Dune, (Villeneuve version)

vike daddy

21 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I really enjoyed it but man the story just feels so incomplete, can't wait for the sequel.

2 years is the preliminary release date.  They should have had some confidence in this and filmed it all at once and then break it up into however many movies.  Supposedly this movie has like a 4 hour cut (i've heard 6 hours even, but that seems a bit hyperbolic) it could have been more than just two movies and they could have released it once a year Lord of the Rings style.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

2 years is the preliminary release date.  They should have had some confidence in this and filmed it all at once and then break it up into however many movies.  Supposedly this movie has like a 4 hour cut (i've heard 6 hours even, but that seems a bit hyperbolic) it could have been more than just two movies and they could have released it once a year Lord of the Rings style.

Yeah I've heard covid and the uncertainty about movie theaters / how much the film would gross slowed things up. I'm looking forward to the second film. The movie was good and did an excellent job of laying the ground work for the Dune cinematic universe but it really just felt like an episode 1. 

On 10/26/2021 at 7:09 PM, thrILL! said:

Nah.  Akira Kurosawa and Joseph Campbell are Lucas' biggest influences.

Yep, Lucas put a myriad of things into Star Wars like Greek & Arthurian myth, The Bible, WW II aerial dogfighting, military history and of course Flash Gordon.  Dune was just one of the things he borrowed from to make his masterpiece.

Edited by FosterTheSkins
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah I've heard covid and the uncertainty about movie theaters / how much the film would gross slowed things up. I'm looking forward to the second film. The movie was good and did an excellent job of laying the ground work for the Dune cinematic universe but it really just felt like an episode 1. 

I called it a 2.5 hour prologue in my initial reaction. I still think that holds true.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

I'm sorry, but I just need to re-iterate the David Lynch version of Dune is easily the worst movie I have ever seen. Both in terms of just technical film-making, and trying to adapt a book to a movie. Literal 0/10 and the worst $0.99 I have ever spent. Shame on everyone involved.

Thats why its awesome. Cult Classic. 

10 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

I'm sorry, but I just need to re-iterate the David Lynch version of Dune is easily the worst movie I have ever seen. Both in terms of just technical film-making, and trying to adapt a book to a movie. Literal 0/10 and the worst $0.99 I have ever spent. Shame on everyone involved.

Have you seen Halloween Kills?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I called it a 2.5 hour prologue in my initial reaction. I still think that holds true.

I think Villeneuve wants to do a trilogy which would make sense.  Bcuz pt 2 alone could be all about Paul and the Fremen.  Will we even see the Emperor until pt3?  No way Paul fulfills the prophecy earlier than a third film.

5 hours ago, thrILL! said:

I think Villeneuve wants to do a trilogy which would make sense.  Bcuz pt 2 alone could be all about Paul and the Fremen.  Will we even see the Emperor until pt3?  No way Paul fulfills the prophecy earlier than a third film.

He apparently wants to do the rest of the first book in part 2, then do Messiah as a third film.

Gotta say after seeing it I hope they throw all the money they need at it.

• Like 3

On 10/28/2021 at 1:18 PM, thrILL! said:

I really hope that we get all 3 films. My only concern is that a potential lack of box office success could stop that from happening. Would've loved for them to have went with a GOT type series instead of movies, Dune deserves 10-12 hour seasons with all of the world building that's required. 

as this site's self appointed most highly ranked Dune aficionado and as the originator of this thread nearly 2 1/2 years ago, I have some things to state:

** @Heimdallr has the best understanding of Dune I have read in this thread, follow his posts. props to him.

** comparing Dune, be it Herbert's original book or Villeneuve's film, to Star Wars is rather, well, immature. sorry. one is a compelling piece of literature that has survived for over 50 years and is now being revived, and one is a kiddie's story driven by marketing campaigns. sorry if you feel slighted by that, but I bet even George Lucas might agree with me.

** getting hung up on how technical aspects of the story work, like Navigators folding space or how is the pain created inside the gom jabbar box, is counter productive to understanding the story. all science fiction begins with what is called the suspension of disbelief. you have to go with the flow. how many Star Wars fans question the basis of the Force or the Millennium Falcon going in to hyperdrive?

**concubines and wives. yes, as was stated earlier, Dune marriages and bloodlines are more about strengthening political unions than love stories, so characters are often joined in marriage for stability and power. Jessica loved Leto tremendously and bore him a son against her Bene Gesserit mandate to produce a daughter (who then would have become the mother of the Kwisatz Haderach) because she knew Leto wanted a male heir. that decision on her part, from love of her man, created the entire story of Dune. as a teaser but not a spoiler, I'll tell you Paul takes both a wife and a concubine.

** spice is not currency, other than it has tremendous value that can be converted in to the acquisition of other goods. Frank Herbert was an early environmentalist and ecologist, and those themes are one of several that are central to the world building of Dune. (heck, one of the supporting characters IS an Ecologist, how many books contain those?) the spice of Dune is the crude oil of our world, but even more so as it has health benefits to the addicted user too.

** interestingly enough, a line spoken in the Dune film, that did not appear at this time in the book's story, tells you the outcome and climax of Part Two. but that i won't write of here.

** lastly and most importantly, many of you are "reviewing" the Dune film for its... accuracy... and comparing it to other film and tv story experiences. that's fine, that's how some people's minds work, but it keeps you from feeling the full effect. Dune, both the book and this year's film, are pieces of art. we don't get those too often in our lives, maybe once a decade, and we have to appreciate them when they do appear.

think about van Gogh's painting, Starry Night.... it is valued at over $100 million, but when examining it closely, it is inaccurate and flawed. the buildings are not geometrically correct, the stars are out of scale, the colors aren't really accurate. but it has tremendous value, it is appreciated, it is respected, even revered. it is art.

for those of you who grew up in the Star Wars era, do not mistake catchy story lines and shoot 'em up action scenes for art. learn how to appreciate the finer things you may only experience a few times in your lives.

peace.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

as this site's self appointed most highly ranked Dune aficionado and as the originator of this thread nearly 2 1/2 years ago, I have some things to state:

** @Heimdallr has the best understanding of Dune I have read in this thread, follow his posts. props to him.

** comparing Dune, be it Herbert's original book or Villeneuve's film, to Star Wars is rather, well, immature. sorry. one is a compelling piece of literature that has survived for over 50 years and is now being revived, and one is a kiddie's story driven by marketing campaigns. sorry if you feel slighted by that, but I bet even George Lucas might agree with me.

** getting hung up on how technical aspects of the story work, like Navigators folding space or how is the pain created inside the gom jabbar box, is counter productive to understanding the story. all science fiction begins with what is called the suspension of disbelief. you have to go with the flow. how many Star Wars fans question the basis of the Force or the Millennium Falcon going in to hyperdrive?

**concubines and wives. yes, as was stated earlier, Dune marriages and bloodlines are more about strengthening political unions than love stories, so characters are often joined in marriage for stability and power. Jessica loved Leto tremendously and bore him a son against her Bene Gesserit mandate to produce a daughter (who then would have become the mother of the Kwisatz Haderach) because she knew Leto wanted a male heir. that decision on her part, from love of her man, created the entire story of Dune. as a teaser but not a spoiler, I'll tell you Paul takes both a wife and a concubine.

** spice is not currency, other than it has tremendous value that can be converted in to the acquisition of other goods. Frank Herbert was an early environmentalist and ecologist, and those themes are one of several that are central to the world building of Dune. (heck, one of the supporting characters IS an Ecologist, how many books contain those?) the spice of Dune is the crude oil of our world, but even more so as it has health benefits to the addicted user too.

** interestingly enough, a line spoken in the Dune film, that did not appear at this time in the book's story, tells you the outcome and climax of Part Two. but that i won't write of here.

** lastly and most importantly, many of you are "reviewing" the Dune film for its... accuracy... and comparing it to other film and tv story experiences. that's fine, that's how some people's minds work, but it keeps you from feeling the full effect. Dune, both the book and this year's film, are pieces of art. we don't get those too often in our lives, maybe once a decade, and we have to appreciate them when they do appear.

think about van Gogh's painting, Starry Night.... it is valued at over $100 million, but when examining it closely, it is inaccurate and flawed. the buildings are not geometrically correct, the stars are out of scale, the colors aren't really accurate. but it has tremendous value, it is appreciated, it is respected, even revered. it is art.

for those of you who grew up in the Star Wars era, do not mistake catchy story lines and shoot 'em up action scenes for art. learn how to appreciate the finer things you may only experience a few times in your lives.

peace.

5shd6a.jpg