Danny Shelton to New England. Pick swap?

miserablesince96

2 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

Stupid next year we go to a 3-4 and give away miles garrett

Difference is Garrett has skills that rise above scheme, dude can get after the QB. Shelton was only good at eating blocks and space, those are skills you dont want from a UT. Ideal for a NT but worthless for a UT, especially one under William

9 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

You guys are forgetting how well Coley looked in limited snaps also. He'll replace him at NT.

I liked Coley and Ogunjobi. those guys will be a great starting duo as the UT and OT. I am excited about Brantley.

12 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I liked Coley and Ogunjobi. those guys will be a great starting duo as the UT and OT. I am excited about Brantley.

This.

I am not upset at all that we gave Shelton's fat arse away.

Plus, wait until you see his replacement!

1 minute ago, bruceb said:

This.

I am not upset at all that we gave Shelton's fat arse away.

Plus, wait until you see his replacement!

I cant understand the upset with it.

Yeah it sucks that he didnt workout, Thanks Farmar! Shelton just didnt fit the schemes. I dont remember Williams have big run stuffing UTs with the rams, Saints, and etc.

You look at the DTs when he won the superbowl, it was Ellis 6'1 300lbs and Ayodele 6'2 310 lbs (filled in at Clancy got hurt who was 6'1 305lbs. With the rams his DTs were Donald 6'1 285 and Brockers 6'5 320. Look back when he took the Titans to the superbow. DTs were Evans 6'3 280 and Fisk 6'3 295.

where does a 6'2 345 type of DT fit in to what Williams scheme?

Like I dont get it, it be like playing a pocket QB in a triple option offense. Yeah the QB might make a big play or two but he just doesnt fit the scheme. Shelton is going to be addition by subtraction. Shelton wasnt the worse guy on the team but the Browns can just improve by getting the proper players into this scheme

41 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

You guys are forgetting how well Coley looked in limited snaps also. He'll replace him at NT.

I don't want to be a downer but I didn't really see a lot in Coley.  A lot of pre-season hype and a JAG during the regular season.

8 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

I don't want to be a downer but I didn't really see a lot in Coley.  A lot of pre-season hype and a JAG during the regular season.

Mostly agree about Coley.

He is a piece but I have a feeling that we are going after bigger fish for the front seven.

22 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I cant understand the upset with it.

Yeah it sucks that he didnt workout, Thanks Farmar! Shelton just didnt fit the schemes. I dont remember Williams have big run stuffing UTs with the rams, Saints, and etc.

You look at the DTs when he won the superbowl, it was Ellis 6'1 300lbs and Ayodele 6'2 310 lbs (filled in at Clancy got hurt who was 6'1 305lbs. With the rams his DTs were Donald 6'1 285 and Brockers 6'5 320. Look back when he took the Titans to the superbow. DTs were Evans 6'3 280 and Fisk 6'3 295.

where does a 6'2 345 type of DT fit in to what Williams scheme?

Like I dont get it, it be like playing a pocket QB in a triple option offense. Yeah the QB might make a big play or two but he just doesnt fit the scheme. Shelton is going to be addition by subtraction. Shelton wasnt the worse guy on the team but the Browns can just improve by getting the proper players into this scheme

I don't like that comparison at all.  An immobile QB in the triple threat offense would be absolutely crippling because a QB runs your entire offense.  Just because Danny Shelton doesn't get great penetration into the backfield doesn't mean the defense ceases to function because he's in there.

It's actually hard to make the argument that Shelton was ineffective in Greg William's scheme anyways.  Didn't we lead the league in tfl's?  YPC against?  He doesn't have to make the tackles himself to help some of mediocre guys look great.  I think somebody like Joe Schobert can tip their hat to Shelton for keeping him clean all year because I've never seen him beat a block once.

And it's not like a 2019 3rd rounder, from the Pats who will be picking low, after you give up a 2018 5th rounder is some sort of great investment into the future.  I'd rather let Shelton play for a year and lose him in FA honestly.  It's not a move that necessitates being FURIOUS about, but we've seen the Browns make a million of these moves every regime change and it doesn't make it not dumb.

And also why help the Patriots?

3 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

Lolwut? What preseason hype? 

He he played well in the limited time he was in. Plays the run well.

5 hours ago, pnies20 said:

Lolwut? What preseason hype? 

The hype that took him from a guy everyone expected to be cut to a starter?

5 hours ago, pnies20 said:

He he played well in the limited time he was in. Plays the run well.

Meh.  Looks like a JAG.  I’d argue he should have been our 4th DT by the end of last season.

2 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

What about Caleb Brantley?

A borderline first round prospect that fell to the 7th because of that situation.

He’s got a more versatile skill set.

I’d expect him to play more, especially on passing downs.  Kid can get after a qb a bit.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The hype that took him from a guy everyone expected to be cut to a starter?

Meh.  Looks like a JAG.  I’d argue he should have been our 4th DT by the end of last season.

Don't remember a single person anywhere hyping him in preseason.

Again, just like Barkley, you're entitled to your opinion, even though it's wrong (jk). Coley improved throughout the season in few snaps. They may address nose, which is fine, but he'd do well as a starter if he continues to improve. He's just a 2 down player just like Shelton was at a fraction of the price.

Archived