Danny Shelton to New England. Pick swap?

miserablesince96

24 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

Good point i have not seen the scheme enough to comment on that.

But my guess is that his comp pick maybe higher than what we got back as he will the highest paid dl.

Also he was at least a middle of the road dt so now you have to use a high draft pick to replace him just to get back where we were

Well you go back to every team Greg Williams has coached for and had his best success. His DTs were never Danny Shelton large. None of them were 6'2 245lb. Biggest guy was Brocker but he was 6'5 325.They were typically 6'1 300lbs. Dude likes the quicker DTs who can own their single gap and penetrate. Shelton was never going to be that kind of player. Shelton, eats space and occupies blockers. Dude is a pretty good NT. Perfect for a 3/4 but doesnt have the skill set for the 4/3 

I believe the highest a comp pick can be in the NFL is a 3rd rd comp.

Browns dont really need to draft a DT. They have solid depth right now with Obunjobi, Coley, and Brantley. IMO I would love to see them bring in a vet at the position. A guy who is a depth player but can bring a vet presence to the position group. I would love to bring in a guy like  Dominique Easley. He had a solid year under Wiliams in '16. He could be cheap after coming off the injury and he could benefit being a rotational guy as he comes back. Also potentially drafting a replacement guy in the 2nd rd wouldnt be that bad because he would be a guy who is built for the 4/3 UT position. 

2 hours ago, TheeRealDeal said:

It is actually significantly lower than 1%. 5-7th round picks finding guys who even stick in the league beyond 2 years is incredibly rare. Everyone likes to remember the big hits like Brady, Brown and others but they always seem to forget there were 130+ other players drafting in those rounds each year who failed miserably, and the hits are usually years apart. 

Which shows logically kessler is worth a 6th to a team without a back up. 

Hell if Erving goes for a 5th Kessler shouldnt be any lower. 

12 hours ago, pnies20 said:

Don't remember a single person anywhere hyping him in preseason.

Again, just like Barkley, you're entitled to your opinion, even though it's wrong (jk). Coley improved throughout the season in few snaps. They may address nose, which is fine, but he'd do well as a starter if he continues to improve. He's just a 2 down player just like Shelton was at a fraction of the price.

12 hours ago, pnies20 said:

https://scout.com/nfl/browns/Article/Who-is-Trevon-Coley-and-why-might-his-play-push-a-veteran-off-th-106051445

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2017/08/02/cleveland-browns-trevon-coley/

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/09/trevon_coley_cleveland_browns.html

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/25/trevon-coley-a-lot-of-hard-work-puts-browns-dt-in-position-to-start/

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/13/trevon-coley-making-his-name-known-in-cleveland/

No hype?

10 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Which shows logically kessler is worth a 6th to a team without a back up. 

Hell if Erving goes for a 5th Kessler shouldnt be any lower. 

I would agree with you; however, NFL teams still value picks far too much. New England is about the only team who truly understands the value of mid-late round picks. They ship them off every year for proven NFL talent. Its often times for JAGs but those JAGs have still proven they can play in the league whereas most 4th-7th rounder cannot cut it at all in the NFL.

I am still hoping we swing our remaining 5th round pick for Malcolm Jenkins to start at FS.

13 hours ago, brownie man said:

Gotta think we get another QB in the draft

Maybe we actually do go QB at 1 and at 4

wow 

Darnold and Baker?

This has a 0% chance of happening. I wouldn't even hate it, but it's not happening. If we decided to do this, I'd want to take Darnold, trade down at 4, and take Lamar Jackson at #21 as part of the #21/#22 deal we swung with Buffalo.    But yeah, this won't happen and probably shouldn't, as interesting as it would be to see.

4 hours ago, TheeRealDeal said:

I would agree with you; however, NFL teams still value picks far too much. New England is about the only team who truly understands the value of mid-late round picks. They ship them off every year for proven NFL talent. Its often times for JAGs but those JAGs have still proven they can play in the league whereas most 4th-7th rounder cannot cut it at all in the NFL.

I am still hoping we swing our remaining 5th round pick for Malcolm Jenkins to start at FS.

I would prefer Malcom Jenkins at FS to the next Jordan Peyton. 

6 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

FA, Rookie, BBC, McCourty, Micheal the GOAT Jordan, UDFA and Jamar Taylor to the recycle center. 

That's what i'm thinking too.  With how deep the market is for CB's in free agency, and the draft is pretty deep at CB also, we should be in good shape.

Honestly I wouldn't mind keeping Taylor for a year or so until the rookie comes around though.  He hasn't been that bad, hes been up against #1 and #2 WR's when he should have been up against 3s and 4s.

Also McCourty off the #1's is a good move too.  A FA CB will do a LOT to this team....

Archived