Dune, (Villeneuve version)

vike daddy

On 10/31/2021 at 10:11 PM, Heimdallr said:

See my post above.

From a literary, artistic, and cultural (yes, I said it), Star Wars is not comparable to Dune.

Star Wars was an action/pop movie that evolved into a massive franchise through marketing. Dune is a literary masterpiece that inspired the next 3 generations of sci-fi media. 

Star Wars is Elvis. Dune is Chuck Berry.

Pretty much.

Maybe Dune never gets turned into a movie without Star Wars, but Star Wars literally - LITERALLY - does not exist without Dune.

• 1 month later...

Finally took the time to watch this. Some notes as it plays:

• I found myself losing interest at a few points and getting distracted.
  • When Josh Brolin speaks all I can hear is Thanos. That isn't the case for every movie he's in, but this performance stood out.
  • In a desert you get a full body suit that can recycle body moisture, but no eye protection?
  • That cluster bombing and laser would have made more sense as an initial attack since they apparently don't care about keeping spice harvesting infrastructure.
  • They sure show that bull head a lot and I have no idea what it's suppose to mean.
  • I feel like I needed to read the book prior to this for backstory on everything. We just kind of jump in to the middle of events. (I saw the 1984 Dune, but it's been a long time)
  • While I'm sure it would have looked great on the big screen, the story felt like it would be better as a mini-series. Or at least they should have shot it LOTR style where they can release one each year. Two years until the next!? Really?

I was excited for this pre-release. Now that I've seen it, I feel underwhelmed.

4 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:
  • They sure show that bull head a lot and I have no idea what it's suppose to mean

It has to do with the grandfather. He died at the hands of the bull they show. 

Yes, you're going to have a ton of questions if you don't know/read the source material. Read it or, at least, listen to the audiobook. It's worth it.