so long. 

That play was the moment where I fully bought the hype and knew we were going to do some damage that season. I don't think I've ever been as excited or as hopeful for a season than right after that game.

15 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

That's the first thing I thought of too. Pretty much memorized PAs call on that play. Was so pumped for the rest of the season afterward. 

70's - LA Rams' defensive end Deacon Jones being profane  in an interview about how much he hated chasing Fran Tarkenton around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27IUAurwq2s

80's - Ahmad Rashad catching a game winning td on the last play of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q0Xo37id10

90's - Randy Moss' three catches against Dallas on Thanksgiving night. each for over 50 yards and a td.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi_CBD81oWs

00's - any 20+ yard rush by Robert Smith. because if he gained that much, he was gone.

10's - Antoine Winfield demolishing Vick in Philly.

Edited by vike daddy

28 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

00's - any 20+ yard rush by Robert Smith. because if he gained that much, he was gone.

1. Smith retired after the 2000 season.....shouldn't he be under the 90s, or are you specifically referring to one of his 20-yard runs from the 2000 season?

2. My earliest memory as a Vikings fan (don't mock my youth, vd) was the floppy sock play