Dune, (Villeneuve version)

vike daddy

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

as this site's self appointed most highly ranked Dune aficionado and as the originator of this thread nearly 2 1/2 years ago, I have some things to state:

** @Heimdallr has the best understanding of Dune I have read in this thread, follow his posts. props to him.

** comparing Dune, be it Herbert's original book or Villeneuve's film, to Star Wars is rather, well, immature. sorry. one is a compelling piece of literature that has survived for over 50 years and is now being revived, and one is a kiddie's story driven by marketing campaigns. sorry if you feel slighted by that, but I bet even George Lucas might agree with me.

** getting hung up on how technical aspects of the story work, like Navigators folding space or how is the pain created inside the gom jabbar box, is counter productive to understanding the story. all science fiction begins with what is called the suspension of disbelief. you have to go with the flow. how many Star Wars fans question the basis of the Force or the Millennium Falcon going in to hyperdrive?

**concubines and wives. yes, as was stated earlier, Dune marriages and bloodlines are more about strengthening political unions than love stories, so characters are often joined in marriage for stability and power. Jessica loved Leto tremendously and bore him a son against her Bene Gesserit mandate to produce a daughter (who then would have become the mother of the Kwisatz Haderach) because she knew Leto wanted a male heir. that decision on her part, from love of her man, created the entire story of Dune. as a teaser but not a spoiler, I'll tell you Paul takes both a wife and a concubine.

** spice is not currency, other than it has tremendous value that can be converted in to the acquisition of other goods. Frank Herbert was an early environmentalist and ecologist, and those themes are one of several that are central to the world building of Dune. (heck, one of the supporting characters IS an Ecologist, how many books contain those?) the spice of Dune is the crude oil of our world, but even more so as it has health benefits to the addicted user too.

** interestingly enough, a line spoken in the Dune film, that did not appear at this time in the book's story, tells you the outcome and climax of Part Two. but that i won't write of here.

** lastly and most importantly, many of you are "reviewing" the Dune film for its... accuracy... and comparing it to other film and tv story experiences. that's fine, that's how some people's minds work, but it keeps you from feeling the full effect. Dune, both the book and this year's film, are pieces of art. we don't get those too often in our lives, maybe once a decade, and we have to appreciate them when they do appear.

think about van Gogh's painting, Starry Night.... it is valued at over $100 million, but when examining it closely, it is inaccurate and flawed. the buildings are not geometrically correct, the stars are out of scale, the colors aren't really accurate. but it has tremendous value, it is appreciated, it is respected, even revered. it is art.

for those of you who grew up in the Star Wars era, do not mistake catchy story lines and shoot 'em up action scenes for art. learn how to appreciate the finer things you may only experience a few times in your lives.

peace.

Its pretty clear Lucas was inpsired by Dune and thats ok. The comparison isnt ridiculous  

• Like 2

Star Wars was driven by marketing campaigns?  lol what condescending nonsense.  Maybe years later to an extent with the prequels but certainly not out of the box with the original trilogy.  And unequivocally not with Ep. 4.   Or maybe some ppl just don't know anything about A New Hope or just how easily Fox gave Lucas all the merchandising rights as a throw-in bcuz Fox didn't value things like that whatsoever.  

I really dig this new Dune movie and let's be real- it's off the strength of Denis Villeneuve but its impact is insignificant next to the power of the force.  And let's not act like Dune doesn't have tons of issues itself.  Or would even exist on film if it wasn't for Star Wars.  The Phantom Menace is The Godfather compared to the first Dune movie lol.

Edited by thrILL!

7 hours ago, Knowledge said:

Its pretty clear Lucas was inpsired by Dune and thats ok. The comparison isnt ridiculous  

Ya, Vike came across as a pompous goof in that write up. Just because he likes one and (apparently?) not the other, doesnt mean you cant compare them or see similarities. 

6 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Or would even exist on film if it wasn't for Star Wars.  The Phantom Menace is The Godfather compared to the first Dune movie lol.

The fact that Lynch butchered the first attempt at a movie obviously set the franchise back 25 years, but that shouldn’t take away from the strength and potential of the source material. 

I haven’t seen the new movie yet so I can’t compare it to any of the Star Wars movies, but let’s not pretend that any of those are magnificent displays of cinema. They are fun pop movies. Nothing wrong with that at all, but the depth and scale of the Dune saga (books) dwarfs Star Wars. (Same thing with Game of Thrones but we know how that turned out……….)

Now that we have the tech and skill to make a proper Dune movie, it absolutely would have happened without Star Wars. Dune was the breakthrough (and I would argue, pinnacle) of Sci-Fi. 

9 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I dont think I did. But feel free to tell me why you think I did.

See my post above.

From a literary, artistic, and cultural (yes, I said it), Star Wars is not comparable to Dune.

Star Wars was an action/pop movie that evolved into a massive franchise through marketing. Dune is a literary masterpiece that inspired the next 3 generations of sci-fi media. 

Star Wars is Elvis. Dune is Chuck Berry.

1 minute ago, Heimdallr said:

See my post above.

From a literary, artistic, and cultural (yes, I said it), Star Wars is not comparable to Dune.

Star Wars was an action/pop movie that evolved into a massive franchise through marketing. Dune is a literary masterpiece that inspired the next 3 generations of sci-fi media. 

The comparison was about plot points. Which is why this post is almost as terrible as Vikes post.

45 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Star Wars was an action/pop movie that evolved into a massive franchise through marketing. 

This new Dune film is excellent but it’s no A New Hope or The Empire Strikes Back. And those aren’t what they are bcuz of marketing so quit fronting. 

Edited by thrILL!
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

See my post above.

Lol…